PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VX6900
Carrier: Verizon

jblade is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using GPS without Data

Im using OMJ Clean 6.1 Rev A with the newest(Sprint) radio. I want to use the GPS, but I am not signed up for a data plan with verizon, therefore I want to use the GPS offline. I have already bought the software (TomTom 7) but I wanted to see if there is anything else I need to do besides just installing the software, and switching to location ON in order to make the program work completely offline.

Thanks
jblade
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

violentz313 is keeping up the good workviolentz313 is keeping up the good work
Re: Using GPS without Data

I can use my gps with my radio turned off just fine. One thing though some programs like google maps also require a data connection. Which you wont get with your radio turned off.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

jblade is a n00b

Well, I want my phone still on, just don't want it to try to make a dataconnection
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

violentz313 is keeping up the good workviolentz313 is keeping up the good work

Well from what ive seen it will attempt to make one on its own and then give you an error when it cant. I do also know for a fact that tomtom also requires data to build your route.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

jblade is a n00b

Anyone else have any information, I have read in many forums that there are a bit of settings to tweak to make sure your phone will remain offline and not access the internet.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: low tech vzw

imdarkside is becoming a great contributor

Seems you ought to be able to get gps to work without data connection. I guess that may depend on the hardware in the phone if they found a way to lock you out so you have to use data. If it were software, then the cooked roms that freed you to use GPS should have freed you from data requirements or there may be a project there for a cooker.

GPS units do not have data connection. they find the sats and work with internal software. Seems the phone should behave the same.

Last edited by imdarkside; 08-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

VogueUser is a n00b

You can use Schap's Advanced Config to set your data connection where it will never go active; also turn off Assisted GPS because to date no one can seem to find the AGPS server for VERIZON. The onboard GPS chip will work fine without AGPS if you have a clear view of the sky, but may take a while to lock. One reason apps like GoogleMaps or LiveSerch use a data connection is to get data so the map can be rendered on the screen.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

matt85 is a n00b

is there anyway to use the gps data from your mobile phone sent to your computer for windows applications?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

You can definitly use gps without data, I'm not sure about tom toms routing, but amaze gps, while basic, does a good job w/out data.

As for using the gps through to your laptop there is an ap for that, Shaggylive was trying to get it to do blutooth to another titan, I don't think he got it to work, but I think someone got it to work w/ a laptop... gps2blue.cab I think...
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

All Gps Apps want to use data for something but some you can use with out. For Ex:

"Google maps" and ""Live search" need the data connection to load your maps as you drive so they would be of no help for you.

"Garmin Mobile XT" and probably "TomTom" and a few other ones will work and rout correctly with out a data connect because the maps are preloaded on a SD card.
They will not update Traffic/Construction/POI's/Ect because the have no data to update from, but just driving around any GPS App that comes with preloaded maps/Ect will run stand alone.

Last edited by Lsme420; 08-15-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue