PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

mradam is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mradam
As a Noob i think i have what i need. Please tell me im wrong.

to put windows mobile 6.5 an my newly acquired htc Vogue i have spent the last week reading various forums and have tryed to learn as much as i can from them. i am completely new at phone modding so cut me just a little slack. i have seen many walkthroughs done but none quite spoke my language so this is the best i came up with, a hybrid if you will. i havent done anything yet other than download the files listed in this walkthrough. so please if you will tell me anything im missing, or need to be prepared for, as i like to be as prepared as possible.

i have flashed a couple routers with third party firmware in my life so im not all that stupid but the concept of bricking this phone freeks the crap out of me.
thak you for any time you spend helping me

here goes
*pulled mostley from codybear's walkthrough*

2.31 Unlocker
NFSFANs WinMO 6.5 ROM
DCD Carrier cab (and copy it to your SD card as you may need this after the flashing is done.)
Extract both 2.31 Unlocker and NFSFANs WinMO 6.5 ROM into separate folders

On phone: Press and hold the Power button+Camera Button and Stylus in the reset hole
until the 3 color screen comes up and it says serial, now plug in your cable and it should change to USB.

go into the Unlocker folder you created and doubleclick on the RomUpdateUtility.exe (RUU.exe)

Follow the steps on the desktop monitor.(You might get some errors about sleep4.exe – don’t worry about it) Just keep hitting enter and it will go away after the 4th or so time.
At some point the program is going to tell you to disconnect the phone disconnect it and count to 10 -Plug it back in, does it say USB again
hit a key on the keyboard per the on screen directions.

Eventually the Phone will reboot, let it and it will be unlocked (When completed successfully it will show version 2.31 CoKe and your device will be unlocked.)
let it start up and do its thing, when it’s done

go back into bootloader mode again with the cable disconnected
(remember power+camera+stylus)
and it had better say SERIAL again.. now go ahead and plug in the cable and it should change to USB.
Point of intrest start
go into the ROM folder and double click the RUU.exe follow the directions that come up on the screen...
Once its done and the phone reboots, wait...wait…wait… Orange screen
Follow the drections to go through the setup, don't worry about it being too accurate and all as it is about to be erased anyway...
Point of intrest end
let the autorun happen once windows starts and it will reboot on its own again.

-HARD RESET imminent -

as it is booting up again when there is a black screen
- press and hold the red button+green button+stylus in reset hole (known as a Hard reset)
until the screen turns gray - follow the directions again *note*Enter is silver button in center of buttons
and when the progress bar moves all the way to the right, press the call key (the green one).
it will restart and now go ahead and do the setup and customizations and do them right this time as your hanging onto them.

So to the storage card where you copied it that DCD Carrier Cab tap on it and run it.
It will install all the Carrier goodies to make your life easy

"I forgot to mention that before flashing this rom,
upgrade your radio to a 3.xx.xx version! (on Sprint with the 3.42.30 radio with no issues whatsoever)"*
*End

tell me what you think.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: As a Noob i think i have what i need. Please tell me im wrong.

Looks right to me.

I had a Vogue for about a week to play with and flashed NFSFan's ROM. It was VERY fast and responsive. Ran like a champ. Even had TFlo2d which worked great.

The instructions tell you to put the phone into bootloader before any unlocking/flashing. This shouldn't be necessary, as when it packages run, they should put the phone in bootloader for you, assuming you have ActiveSync running and the phone is in a connected status in ActiveSync.

Do you know how to check the radio? When you are booting the phone, at the bottom of the screen are some red number/letter combinations. The R number is the radio. Be sure you are at a 3.xx.xx version prior to flashing the ROM. This is because older radios do not have GPS enabled.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MyTouch 3G
Carrier: T-Mobile

bmar08 is becoming a great contributor

this looks about like what all ya need.. i was the same way when i first modded my Vzw Vogue. I read and read and finally just jumped right in. Just remember when you are running the Unlocker follow the directions to the tee. There will be a time when it tells you to disconnect the usb and reconnect it back to finish unlocking it and i kinda freaked a bit there but just do it quick and all will be good. That was the hardest thing to do. then when you find a Rom you wanna try just run the RRU file in the download. Trying out new roms and seeing how they differ from others is very contagious and addicting so beware. But its all good because if you dont like that new rom just flash one that you like to it. Personally i have been sticking to JTs 21806 rom with 6.5. It works the best for me with a few extra games i have added to it to pass the time lol... just be confident and youll be good, its pretty tough to brick one of these good ole phones.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mradam is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilray View Post
Do you know how to check the radio? When you are booting the phone, at the bottom of the screen are some red number/letter combinations. The R number is the radio. Be sure you are at a 3.xx.xx version prior to flashing the ROM. This is because older radios do not have GPS enabled.
no i didn't know that, and if it is not at 3.xx.xx (where x means some other number right such as 3.42.30) it would look like 2.xx.xx and i would want to update it before i do anything right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilray View Post
Just remember when you are running the Unlocker follow the directions to the tee.
Is the unlocker pretty straight forward and simple then?

anyway thanks a TON for giving me some confidence in the matter. you guys are awesome
adam

Last edited by mradam; 08-11-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, it will actually say 1.xx.xx if I remember reading it right. There's a sticky you may want to take a peek at under the Vogue Upgrades section...

The Unlocker is pretty simple. As bmar said, just make sure you follow all the on-screen directions! Pretty hard to mess it up.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc inspire hd
Carrier: at&t

LessThanZero is keeping up the good workLessThanZero is keeping up the good work

You seem to have a grasp on what your doing. The whole process is pretty hard to mess up if you stay informed. If you want to dumb it down a bit just flash from your sd card. You have to unlock from your pc i believe.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mradam is a n00b

ok so the ROM flash went just fine but now when i call sprint care to have them activate the phone they tell me to dial some ##160xxx# number. after which a menu should open and it dosent. What is my issue?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

Should have activated it before hacking, try flashing back to stock then use the ## codes see if that helps.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mradam is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack21 View Post
Should have activated it before hacking, try flashing back to stock then use the ## codes see if that helps.
ok i cant find the older factory RUU for the phone.Any links im missing the htc site only has a rom update
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Franken Pre Plus/Touch Pro

brack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuffbrack21 knows their stuff

That should work, the htc rom update is the factory update.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue

Tags
vogue, windows mobile 6.5