PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO + Palm PRE + Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

gearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cooking and Modding Question

Hey everybody. I have read thousands of posts, threads, etc... I am a ROM Flashing junkie and I'm not afraid to admit it. I am currently running SBR's Touch Project and it is testing great.

But - I have also decided to try and cook my own ROM. I donated and downloaded BuildOS from PPCkitchen. I read rstoyguy's tutorial on modifying a custom ROM and played with that, and I finally successfully cooked a decent ROM in the kitchen that actually worked. WOOHOO!

Here's is my big question... Can I Frankenstein my favorite parts of some of the awesome ROMS's I have used into a ROM the way I like? I tried taking a great ROM and just removing what I didn't use - but it wasn't the same. So - if I have all the nbh files for the roms I like - is there a way to just take certain parts I like and put them in the kitchen? If this has been covered, please just point me to the post.

Thanks!

BTW - SBR's current work is reallly good. Almost perfect for me...

[
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Cooking and Modding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunkeez View Post
Here's is my big question... Can I Frankenstein my favorite parts of some of the awesome ROMS's I have used into a ROM the way I like? I tried taking a great ROM and just removing what I didn't use - but it wasn't the same. So - if I have all the nbh files for the roms I like - is there a way to just take certain parts I like and put them in the kitchen?
It takes alot of experience to be able to properly "Frankenstein" a rom like that. You need to know where to find the pieces.... The best approach is to find your base rom, then find all the OEM's to put into it. Then tweak it all to make it work together. The pieces are out there, chefs spend quite a bit of time compiling their collections OEM's, tweaks, and what not. Although I don't put mine up for the masses, I'm constantly tweaking/breaking/fixing mine for no apparent reason other than the "rom-bug".

I was no-where last december, now I can consistanly cook a good rom and now I'm dabbling/experimenting with the advanced stuff. All I can say, is cook...flash...test-it, cook...flash...test-it, cook...flash...test-it, cook...flash...test-it,,cook...flash...test-it, cook...flash...test-it. And read, read, read to learn, search, and ask!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 06-23-2008 at 08:42 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue