PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Lurker

CCIPHER is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need to copy files off locked up phone

My phone is locked up (gets to Today screen and just sits there - start menu button, calendar and contact on the bottom are all that come up and nothing else.) I had just installed the HTC Home Customizer and Today plugin. It then does not respond to anything, and the phone shows up as "HTC USB Sync" in windows XP. If I unplug it and then plug it back in Windows responds it is an unknown device.
My problem is there are files in the device (not storage) that I really need to get at (voice files - i keep my timesheet this way.) Anyway, I have the Coke bootloader installed and can get to the multicolored screen to come up. Could I get to my files using this loader, or is there an easier way.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

CCIPHER is a n00b
Re: Need to copy files off locked up phone

Well, I thought I would post how I retrieved files off my phone. Since I knew it was the today plugin I added causing the phone to lockup I had about 2 seconds of correct phone operation before it would hang. After the hang the phone would not respond to button presses, would not even show up as a know device in windows.

I joined the irc ppcgeeks chat and hund around for a couple of hours asking around at what i could do. I was told I was in for a hard reset. I needed my voice files off the phone.

I found that if I repeatedly pressed the phone button (the green putton on my HTC Touch phone) right BEFORE the background was displayed I could preempt the today screen from loading. I could tie up the phone. This gave me about 40 secounds of access to copy my files off the phone. It would eventually lock up again and I would lose access.

I though I would post this in case someone has a similar problem of needing to access files on a phone that would lock up AFTER booting.

c
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Dell
Carrier: Sprint

trehouse is just getting started

Nice to hear you got to your files. For future reference I've gotten out of this exact issue using iLauncher's Safe Mode feature.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
N00b

SkylineGTS is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to SkylineGTS

my phone is doing the same thing. botched today plugin install... when it tries to load the today plugins.. it hangs. same way as yours. so if i mash the phone button i can have a few seconds grace period? so if i did this and turned off all the today plugins.... would this not correct the problem so i could reinstall the botched plugin? im experimenting right now...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue