PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: Sprint

nini1 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS while in europe?

I've tried my sprint touch in UK and FR and no luck as well. Using IGO 8 in US with np.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: bell

commandant83 is a n00b

why 24 hours to get a lock, i cant see the reason, i assume that if it cant lock within 10 minutes or so then it aint gonna ever happen, and why does it need a data connection unless its for the purpose of downloading maps, but ill try navizon if i can find it.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, 24hrs, because the satelites move and the phone may only look for the one's it thinks it's supposed to get, so in 24hrs those sat's should have come around at least once, if not twice...

the connection to the internet is to get the ephemeris data, so the phone knows which sat's it's supposed to see. navizon has a strong international userbase and it may be able to help the phone get an initial lock. (also the trial for navizon requires internet access for positioning help)

something else you could try is quickGPS. I know there's a version ported for the titan floating around, not sure if it works on the vouge.. quickGPS downloads a 7day table of the satelites ephemeris data.

Last edited by shaggylive; 08-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PRE & Touch PRO2, but now Evo

dutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That will not help you because you can't get any service, let alone internet service in Europe with a CDMA phone...

Bummer, heading to Spain next month hoping to at least to use the GPS function.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

Dojey is a n00b

Just to add a quick note on this though... GPS satellites are geo-synchronous, which means that they remain stationary with respect to a location on Earth. So essentially if you stay in one spot, you will always be using the same satellites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
well, 24hrs, because the satelites move and the phone may only look for the one's it thinks it's supposed to get, so in 24hrs those sat's should have come around at least once, if not twice...

the connection to the internet is to get the ephemeris data, so the phone knows which sat's it's supposed to see. navizon has a strong international userbase and it may be able to help the phone get an initial lock. (also the trial for navizon requires internet access for positioning help)

something else you could try is quickGPS. I know there's a version ported for the titan floating around, not sure if it works on the vouge.. quickGPS downloads a 7day table of the satelites ephemeris data.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojey View Post
Just to add a quick note on this though... GPS satellites are geo-synchronous, which means that they remain stationary with respect to a location on Earth. So essentially if you stay in one spot, you will always be using the same satellites.
no they move.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_...al_description
Quote:
Orbiting at an altitude of approximately 20,200 kilometers (12,600 miles or 10,900 nautical miles; orbital radius of 26,600 km (16,500 mi or 14,400 NM)), each SV makes two complete orbits each sidereal day.[12] The ground track of each satellite therefore repeats each (sidereal) day. This was very helpful during development, since even with just four satellites, correct alignment means all four are visible from one spot for a few hours each day.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

Dojey is a n00b

Wow.. I looked at this some more and indeed you're right. I stand corrected.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc6800 - ppc6900
Carrier: none

Daved is a n00b

The Titan works outside the US, I tried it myself. It needs around 5 mins under a clear sky to get a lock.

Touch should be the same as it has the same chipset (MSM7500).

I am waiting for a Touch I bought on eBay a week ago so in around two weeks I will be able to report back and confirm if it works on the Touch.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth

dave! your the first person I've seen report that it works outside US!!!

quick ? .... where were you when you had it working? is there cdma service in that country?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Okta)
Carrier: TCNZ

MattOktaNZ is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
dave! your the first person I've seen report that it works outside US!!!

quick ? .... where were you when you had it working? is there cdma service in that country?
Works in New Zealand just fine, on a CDMA network admittedly but I'm running a cooked 3.02 rom .

I thought it was established you don't need a data/phone connection to use GPS?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue