PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   What are your top 5 apps? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98503)

breakmyfootoff 11-25-2009 12:34 AM

What are your top 5 apps?

Deleted. OrangeKid and the other Crapple fans are ruining this site, and I no longer wish to be part of it.

Nickles 11-25-2009 01:10 AM

Re: What are your top 5 apps?

1.) Astro File Manager.. essential, and the best one out there (i know, i downloaded and tried just about all of 'em!)

2.) Remote RDP - there is a free one on the market than has sounds and softkeyboard abilities disabled. purchase the key for full featured, however the free one is fantastic for my needs, and i can easily remote into my home PC from the office and control it. Love this program.

3.) Apps Organizer - this lets you assign 'tags' to your installed programs, and then group them in 'folders' on your home screen. Folders like Multimedia, Tools, Internet, etc.. (you can also create your own names). you open these 'folders' then all the Apps on your phone that you assign the cooresponding tag to, will appear. The Icons on Apps Organizer are very nice and clean. I'm a menu guy, and this thing is great.

4.) PDANet. Yep the free version (can you tell i don't like to pay for apps?). Tether through BT DUN and USB.. sweet.

5.) Bluetooth File transfer (from Medieval Software). This is a GREAT BT push app, that effortlessly allows me to FTP files back and forth to and from my droid and desktop via BT

6.) AndFTP. Nice full featured FTP app. I can connect to both of my personal FTP servers from anywhere, and transfer files.

7.) BeamReader - until i break down and buy Documents to Go, this is the best Free app for Reading Adobe PDF files. It does it flawlessly.

8.) GPSTest - from the same great folks at Chartcross who gave us the same program for us WinMo users as a primer app. This looks great on the Droid, and has all of the same features PLUS some. Compass, Speedometer, etc...

9.) Dockrunner - allows the Droid to go into Multimedia Mode, without the use of any dock

10.) i Music - haven't NOT found a single MP3 file i searched for yet. Saves them to iMusic folder on your SD card.

11.) MotoTorch LED - widget that turns on your Camera LED's for use as a flashlight. Awesome, and free.

I can go on, but who's counting ?

bornl33t 11-25-2009 04:22 AM

1. Digi clock widget: it's a clock widget...duh. It can be customized, but most of all you can set it to launch an app. Mine launches
2. Night clock: I tried dock runner and it had a specific bug that caused car home to only launch on the second attempt. It would close car home when I rotated the screen too. Night clock lets you set MP3's as alarm sounds too. I think I'm going to buy the dosk because this is the best alarm I've ever had. Bar-none.
3. DOOM: I installed this just to show off. It's HARD to play and basicly not fun....but the droid can do it. GEOMFIGHTER on the other hand is awesome. Gameboid works well and as soon as SCUMM becomes availible for adnroid 2.0 I'll get it too...
4. Geobeagle is my app for geocaching. If you've never done it you should try. I mean you own a droid it's basicly free.
5. Gmote: it's a remote to control media player on your home network. It doubles as a touch pad, like on a laptop...over wifi of course. It includes controls for some of you're most frequent media sites too. So if you have a Home Theater PC and want to watch hulu..well, there's an app for that ;)
6.MotoTorch: I just found this a few days ago. I had it on the omnia and so I'm very excited to have it for the droid. It would seem logical to include it on all phones with a led flash!
7. Speed test: Tests connection speeds.
8.Wifi Analyzer: VERY powerful wifi tool. can aggressivley scann for networks and graph the signal strength.
9.woot checker: watches woot.com for deals.
10.printershare: Print to your printer from anywhere in the world. Have not tried this one yet as my home laptop fried. I'll get it working and post an update if anyones interested.

bbsandkm 11-25-2009 12:52 PM

i am interested on the update for printershare

GRTK_Brandon 11-25-2009 03:56 PM

I use a lot of apps previously mentioned, so I'm going to take the time and list a few apps I use that haven't been listed yet. They're in alphabetical order (and all are free).

Astrid - It's a free to do list with a pretty simple and straight forward interface. You don't have to navigate through any sub-menus to create a new task, and you can color code them by importance along with other options. Check them off to delete as you complete them. Comes with a widget similar to stock calender widgets and allows syncing with your RTM account.

aTrackDog - another simple app that compiles all your apps and checks for updates quickly rather than scrolling through your downloaded apps in the market. Something to note - you still have to install the update from the market. aTrackDog just links you to the apps marketplace link. Would be nice to see an "update all" feature (with permission, of course).

Buzz Deck - This app is in beta, and doesn't work as efficiently as it could, potential is definitely there. Short and to the point - app allows you to personalize a set of "cards" you can swap between and view when the app opens. You can use it as a rss reader (google reader), your Facebook, YouTube, and much more. If you like to stay connected on the go, this is a great app to use for one-stop results.

Dolphin Browser - This one has been mentioned, but it's a great alternative to the native browser. Well... hey, it's actually better. Too many features to go into detail, but they've just added "pinch and zoom", has a neat tabs system, fast, has gestures (similar to Firegestures on Firefox), and much more.

Home Switcher - very basic app that allows you to set a default home if you use different home apps from time to time. The perk of this app is normally when you have different home apps, pressing the home button always asks which home you want to go to, allowing you to set a default. Well, if you set a default then the only way to change it is to dig through menus and settings to reset the default home. Way too much hassle. This app allows you to set the default home, and automatically resets the home button to go to the new default home. Hassle free.

My Coupons - it's a widget that compiles a list of coupons. It's reliable and perfect for budget shoppers. Especially with the holidays creeping up on us so fast.

Pandora - it's Pandora on your mobile phone.

Ruger SR9 - perfect way to vent your frustrations while sitting in heavy traffic. Just kidding, don't do this.

Shazam - a music identifier app that works a little too well. It's scary how accurate it is.

TasKiller - pretty straight forward task manager. Has two widgets: kill all, and a bar displaying current number of free ram, icons for running apps, and also a kill all. Was updated to support ads in favor of unlocking all of the paid features. You can ignore as many apps as you want.

TuneWiki - an alternative music player to Android's native music player. Pulls lyrics from a data base that is displayed on the screen in real time (corresponds with current lyrics being sung in the song karaoke style).

Twidgit Lite - a simple twitter widget that displays the latest tweet from the people you follow. Perfect for the non-twitter fanatic. Opening the widget shows all tweets to which you can respond to, re-tweet, create a new tweet of your own, etc. It also helps that the widget background is transparent.

WeatherBug - a weather app with very detailed views of current weather, 10-day forecast, maps, weather alerts, and camera images from your city.

Where - this is basically a location based app. It's an all-in-one source that allows you to view weather, news, reviews of local businesses, gas prices, movies, traffic, and more. Allows you to communicate with people in your area on the WHERE Wall. I haven't played with this app too much yet, so I'm going to leave it at that. Feel free to check it out.

Like others, I could continue for a while longer, but I'm not. Most of the apps I have listed are used for entertainment purposes. I haven't had the chance to test out some of the more technical apps yet, but I'm definitely going to!

Btw, let's throw in useful widgets also. Be sure to separate them. I'll edit this list to only contain apps, and I'll create another post for widgets when I get a bit more time.

mr4r4n 11-25-2009 10:57 PM

i say go on, lol im looking for any good apps i can get

bornl33t 11-26-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsandkm (Post 1361231)
i am interested on the update for printershare

well I decited not to use it. I like that idea and it is probably the best software for wireless printing availible but it lack features my network needs.

For one it only supports printers attached to an actuall computer. My printer is attched to the network via a print server. Secondly you have to register the softer to receive a user ID. It's free as far as I can tell so that's not my issue. I have no clue if my printer shows up on everyone elses list but once I put my user ID in the droid I can print to printers all around the world with this software installed. I'm guessing I can make my printer private but I have a feeling printing from the internet wouldn't work. There probably is no way to print to a print server...so IF I do ever need to print from the droid...this will again be a valid option.

mihalich 11-26-2009 04:41 PM

IM+ Lite: (Though I may switch to the paid version at some point): Used the pay version of IM+ on WM for 2 years on my XV6700. Very reliable app. I started with Meebo, but Meebo couldn't keep a network connection for more than 2 minutes.

PDA Net (Free): Internet everywhere is back! I used the HTC USB Modem on WM...this is just as good, works flawlessly for basic tethering.
If for some reason I need the laptop in the car cuz the phone isn't good enough, it's no problem now.

Google Places & Where: I use both of these.

The Weather Channel: Works great. Good radar coverage, easy access to multiple locations, love the region video forecast you can watch.

Speed Test: Love this, works great for both VZ Connection speeds and WiFi connection speeds.

My Tracks: Used this in Nevada this past week. Works flawlessly using GPS, when there's no phone service. Tracked our location through the whole park, recording elevation changes, distance, times, etc.

The stock apps I use the most are Google Maps, Stock Email Client (If this had select all/delete support it would be perfect), Contact & Calendar sync through my gmail account.

- Joe

bornl33t 11-26-2009 06:18 PM

just tried out qik....it's cool you gotta try this out!

You create an account on qik.com and download the program for the droid from market place. When you run the app on your phone it streams the picture to the qik website live AND saves the video for review later. Each video can be streamed live or private!

the4head 11-27-2009 12:42 PM

Places Directory - Allows you to browse nearby places in categories like Restaurants, Movie Theaters, and Hotels.

SMS Popup - Creates a popup notification for incoming SMS messages.

Ringtones - Can search for thousands of different ringtones. Was able to find mario brothers, monday night football theme and a bunch of different family guy sounds.

Nesoid/SNesoid - NES and SNES emulator.

Advanced Task Killer - Kills running programs.

Google Voice - Great integration, even if you only use it as a voice mail box.

Shazam - Music ID program

Barcode Scanner - Scan Barcodes and find the items online.

Android Agenda Widget - Shows upcoming events on home screen.

_xv6800 11-27-2009 04:52 PM

fun apps;

Metal Detector - uses the proximity sensor to detect metal objects when phone is held close to an object - iPhone can't do it so it is good to pull out in front of the iPhone crowd :)

Daily Dilbert

Bonsai Blast

Magic 8-ball

Pro Football

useful

Weather Forecast Widgets v2 (paid version) - combines my gmail calendar appts and location aware weather into one widget that is the center of my home screen. touch the days and it launches the calendar in whatever mode you left it (agenda usually). touch the big weather icon it launches the forecast details, refresh and options. Lets you pick your weather icon set from a bunch of options including some HTC ones and some open source ones - even allows you to use the animated HTC one on the forecast details page. For the 0.99 euro ($1.44 USD) I paid for it I am really happy w/it. Uses google weather or Noaa.

Wifi toggle

Pandora - internet radio, you type in an artist and it plays that artist and related artists

Some already mentioned

Dockrunner, Speed Test

Some I am still iffy on;

Listen - googles podcast app
Places - googles category based location aware search

breakmyfootoff 11-28-2009 01:46 AM

deleted

InfamousHB 11-28-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1368209)
Had to add the game "Zombie Run" to the list. It uses GPS to follow you and puts pretend zombies all around you trying to eat your brains. It works surprisingly well, and you can adjust how many zombies there are as well as how fast they move. The point is to make it from your current location to a point you select on the map.

Ahhh. Reading this just makes me want to strangle the mailman for not delivering my phone today!!! angry9:

Sounds cool! Can't wait.

jbag 11-29-2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1368209)
Had to add the game "Zombie Run" to the list. It uses GPS to follow you and puts pretend zombies all around you trying to eat your brains. It works surprisingly well, and you can adjust how many zombies there are as well as how fast they move. The point is to make it from your current location to a point you select on the map.

hahhahaa, i can only imagine what people think of you as you walk down the street killing "zombies" with your phone :) can we turn the zombies into little kittens? =D

jsrje 12-02-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRTK_Brandon (Post 1361850)
Ruger SR9 - perfect way to vent your frustrations while sitting in heavy traffic. Just kidding, don't do this.

Suprised nobody has commented on this... I've thought about it several times. Good thing I have my Droid to play on instead of target practicing in heavy traffic.

goonygugle 12-02-2009 08:48 PM

in no specific order
Astro file manager
mobilo ringtones
better keyboard
snes/nesnoid
spb tv
live football scrores
weather channel
photo safe
video safe
myspace/facebook
and pandahome as my home alternative. oh and i almost forgot handcent, a great sms app

breakmyfootoff 12-03-2009 01:18 AM

deleted

goonygugle 12-03-2009 07:02 AM

You can change the colors and layout, I will use it until some one fixes the HTC keyboard to fit the Droid resolution.

KaliKilla 12-05-2009 03:10 AM

Home++
imusic
snesoid Lite (emulator; I play street fighter, Super Mario Bros Yoshis world) All free....Youtube video in case you don't know how to download free roms(games) for the SNES emulator.
Advanced Task Killer
Act 1 video player (plays my movies ok, still looking for a better one)

z0mbiexx 12-05-2009 11:50 AM

Handcent SMS
Beautiful Widgets
Barcode Scanner
Automatic Task Killer (kind of a pain in the ass sometimes)

all rest i just have but i just got the droid yesterday. so well see as time passes.

GRTK_Brandon 12-05-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z0mbiexx (Post 1388436)
Handcent SMS
Beautiful Widgets
Barcode Scanner
Automatic Task Killer (kind of a pain in the ass sometimes)

all rest i just have but i just got the droid yesterday. so well see as time passes.

I want to add Handcent SMS to my list as well. This app is just an awesome alternative to Google's native messaging app. I had previously read about it on a thread poll asking which messaging app you used, and honestly, the default messaging app is good enough for me, but Handcent splits up your texts and automatically sends 2 separate texts when you reach the 160 character limit. I'm sure as most of you can tell, I'm rather long winded, so this was a must.

When I downloaded it I was completely overwhelmed with the options and some of the customization options. You can change the background, color of chat bubbles, change the LED color, blink pattern, and so much more. It's great! One of the best features is the pop up box when you receive a text. It displays the sender, their picture, the text message itself, and offers you a few options straight from the box, one being a TTS feature which just reads the text aloud via that sexy robotic voice some of us have come to love, hate, or just cringe at. Anyway, Handcent SMS. Highly recommended.

braymeck 12-05-2009 05:14 PM

Great Lists so far, heres some that i use that haven't been mentioned yet:

1. Sports Tap - great for checking scores from pretty much any sport out there

2. Gmote - works great for controlling your computer from a distance, has alot of potential

3. Linda File Manager - Prefer it over astro because it allows you to download certain files from the internet

4. wheres my droid - great app if you misplace your phone alot and like to keep it on vibrate/silent for the most part, allows you to text your phone a predetermined phrase and it automatically turns on your volume and blasts the ringer for about a min.

5. apps organizer - One of my all time favs, allows you to categorize your apps and assign quick shortcuts to your home

6. movies - uses gps to find the closest theaters and show times among many other things

7. wordUP - easily the best free game i have found

EDGE23 12-05-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRTK_Brandon (Post 1388814)
I want to add Handcent SMS to my list as well. This app is just an awesome alternative to Google's native messaging app. I had previously read about it on a thread poll asking which messaging app you used, and honestly, the default messaging app is good enough for me, but Handcent splits up your texts and automatically sends 2 separate texts when you reach the 160 character limit. I'm sure as most of you can tell, I'm rather long winded, so this was a must.

When I downloaded it I was completely overwhelmed with the options and some of the customization options. You can change the background, color of chat bubbles, change the LED color, blink pattern, and so much more. It's great! One of the best features is the pop up box when you receive a text. It displays the sender, their picture, the text message itself, and offers you a few options straight from the box, one being a TTS feature which just reads the text aloud via that sexy robotic voice some of us have come to love, hate, or just cringe at. Anyway, Handcent SMS. Highly recommended.

thanks for the review, i just received my droid yesterday and wasn't sure about downloading the app before reading your post.

hammer1320 12-06-2009 01:40 AM

Has anyone else played with the walkie talkie PTT lite? A friend and I downloaded it as a joke to see what it does and its actually cool! It basicly turns your phone into a push to talk, you hold down an on-screen button, say what you need to say, release, and it sends an email to your friend with an audio attachment. If your friend has the app running, it will play the message when recieved. Its free with the option to pay 4 bucks for the full version that dosnt have ads.

IbenJakinov 12-06-2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDGE23 (Post 1389120)
thanks for the review, i just received my droid yesterday and wasn't sure about downloading the app before reading your post.

Handcent also allows you to enter text messages by speaking into the phone using voice recognition to convert what you say into text. Great feature if your trying to respond to text while in the car, etc.

ebuechler3 12-06-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IbenJakinov (Post 1390377)
Handcent also allows you to enter text messages by speaking into the phone using voice recognition to convert what you say into text. Great feature if your trying to respond to text while in the car, etc.

how responsive is it? or do you have to repeat yourself 100 times per text?

Bunsen Honeydew 12-07-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebuechler3 (Post 1392351)
how responsive is it? or do you have to repeat yourself 100 times per text?

It is not too bad. About the same as any google voice search. The bad part is that it puts whatever it thinks you said directly into a text and you have to delete the parts that are wrong. I like on the voice search how it gives you what it thinks you said, and gives you a chance to cancel the search.

ebuechler3 12-07-2009 10:45 AM

is there TV Cable out option for android? i still have my tv out cables for my tp.. thks

breakmyfootoff 12-07-2009 10:56 PM

deleted

breakmyfootoff 12-13-2009 03:50 PM

deleted

braymeck 12-16-2009 04:27 AM

http://androidanarchy.com/freeapps.html

All the apps listed here are great^

banden 12-19-2009 12:07 AM

Now that 'Pure Grid Calendar' works with Exchange Active Sync, I absolutely love it.

Up until the recent patch it wasn't compatible with the calendar I keep all my appointments on, so now that it's compatible I really like this widget. It has 3 calendar widgets: 4x2, 4x3, 4x4. Very nice and skinnable. A very polished calendar and fairly priced to boot. Currently there's an HTC Sense skin for it, but I don't think it will be available much longer.

breakmyfootoff 12-19-2009 02:44 PM

deleted

parkjam 12-20-2009 12:10 AM

I would have to say:

1) ChompSMS - Beautiful app with popup notification, also allows the ability to respond to the message right from within the popup. As of the update a few days ago, also integrates MMS

2) CalWidget - Really nice calendar widget that lets you pick you size and really customize the look of the widget itself. Love the fact that you can remove the sizes you don't use from the widget menu

3) ShapeWriter keyboard -Works just like swype for the onscreen keyboard. You can really fly entering text with it.

4) Dolphin Web Browser - Already mentioned numerous times, quick, speedy, multi-touch capable

5) BlueRSS - Really nice RSS reader with a nice 4x1 widget bar. Looks classy and plenty functional, what more can you ask?

Hoss 12-24-2009 02:49 PM

These will change as my preference moves with my activities. For this week it looks like:

1. Dolphin Browser - yup, this one is a keeper
2. Barcode Scanner - it's Christmas time, 'nuff said
3. Apps Organizer - everything on primary home page is under this
4. Voice recorder - just started using this to keep notes while driving
5. Documents to Go - I want something different but needed something quick for my work

mshefke 12-28-2009 08:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Fxcamera is awesome. Just downloaded it today. Other than that, dolphin browser, frozen bubble (addicting as hell ), yelp, and the stock power widget

breakmyfootoff 01-08-2010 09:38 PM

I dont know if Ad Free (for rooted phones only) is already in this thread or not, but if it isnt it should be. Dramatically increased the browsers speed since it doesnt have to waste time downloading advertisements and it gets rid of ads in applications like the Cadillac ad in Pandora :thumbleft:

banden 01-09-2010 01:53 AM

I sent this list out to a couple co-workers who were asking after they got their new Droids.

Astro File Manager - This is basically like Explorer for Android. It's a File Manager, use it, love it.

Mobile Defense (BETA) - A must have app. It is a hidden app that lets you remotely trigger an alarm, see where your phone is through GPS, wipe the device remotely. Basically a great tool if your phone is lost or stolen.

Google Voice :) Amazing on this device. Seamless integration.

More Icons Widget - Free version lets you fit 3 shortcuts and the settings buttion in a 1x1 spot. The paid app lets you put 4 apps in a 1x1 spot. Basically a space saver.

iMusic - Lets you download free music based on music charts and website recommendations.

Apps Organizer - Lets you organize all your apps into categories then set shortcuts with custom icons to those app lists. (Games, Google Apps, etc.)

Dophin Browser - A must have for droid, it's a tab browser with pinch zoom. Lets you download youtube vids… pretty slick.

TV.com - Television shows streamed through 3G or Wifi to the droid. It is what it is.

Barcode Scanner - Scans barcodes, also scans the square barcodes you're likely to start seeing.

Bettercut - paid app that lets you Change the names and icons of shortcuts as well as create shortcuts to system processes.

Google Sky Map - too cool of an app. Like Google Maps only for the sky, point your phone at the stars you want to know the name of.

Nesoid - Paid app, NES emulator that works with standard NES Roms.

z0mbiexx 01-15-2010 01:10 AM

Dual Mount SD Widget (Requires Root) - This widget Modifies a setting that will allow you to mount your SD card to your phone and PC/Radio/ect at the same time. *Do Not Use android auto mount option*

totally useful.

nuguy 01-18-2010 10:41 AM

xScope browser has replaced dolpin for me, best browser imo.