PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: Calendar and Contact Sync Solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
Anyone using MS Exchange server have any feedback? With Exchange my contacts and calendar sync up immediately/wireless. Once of the things making me "wait and see" is setting up Android to sync to my company's Exchange server. That it will sync contacts and calendar immediately/wireless without having to use anything not built into the shipped phone. Even a free app I don't want to bother with as once I get one I'll have other people who want them and I don't want to support non-WinMo phones unless it is native to the device.
Your phone should already have a program to sync with exchange servers. I have 1.5 and it came with something called moxier mail which allows you to set up exchange. This was separate from gmail altogether. I haven't used it myself so I'm not sure how well it works.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6800
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

joelseph is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
http://www.google.com/sync/index.html

I'd highly recommend utilizing google calendars for all your appointments and contacts.

It syncs all of it pretty seamlessly once you get it all setup. Before switching to android, I was using active stink and outlook for my calendar entries and contacts. It sucked cause every time I added a contact or calendar entry, I had to plug my phone up to the PC to sync my phone to make sure it was up to date. Same was true for adding contacts and calendar entries to the phone. I didn't realize you could setup auto sync on winmo until a few short days before I ditched it.

I have since imported my outlook contacts and calendars into gmail and couldn't be happier. Just setting up your gmail on your phone is all you need to do to sync your contacts and calendar. So if you use the web interface on your PC, it automaticallys syncs your phone and vice versa.

If something to happens to your phone, your contacts and calendar entries won't be lost since they will be online too.
Yeah, I hadn't thought about not having to plug my phone in to sync, that will be nice. I'm still a little stuck as far as contacts, I have over 1 GB of email on my work computer and can't see myself getting real cozy with a web client. I am also leary about having over a Gig of messages out on Google's servers somewhere. : )
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelseph View Post
Yeah, I hadn't thought about not having to plug my phone in to sync, that will be nice. I'm still a little stuck as far as contacts, I have over 1 GB of email on my work computer and can't see myself getting real cozy with a web client. I am also leary about having over a Gig of messages out on Google's servers somewhere. : )
Well that's understandable. I remember seeing a couple of apps in the marketplace that allowed you to backup your contacts to the SD card so you may want to look into that.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: vogue/titan/omnia/ sprint touch pro gone vzw
Carrier: vzw

angel12 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
Anyone using MS Exchange server have any feedback? With Exchange my contacts and calendar sync up immediately/wireless. Once of the things making me "wait and see" is setting up Android to sync to my company's Exchange server. That it will sync contacts and calendar immediately/wireless without having to use anything not built into the shipped phone. Even a free app I don't want to bother with as once I get one I'll have other people who want them and I don't want to support non-WinMo phones unless it is native to the device.
Yes, i am currently syncing with a 2003 and a 2007 exchange server on the droid simultaneously. Didnt have to download anything from the market, and it was easier than setting up a winmo phone in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Exchange works for me with no added software.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Iphone

bennysangel is keeping up the good workbennysangel is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel12 View Post
Yes, i am currently syncing with a 2003 and a 2007 exchange server on the droid simultaneously. Didnt have to download anything from the market, and it was easier than setting up a winmo phone in my opinion.
Me too. My email and contacts synced flawlessly from my exchange server with no 3rd party software.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

pars65 is a n00b
Question Re: Calendar and Contact Sync Solutions?

Does anyone know if they are going to be able to get sub folders to be synced as well?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel12 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. There just isn't enough info out there from VZW on it. I think once this "Dec 11 update" gets pushed out with the bug fixes I am going to check one out.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ominia 910
Carrier: verizon

larryg is a n00b

i think the bottom line is, if you use outlook without exchagne server, there is no easy way to continously sync contacts and calendars. google sync from the PC, only syncs calendars. From google to android, seems both calendar and contacts. Forget about notes, tasks or favorites. Did I miss something?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Contacts and Calendar sync almost immediately with OWA and Outlook.

The only issues I've seen is having to go to the calendar app to accept meetings. And it only shows a maximum of 30 days of emails.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid