PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Big Red VZW

Reddog80p is keeping up the good workReddog80p is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Logic behind flashing phones multiple times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640k View Post
In on this. I think it's a load of BS too. I've been stuck on one dude's ROM for some time and it's the worst quality of any that I've experienced. The problem is, it's the only ROM I've every used that actually has the things to do what I want. So alot of the minor/annoying hiccups, bugs, etc., I deal with until the next version.

However, on multiple occasions, I have run into scenarios where my phone will suddenly decided to start hard-resetting itself. For a ROM that never touches the radio/boot screens, it sure causes alot of problems in those areas.

"Upgrading" the radio is such a pita considering what you have to deal with at customer support to get your phone working again.
You must be getting half wit csa's. When I've flashed a new radio in the past i've never had to wait on the phone more than a few minutes to get rid of the authentication problem.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack21 View Post
Hi, my name is Brack and I'm a flash-o-holic. Here is what I've experienced. I love flashing different roms and testing them all out to see what I like best. I found that sometimes, not all the times when flashing something gets corrupt and the internet and incomming calls won't work. To solve this problem I flash back to sprint stock then run IOTA, then flash which ever custom rom I want and bang back in business. I'm not sure about flashing the same rom a couple time helps or not. I just know for a fact that flashing back to stock then flash the custom rom will cure some problems.
I'm not a techy or anything, this is just what I found in my flashing experience.
You'll save yourself 15-20min when you encounter an error in your ROM if you just do a hard reset. Flashing back to stock, hard-resetting, flashing back to your desired rom followed by a hard reset is not nessecary. If the radio that you have installed is compatable, and you didn't error out during the flash process, just do a hard reset of whatever ROM you have installed. Any issues you have will almost certainly be resolved after a hard-reset. (center button, volume down, depress stylus to reset for 5-10s. Volume down to confirm system wipe, voume up to restart).
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

evertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_semler View Post
You'll save yourself 15-20min when you encounter an error in your ROM if you just do a hard reset. Flashing back to stock, hard-resetting, flashing back to your desired rom followed by a hard reset is not nessecary. If the radio that you have installed is compatable, and you didn't error out during the flash process, just do a hard reset of whatever ROM you have installed. Any issues you have will almost certainly be resolved after a hard-reset. (center button, volume down, depress stylus to reset for 5-10s. Volume down to confirm system wipe, voume up to restart).
well... that's not entirely true. I've had several times where no amount of hard resets would get the phone working right. Only a flash to stock then to the updated rom would get it working again. Not sure of the logic behind it, but it seems to especially be true with 6.5.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch

wizziko is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertec View Post
well... that's not entirely true. I've had several times where no amount of hard resets would get the phone working right. Only a flash to stock then to the updated rom would get it working again. Not sure of the logic behind it, but it seems to especially be true with 6.5.

yes I had that problem the other day with NFSFAN's 6.5 ROMs. I tried flashing back to older versions of his ROM but it would get stuck on the splash screen every time after the flash. I actually flashed back to an old Whosdaman 6.1 ROM and then flashed back to NFSFAN's ROM

Old 09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

crobs808 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to crobs808 Send a message via MSN to crobs808 Send a message via Yahoo to crobs808 Send a message via Skype™ to crobs808

Flashing the same ROM image multiple times is a load of crap. It is a digital device, not an analog connection, that is subject to interference or dropouts during transfer...it is an all or none process. If you can boot into the new ROM after you flash once, then you are done...doing it again just wastes time and double flashing is for the OCD/paranoid people. The second flash does not do anything extra that the first flash didn't already do.
GPS: TomTom v7.915 (v830.2323 Maps)
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Actually, it really does help.
Little tid bits of information get stuck behind from your programs folder, and a few other things. Sometimes, it will not cause problems, but for the most part,it really does help.
ESPECIALLY if you use a rom like NFSFAN's. He mods TONS of items throughout the entire phone, and that causes most of the problems when flashing to a new version.

I've lived by hard resetting, flashing 2-3times, and then good to go.
I've never had the problems that most people report on this website and xda.
If you read all of my posts, about 50% of them will be something along the lines of weird, I've never had this problem.
Also, another problem that occurs while flashing is having other programs running on your computer while you flash, it bogs down the RUU and can cause problems while flashing.

Just because it's suppose to cover all of the old information, doesn't mean it will.
Things don't always work as they are designed to, I mean, look at the U.S. Government.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

For some reason when I go to edit, it deletes my previous text, but basically what I was mainly referring to is that it solves tons of problems that people have while flashing, especially with heavily modded roms like Nfsfans.

I didn't believe it till I did it with his roms(all I really run on my phones now..)
and it has made a WORLD of difference in performance.
There's no mistaking it as a placebo.
He does basically rewrite a pretty good amount of the DLL's and Core OS files.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Its FLASHING time!!!
Pocket PC: Evo & TP2
Carrier: SPCS

vin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation levelvin255764 can't get a higher reputation level

Interesting...I never had problems with custom ROMs,just 1 flash is enough for me.
But when I flashed to shipped exe ROM,it worked weird,did reflash and it worked much better.Im almost forgot how wm6.1 looks lol.Im sure its carriers junk and from tonns of NFSFANs dlls only 1 can cause the issues-its epst,I think...

Last edited by vin255764; 09-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Vogue Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 11-15-2009, 12:16 AM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
Actually, it really does help.
Little tid bits of information get stuck behind from your programs folder, and a few other things. Sometimes, it will not cause problems, but for the most part,it really does help.
ESPECIALLY if you use a rom like NFSFAN's. He mods TONS of items throughout the entire phone, and that causes most of the problems when flashing to a new version.

I've lived by hard resetting, flashing 2-3times, and then good to go.
I've never had the problems that most people report on this website and xda.
If you read all of my posts, about 50% of them will be something along the lines of weird, I've never had this problem.
Also, another problem that occurs while flashing is having other programs running on your computer while you flash, it bogs down the RUU and can cause problems while flashing.

Just because it's suppose to cover all of the old information, doesn't mean it will.
Things don't always work as they are designed to, I mean, look at the U.S. Government.
You can't conclude that it really helps just because you are not affected by problems that happen to others. There are lots of people, myself included, that do not experience those problems either and I have never flashed multiple times. Also, it doesn't matter how many bits are modded by the rom ... the new one overwrites it. You say bits are left behind in your program folder ... I think this is impossible.

-GT
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue