PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Vogue
Carrier: Alltel

Fa310tx is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Fa310tx Send a message via AIM to Fa310tx Send a message via MSN to Fa310tx Send a message via Yahoo to Fa310tx
Gps Instability

Hello...
I'm just wondering if this is a normal problem with the touch and/or alltel or if it's weird.
Currently, I'm using my own cooked rom, with google maps as my gps mapping. I open google maps and check to use gps. Some days it will lock 3-5 satellites within a minute or two, but most days it will simply time out with no satellites.
Here are a few examples...
I was in Florida a couple of weeks ago. When we got off the plane and got in the car, I had gps fix all way to the motel. For the next 5 days, I didn't get a single fix (not even in the same places that I had it the first night).
Monday morning, on my way to work, I was locked in the whole drive. Wednesday morning, on the same drive, not a single satellite.
Tuesday night, while laying in bed, I tried it and it showed me within 15' of my actual position, in my house (google maps satellite view). The next morning, on my couch, I had nothing.
Yesterday, I was riding around with some friends to get supper and no lock. Last night, driving home after supper, I watched myself moving on the phone.
It seems like I only get a lock 15-20% of the time. When I do, it's fast and accurate. That just seems a little odd to me.
JJ
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Nagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Gps Instability

I have the exact same problems. Can't figure it out.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Both of you please take a look at this its device a carrier compatiable http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ht=Shadow+tech

and just follow the instructions its pretty easy to do...
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

Dojey is a n00b

Hoover, not entirely sure if that thread is valid - depends largely on what you're using. From the thread, Shadow says:

*UPDATED 10-11-08* Alltel Has released an Official WM 6.1 ROM, It is ALREADY GPS Enabled. If you have the Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM, this thread is of no use to you. If you have the old 6.0 ROM, this thread will still be of use to you. You can get the new 6.1 ROM and ignore this thread.
Official Alltel Windows Mobile 6.1 Rom ppc-6800: http://216.139.227.226/alltel/RUU_TI..._PPST_Ship.exe

Sounds like what he's got up there is a way to enable GPS for 6.0 ROM. If you've got the 6.1 (which I assume you do since you have GPS already) I don't know if that'll be of any help.
I do hear a lot about GPSToday. Would be lying if I told you whether I knew I had it or not... currently working off OMJ's ROM and the GPS works great (much better than with the official Sprint ROM sans GPSToday).
Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Nagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on rep

That is correct. I do have 6.1 and that thread has no bearing on us with an official GPS enabled ROM (Though I do appreciate the time looking for us hoover). I also have GPSToday (A today screen plugin) but that is hit and miss the same as any other GPS app. The problem has to be with the GPS.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX
Carrier: Verizon

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

Thats not true. even with 6.1 you still need to do it to enable Assisted GPS. Alltel's Assisted GPS only works with Alltel Nav. If you want it to work all the time do the fix.

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS
Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Chillin'

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yeah my thoughts exactly...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn View Post
Thats not true. even with 6.1 you still need to do it to enable Assisted GPS. Alltel's Assisted GPS only works with Alltel Nav. If you want it to work all the time do the fix.
Actually it is true. The link that was posted had nothing to do with enabling A GPS, the link that was posted was to the wrong post. It was to something describing how to enable GPS on an Altel ROM and has nothing to do with us having trouble getting a lock on our GPSs.

However, I did find a link to a post that does show how to possibly solve our problem, although I haven't tried it yet (will try in the next couple days).

Here's the link that I assume you were meaning to post hoover: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=402134

Last edited by Nagrom Nniuq; 01-17-2009 at 03:59 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Chillin'

Yes Sir
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX
Carrier: Verizon

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

yep, sorry bout that. I just assumed that first link went to shadow techs thread. it is very important to do shadows fix if you want your GPS to work well with all navigation programs.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue