PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Motorola Droid on Cricket?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105690)

alfredo-x 01-10-2010 11:48 PM

Motorola Droid on Cricket??

does anyone know if it is possible to configure the Motorola Droid to work on cricket??

i mean... it's on verizon, so i would guess you can probably just update the PRL, make the appropiate changes in the PST menu, and then it should work right?

has anyone tried it?

i mean, same for MMS and internet, in windows mobile it gives you access to configuring all those settings manually, so i'm assuming the motorola droid would be even more user-friendly and give you a lot of cuztomization i would assume...

i mean i currently have an HTC Touch Pro 2 running on cricket, and it's great, and i like it... but Windows Mobile is just so limited on what it can do, the eye-candy is pretty crappy, and i don't find windows mobile good for anything except making appointments on calendar, sending txt msgs, and making calls... other than that it's pretty bland...

any info would be helpful. :salute:

kc720 01-11-2010 01:57 PM

Re: Motorola Droid on Cricket??

the data settings dont stick on the phone. seems to revert to verizon or not write at all. as far as loading prl for talk and text, it can be dont thru virtual port to create a com port

alfredo-x 01-13-2010 08:24 PM

the data settings don't stick on the phone??

wow talk about being "open source"...

so you are saying you also can not configure a verizon droid phone to work on sprint??

that is the most BS i've heard so far... what a bunch of a-holes...

it's ironic that windows mobile phones would be more configurable... god i hate this

and then what do you mean about a virtual port? don't droid phones have an EPST menu??

blazingwolf 01-13-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1486197)

so you are saying you also can not configure a verizon droid phone to work on sprint??

it's ironic that windows mobile phones would be more configurable... god i hate this

and then what do you mean about a virtual port? don't droid phones have an EPST menu??

It's not BS. The Droid is a Verizon exclusive. Of course they don't want you to take it to another carrier.

alfredo-x 01-13-2010 11:04 PM

umm yes it is because it takes away user-reconfigurability from you!

and i'm not just talking about the motorola droid phone, i'm talking about any android phone!

just like how verizon tried to rip off thousands of people by making them buy their crapped up version of the HTC Touch Pro, with LESS ram than what the RETAIL version of the touch pro had, and what everyone did was buy an htc touch pro 2 from sprint, and then configured it for use on verizon!

same thing with the touch pro 2, and other similar windows mobile phones, you BUY the phone, you unlock it, and the phone is YOURS, so you should be able to configure it to use it with any other carrier!

anyways i didn't come here for trolls or replies from people who don't even know how to configure a phone, can i please get an educated reply from someone that KNOWS about this?

and also, is this for ALL droid phones, or are other phones like the new google nexus one, able to be programmed to work on cricket or something of the such??

blazingwolf 01-14-2010 08:55 AM

Wow, I think you need to back off the attitude. Let me know when you do that and I might lend a hand until then good luck getting it done.

Maverick0984 01-14-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1486731)
just like how verizon tried to rip off thousands of people by making them buy their crapped up version of the HTC Touch Pro, with LESS ram than what the RETAIL version of the touch pro had, and what everyone did was buy an htc touch pro 2 from sprint, and then configured it for use on verizon!

Verizon disabled this as far as I know.

Quote:

same thing with the touch pro 2, and other similar windows mobile phones, you BUY the phone, you unlock it, and the phone is YOURS, so you should be able to configure it to use it with any other carrier!
Actually, Sprint doesn't allow any outside phones on their network from what I've heard. They will not add the ESN to their DB.

Quote:

anyways i didn't come here for trolls or replies from people who don't even know how to configure a phone, can i please get an educated reply from someone that KNOWS about this?

and also, is this for ALL droid phones, or are other phones like the new google nexus one, able to be programmed to work on cricket or something of the such??
I think YOU are the one that is misinformed here. Don't get mad at facts if you can't afford a real carrier. Most of the "unlocking" and "any carrier" nonsense is moreso with GSM and hopping around AT&T and T-Mobile. You see far far less of this in the CDMA world.

Fact: Verizon didn't spend all that money in advertising for you to take their intellectual property to a different carrier. They have every right to do this and as much as you want to believe, this isn't as "common place" as you try and make it seem. Get off your soap box.

tvandyck7 01-15-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1486731)

WOW! He called the father of the #1 Omnia i910 custom cooked rom an ignorant troll! HOLY SHART...

nerdherd 01-15-2010 01:49 AM

If only we could downrank specific posts like on Engadget...(yes I know we can vote on entire threads, but that's not quite specific enough for my tastes).

rossi636 01-15-2010 10:11 AM

Maybe you should buy a Sholes. Funny watching 2 Windows Mobile guys go at it in the Android droid forum:-)

The fact of the matter is, Anyone, especially VIP members on this site contribute to good, if not great advice in regards to developing. Whats the point at knocking advice or even opinion on this thread for that matter. I really would like to see this thread closed.

Also, this topic was easily search able.

Utilize it. I'm actually surprised that nobody has thrashed this guy yet!!!!

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1593533

banden 01-15-2010 11:49 AM

Everyone has grumpy days. :) I had put together a big response yesterday morning but opted to just sit it out.

I'd reviewed the OP's post history and he's definately a Cricket guy... he's just frustrated cause the best CDMA phone out there doesn't work yet on his network. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get Android 2.0+ on cricket for data services down the road.

As far as I'm concerned blazingwolf just caught the OP on a bad morning.

tim-tim 01-15-2010 09:56 PM

well sprint has an android phone as well. actually 2 of them. one made by htc and the other is a samsung i believe. there has to be a way for the phone to actually hold on to the prl settings since it wouldnt be very smart of google to open source all that information since it would lag bandwith in the coding... time to do some research. im going to put a motorola droid from verizon on sprint. and yeah verizon spent bank on advertising but honestly, i believe sprint's network is way better than verizons. you see countless commercials with at&t and verizon battling it out for the number one spot... do you ever see either company bashing sprint? why because they know better. im just saying lol

tvandyck7 01-16-2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim-tim (Post 1492662)
well sprint has an android phone as well. actually 2 of them. one made by htc and the other is a samsung i believe. there has to be a way for the phone to actually hold on to the prl settings since it wouldnt be very smart of google to open source all that information since it would lag bandwith in the coding... time to do some research. im going to put a motorola droid from verizon on sprint. and yeah verizon spent bank on advertising but honestly, i believe sprint's network is way better than verizons. you see countless commercials with at&t and verizon battling it out for the number one spot... do you ever see either company bashing sprint? why because they know better. im just saying lol

I have mixed feelings on that. I have both Sprint and Verizon. Sprint seems to have a less broad range than Verizon but they both do well. My experience is that I always have a signal with Verizon, more so than Sprint, but Sprint has a stronger signal much of the time.

rossi636 01-18-2010 11:00 AM

Whats your take on GSM vs CDMA? Sorry to go off topic, but figured your opinions may be worth hearing..

Thank in advance for your wisdom :-)

nathanieljjohnson 01-18-2010 11:27 AM

So far everything I'm finding on the CDMA programming of the phone is hitting a dead end with any PPP or M.IP settings getting reverted back to their Verizon defaults on reboot. So far no one I've read can get them to stick. NV edits, hex edits, every form of PST can read and appear to write, but then everything goes right back once the phone restarts. I'm inclined to agree with Maverick0984 on this one. Verizon obviously put in intellectual rights protection in the form of provisioning overwrites.

So far I haven't seen any new theories on how to get writes to stick. Creating new M.IP profiles doesn't help and the fact that the PPP settings always rewrite will make EVDO an impossibility. Talk and text appear to be no issue, but that kind of kills half of the real wonderful uses for this phone.

alfredo-x 01-18-2010 01:53 PM

well these people aren't familiar to me, i don't know the "father's" of any cooked stuff for anything that isn't for HTC devices... like ryanmogul, NRG, mightymike... but w/e
and no i'm not going to surf the forums for who did something "important" or whatever.

anyways i found a few videos of some people that have configured the Verizon droid on cricket, they even have a company that charges to flash cell phones... but of course, they themselves point out that the settings don't stick for some reason... they keep reverting back to sprint.

but they did have internet, gps, mms, sms, voice calls working... but in these forums i don't see any section for droid hacking... all we have is this forum, and it seems dedicated to general talk...

and the reason why i called some of you trolls was because you bring up irrelevant crap to my question.

look around these forums, 60% of the people that use these forums, use them to unlock phones, and then flash them to either other carriers or to flash the crappy stock ROM that comes with most of them.

and i don't think even 1% of the community gives a rat's ass if "we hurt the carrier's feelings" by flashing and unlocking their devices... we we cared, everything that has been developed thus far wouldn't exist...

and i for one, am not going to take my wallet to the slaughterhouse at verizon, att, t-mobile, sprint... none of those carriers offers you a reasonable unlimited plan (including high speed data) for less than $50/mo.
only cricket does that... the only thing is they don't have any good smart phones... that's why i had to buy a used htc touch pro 2, unlock it, and flash it to cricket, now i get 3G/EVDO, and everything else for $50/mo

so there... just don't bring anymore of that crap, i'm only really interested in resources and any info i can gather about flashing or configuring a droid for cricket... or what exactly is the programming issue that they can't get past.

alfredo-x 01-18-2010 02:02 PM

i'm gonna double post here since my last post was quite extensive, and i didn't see there was a 2nd page of posts...

anyways to the person that said that the droid is the best phone... i think the new google nexus has more horsepower... the reason i want to go with the droid is because the nexus one is not in the $300 yet, so yeah.

but i saw a comparison, head to head of the google nexus one vs the new HTC HD2, both have a snapdragon processor, which i've been waiting for quite some time now... and to my dismay, not only is the new HD2 NOT going to ship with WinMo7 (since it's been set back until 2011!!!!) but............ the nexus one beat the HD2 outright...

and to be honest WM6.5 is soooo very limited... i mean, i'm using windows 7 now, and my device feels quite archaic in the interface and whatnot. also, my friend recently got a Motorola Cliq for t-mobile, and i kinda saw the droid system a little... and yeah it's pretty good, and seems like it has way more apps and stuff than WM6.5

anyways... about what the last posted said on the settings reverting... it seems to me that the phone might have a separate ROM chip dedicated only to overwriting the settings on the phone. that's the only thing i can think of, and maybe the only way to do it is to deactivate that chip or short it out... but then, the phone software might have something where it won't function if the chip isn't detected...

i don't know, it seems like we might actually need the help of a verizon insider on this or an experienced computer engineer...

kc720 01-22-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

first of all if u have done any work on flashing the droid to cricket u will know what virtual port is about!! second, if u have not tried to flash the phone then u have no clue as to what people are talking about when they say the ppp settings dont stick. again, lack of knowledge in ur part before u start posting.

[QUOTE=alfredo-x;1498857]i'm gonna double post here since my last post was quite extensive, and i didn't see there was a 2nd page of posts...

anyways to the person that said that the droid is the best phone... i think the new google nexus has more horsepower... the reason i want to go with the droid is because the nexus one is not in the $300 yet, so yeah.

if u are talking about flashing the droid to cricket then why talk about the nexus one? that is gsm.

anyway, back to the point, i have rooted the droid, re mount the system to read and write, but the ppp settings still dont stick. maybe there is some things else i havent found yet

alfredo-x 01-22-2010 07:58 PM

no i haven't flashed one since i don't have one but yeah i have flashed other phones, and electronics, so i am assuming virtual port is either a program, or the cable you use to flash the phone. (sort of like how we us QPST to change settings on cdma phones), and i am pretty sure when you say ppp settings, it's something like the epst settings of our normal cdma phones that are supposed to always stay intact even if the phone is reflashed... but for some reason those settings are getting reset...

banden 01-22-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1498857)

-I specifically said 'the best CDMA phone' (Nexus One isn't CDMA)
-The Droid is more expensive in and out of contract.
-The Nexus one is all over eBay around $300

alfredo-x 01-22-2010 09:16 PM

hmm didn't know that the nexus was gsm, that's so gay...

well i see why it's so cheap then.

well i guess we'll have to wait until a snapdragon device with android pops up... ](*,)

other than the fact of the ppp settings that don't want to stick with droid...

it's so gay, i can't believe google would be that gay...

los1223 01-23-2010 12:23 AM

Any progress with this yet?

iLogiK 01-23-2010 09:30 AM

Do you guys think it would be possible with Nexus One?

banden 01-23-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLogiK (Post 1511008)
Do you guys think it would be possible with Nexus One?

Not in it's current incarnation. Maybe there will be better luck with the one they plan on releasing for Verizon in spring (CDMA.)

XSYLUS 01-24-2010 09:22 AM

What I don't understand is that people have successfully gotten the HTC Droid Eris to fully work with Cricket including data settings and it's a verizon phone. Why would verizon put a data lock on the Moto Droid but not the Eris? :confused: :shock: :scratch:

I've read on HoFo that someone has gotten EVDO settings to stick on Droid but there's still an issue with Cricket proxy. Pointedly they don't give any details about how to get the settings to stick. So either the people who figured it out are trying to make money by selling a tool or service, or the person who posted in that thread is full of $%!#.:cussing: :violent1: ](*,) :protest: :dontknow:

kc720 01-24-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSYLUS (Post 1512920)
What I don't understand is that people have successfully gotten the HTC Droid Eris to fully work with Cricket including data settings and it's a verizon phone. Why would verizon put a data lock on the Moto Droid but not the Eris? :confused: :shock: :scratch:

I've read on HoFo that someone has gotten EVDO settings to stick on Droid but there's still an issue with Cricket proxy. Pointedly they don't give any details about how to get the settings to stick. So either the people who figured it out are trying to make money by selling a tool or service, or the person who posted in that thread is full of $%!#.:cussing: :violent1: ](*,) :protest: :dontknow:

the biggest difference between the droid and droid eris is that the eris is htc and htc are in general more easier to modify. plus motorola has always locked their phones down good

ljohnson1981 01-28-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Special Olympic Participant!

ljohnson1981 01-28-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1510115)
hmm didn't know that the nexus was gsm, that's so gay...

well i see why it's so cheap then.

well i guess we'll have to wait until a snapdragon device with android pops up... ](*,)

other than the fact of the ppp settings that don't want to stick with droid...

it's so gay, i can't believe google would be that gay...

Would you like some cheese with your wine, retard?

ljohnson1981 01-28-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim-tim (Post 1492662)

Got my Sprint HTC Hero working on Cricket but no MMS yet.

XSYLUS 01-29-2010 02:22 AM

I've read that changing the EVDO and MMS settings on the Droid and getting them to stick has been done in Mexico and they charge $75 for the service. The good news is that this means it can be done, the bad news is that no one has leaked the information for free... yet.

ljohnson1981 01-29-2010 12:34 PM

I am the new Special Olympic Participant because I cant even change the F*@KING PRL on this P.O.S.

XSYLUS 01-30-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljohnson1981 (Post 1525776)
I am the new Special Olympic Participant because I cant even change the F*@KING PRL on this P.O.S.

Well, if you don't want it I'll be glad to take it off of your hands :mrgreen:

Correct USB driver + HW Virtual Serial Port + QPST + correct PRL for your carrier = easy part. Hard part = EVDO settings (even the pros are struggling with getting EVDO settings to stick)

web link -> corolada dot com/prl/ <-- Great source of PRLs

Mr.KLeen 01-30-2010 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1498836)
well these people aren't familiar to me, i don't know the "father's" of any cooked stuff for anything that isn't for HTC devices... like ryanmogul, NRG, mightymike... but w/e
and no i'm not going to surf the forums for who did something "important" or whatever.

anyways i found a few videos of some people that have configured the Verizon droid on cricket, they even have a company that charges to flash cell phones... but of course, they themselves point out that the settings don't stick for some reason... they keep reverting back to sprint.

but they did have internet, gps, mms, sms, voice calls working... but in these forums i don't see any section for droid hacking... all we have is this forum, and it seems dedicated to general talk...

and the reason why i called some of you trolls was because you bring up irrelevant crap to my question.

look around these forums, 60% of the people that use these forums, use them to unlock phones, and then flash them to either other carriers or to flash the crappy stock ROM that comes with most of them.

and i don't think even 1% of the community gives a rat's ass if "we hurt the carrier's feelings" by flashing and unlocking their devices... we we cared, everything that has been developed thus far wouldn't exist...

and i for one, am not going to take my wallet to the slaughterhouse at verizon, att, t-mobile, sprint... none of those carriers offers you a reasonable unlimited plan (including high speed data) for less than $50/mo.
only cricket does that... the only thing is they don't have any good smart phones... that's why i had to buy a used htc touch pro 2, unlock it, and flash it to cricket, now i get 3G/EVDO, and everything else for $50/mo

so there... just don't bring anymore of that crap, i'm only really interested in resources and any info i can gather about flashing or configuring a droid for cricket... or what exactly is the programming issue that they can't get past.

relax what your sayn man :angry7:

Mr. X 02-01-2010 11:41 AM

alfredo-x you need to tone it down a notch, can the name calling and stop calling shit "gay" some of our user base is gay. so don't use it as a derogatory term.

http://www.littlebigblog.com/wp-cont...ou_750x900.jpg

Once i post the "watching you" spoof of the day, that seals this as your formal warning about your postings here.

wolfordtw 02-02-2010 02:50 AM

Well hell, i guess since half the people in this thread about stuff that just isn't possible to do i'll take my turn....whaa whaa why can't i go to at&t and buy a nuviphone and just get an unlock code so i can put it on verizon with full gps, wap, mms, and calling....whaa whaa why doesn't my iphone work on verizon...whaa whaa why can't i get multitouch on my touch pro2....whaa whaa. Why can't i attach my big screen tv to my nintendo ds.....whaa whaa... I'm just gonna go blow my brains out.....whaa

phullofphil 02-02-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredo-x (Post 1509965)
no i haven't flashed one since i don't have one but yeah i have flashed other phones, and electronics, so i am assuming virtual port is either a program, or the cable you use to flash the phone. (sort of like how we us QPST to change settings on cdma phones), and i am pretty sure when you say ppp settings, it's something like the epst settings of our normal cdma phones that are supposed to always stay intact even if the phone is reflashed... but for some reason those settings are getting reset...

Wow you seem to have all the answers why did you even post a question. I hate reading your post there to long winded and have little worth. You are an angry little man and should learn how to respect people that try to help. Name calling and angry responses is related to how stupid i think you are. I just quoted this post because it was most recent but i am talking about all your posts. Maybe your not an idiot but com on be productive in what you write. Dont let shit bother you.

Any way has any body called cricket to see if they will accept a droid to be flashed. That could prove that it could be easily done.

phullofphil 02-02-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfordtw (Post 1534252)
Well hell, i guess since half the people in this thread about stuff that just isn't possible to do i'll take my turn....whaa whaa why can't i go to at&t and buy a nuviphone and just get an unlock code so i can put it on verizon with full gps, wap, mms, and calling....whaa whaa why doesn't my iphone work on verizon...whaa whaa why can't i get multitouch on my touch pro2....whaa whaa. Why can't i attach my big screen tv to my nintendo ds.....whaa whaa... I'm just gonna go blow my brains out.....whaa

Atliest there is one thing you can do. LOL Just kidding thats not funny. Why cant cant you put a ds on the big screen.

naughtyimports 02-04-2010 02:04 PM

I was wondering if there is a new rom for the droid to fully flash it to cricket. or is there one in the works. would be really interested to help if i can. I just picked one up and got the prl loaded just fine but kinda wanted everything to work.

XSYLUS 02-05-2010 02:36 AM

www•flashingexpert•com/1/post/2010/01/first-post.html

Those guys haven't figured out EVDO yet...

insanecain 02-07-2010 01:49 PM

For those few of us that havent released the info (myself included)... its because we actually do phones for a living. When the guy next door takes info you posted and undercuts you.... it's not a good feeling.

So there are a small few of us enjoying EVDO.... personally I have been able to get working EVDO wap and mms on a cricket moto droid. I'm sure others will follow and have it soon enough, or it will leak.