PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 01:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

crobs808 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to crobs808 Send a message via MSN to crobs808 Send a message via Yahoo to crobs808 Send a message via Skype™ to crobs808
Does GPS require a data plan (since it queries an IP)?

Here is the deal...

I have had a Touch Pro for 5 months now, but my wife and I are cutting down on our bills, so we are getting rid of data plans, which means I ened to switch phones, since data plan is forced on the TouchPro.

However, I still want a Smartphone. According to Verizon (who has forced data now on all Smartphones), these are the only smartphones that you can get now that do not require a data plan: Palm Centro, MOTO Q9c, SMT5800, XV6900, and the SCH-i760.

So, the closest thing to the TouchPro is the XV6900, so I opted for that one. This way my wife and I can cut $90 off our bill, since she already has the SMT5800 which also one of the ones that does not require a data plan.

To make a long story short - I am wanting to use GPS on my XV6900 when I get it (it is in the main now), and the only threads I see for getting GPS working all require changing an IP in the configuration/hidden settings. I had to do this with my TouchPro, but I had data on that, so my question is...

Will I need a data plan to use GPS since it points to an IP to get information?

Thanks
GPS: TomTom v7.915 (v830.2323 Maps)
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

Phil Canyon is just getting started
Re: Does GPS require a data plan (since it queries an IP)?

The GPS requires data to trigger GPS. There are some apps here that are supposed to help work around that but I have yet to have used them. Supposedly the newer phones are changing GPS format and won't require a data connection.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

furrycnorm is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to furrycnorm

Yes you indeed need a data plan for gps
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

prsmithx is a n00b

You do not need a data plan for GPS. The IP connection is used for AGPS (Assisted GPS) to get the GPS almanac and ephemeresis data. With this data from the AGPS server the phone has the information about satellite locations to enable a much faster initial lock.

If you are not using AGPS (as you would without a data plan) the GPS receiver will get the information directly from the GPS satellites, but it will take longer to get an initial lock from a cold start (2-12 minutes). Once you have an intial fix it works the same as with AGPS.

In short, you can use GPS without a data plan, but it will take longer to get initial fixes.

Another issue is that Verizon breaks the GPS unless you are signed up for VZNavigator for $10/month. There is a workaround, but I don't have the links right now.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to crobs808 Send a message via MSN to crobs808 Send a message via Yahoo to crobs808 Send a message via Skype™ to crobs808

i have done all the unlocking of my XV6900, and have the 2.31cok SPL, along with NSFFAN'S 6.1 v1.15 rom, and I have done the Verizon AGPS fix using the Serf Telus cab file on XDA-Developers wiki, etc...is there anything else I need to do? Again I do not have a data plan, but I am still not getting a lock at all. My TomTom7 just says it is trying to get a signal...no blue bars or satellite dots at all, even though it worked perfectly on my TouchPro (previous phone)

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

aGPS requires Data, straight GPS does not
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Question Re: Does GPS require a data plan (since it queries an IP)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
aGPS requires Data, straight GPS does not
ok, then how do i get my true GPS to work? the HTC Touch has a built in GPS antenna right? Is there a guide for getting GPS to work on the Touch for those of us who got rid of our data plans?

-C
Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

I just bought a Verizon xv6900, I tried many things but could not make the GPS to work. Then I followed this procedure and now GPS works like a charm:

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS

On step 5, I flashed to NFSFAN WM6.5. On step 6 I did the first part, i.e. put in these:

IP 216.198.139.92 port 8889 IP/PDE

You don't have to step 6, but if you do initial lock takes only several seconds even in the house.

Believe me, don't waste your time on a VZ ROM, you must use a 3rd-party ROM such as NFSFAN. Then GPS works out of box, no need to install any extra program or do any tweak.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
I just bought a Verizon xv6900, I tried many things but could not make the GPS to work. Then I followed this procedure and now GPS works like a charm:

http://wiki.ppchaven.com/index.php?t...IX_VERIZON_GPS

On step 5, I flashed to NFSFAN WM6.5. On step 6 I did the first part, i.e. put in these:

IP 216.198.139.92 port 8889 IP/PDE

You don't have to step 6, but if you do initial lock takes only several seconds even in the house.

Believe me, don't waste your time on a VZ ROM, you must use a 3rd-party ROM such as NFSFAN. Then GPS works out of box, no need to install any extra program or do any tweak.
Yes, this has been a proven fix for quite a while. You can totally skip step six as it is not necessary.

Every time I see a post with a GPS connection problem I refer them to the above link. There are other hack that work but this one totally unlocks the GPS to function without data the way it should be.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Exclamation Re: Does GPS require a data plan (since it queries an IP)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadesse View Post
Yes, this has been a proven fix for quite a while. You can totally skip step six as it is not necessary.

Every time I see a post with a GPS connection problem I refer them to the above link. There are other hack that work but this one totally unlocks the GPS to function without data the way it should be.
Are you SURE this is the case for XV6900's that shipped even last week? That is when I just got ,mine, brand new from Verizon...I used that link for making my XV6800 work (previous phone), and it DID work fine, butr althought I have done the steps 3 times in a row now on thie XV6900, it STILL will not get a GPS signal, not even see any satellites after 10 or 20 minutes!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue