PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

DiaperGravy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is a totally stripped down no HTC no Sprint customized wm6.1 rom out there?

Forgive me if I havent searched hard enough, but I havent seem to of found anything like this.

I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to operating system/software and hate tons of unnecessary software and services using up resources. My pc's are easy enough as I build them myself, but laptops for example, the first thing I do out of the box is reformat the hard drive and install a generic copy of windows to get rid of the bloat, then go even further to tweak un-needed stuff like disabling messenger, disabling system restore, turning off a handfull of un-needed services, etc. Basicly what I am after is to do pretty much the same with my new Touch....if it's even possible.

What I think would be ideal is a modded sprint 6.1 rom for the rev. a and gps of course, but staying as much as possible towards a plain generic windows mobile install, ie none of the sprint apps (usually downloadable separately anyways), no HTC cube (dont need it/use it either), etc. Just a nice clean simple base system, to which one could add tools and customize on their own. I'd even flash a wm6.0 rom if such an animal exists but not for 6.1 yet.

While I am at it...I know this quick question is not part of this area, but its simple and general enough that I'll just tack it on here rather then post in another section..... with Sprint and GPS....you only need the monthly GPS service or will get billed otherwise only with their telenav app right? Like you can you use it for location on google or live maps, or even use tomtom and the like without having to subscribe monthly or worry about getting charged? I do have data, but no nav on the account, not worth it to me to get nav on the account, and dont want to worry about getting charged for it basicly.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen
Re: Is a totally stripped down no HTC no Sprint customized wm6.1 rom out there?

Yes that is correct, you can use it on google or live maps. If you use the Application telenav you will get billed for it, however you do get like 3 free days if memory serves me correct to try it, I had the 15 dollar plan added and basically never used the application that much so I ended up taking it off. When I called into Sprint to have it removed I somehow got transfered to retenions where the rep gave it to me for free for one year, and I still never used it much. The google maps was good enough for me plus I have a GPS in the car already.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Incredible
Carrier: Sprint Sero Baby!!!

gedster314 is keeping up the good workgedster314 is keeping up the good work

JD's hybrid rom is pretty much stripped. Not even the cube. I haven't seen any this stripped. So far it's very stable and gps works well.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZW

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

yea.. jd makes his clean as they get.. ur search wasn't very thorough.. two threads down is
Whats the SIMPLEST/SNAPPIEST ROM?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

DiaperGravy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerman821 View Post
yea.. jd makes his clean as they get.. ur search wasn't very thorough.. two threads down is
Whats the SIMPLEST/SNAPPIEST ROM?

haha, yeah, I noticed that as well AFTER I hit submit. I guess that is what happens when you leave a bunch of browser windows open before going to work for the day (or evening in my case) then resume when you get home without a refresh on message boards. Figures pretty much the exact same thing gets asked in the mean time.

But yeah, JD is looking good to me.

What about the account stuff on a stripped down rom like that? Should I write down my MSID since it is different then my MND number and things like that and have to enter them in manually with the new rom, or does that sort of thing stay in the phone and carry over, just loosing the obvious software, contacts, etc?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZW

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperGravy View Post
haha, yeah, I noticed that as well AFTER I hit submit. I guess that is what happens when you leave a bunch of browser windows open before going to work for the day (or evening in my case) then resume when you get home without a refresh on message boards. Figures pretty much the exact same thing gets asked in the mean time.

But yeah, JD is looking good to me.

What about the account stuff on a stripped down rom like that? Should I write down my MSID since it is different then my MND number and things like that and have to enter them in manually with the new rom, or does that sort of thing stay in the phone and carry over, just loosing the obvious software, contacts, etc?
everything basic like phone and data info isn't stripped off.. u shouldnt have any problems with that.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP.2
Carrier: sprintt

corpashe is a n00b

Or, you can download ppckitchen and make a rom exactly how you want it, it that way you dont get what you dont want and are able to input anything you do want. Like Google Maps for GPS.
and if youre worried about how to use it, its so simple that i got it on the first try. Nothing like a command line kitchen. it has the GUI do everything for you
Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

DiaperGravy is a n00b

I was doing a lot of reading about the kitchen thing as well. How stable is it? Sounds like JD has the best all around ROM right now as far as being very basic, fast, and stable goes. His intent with it is pretty much exactly what I am after too....just a good solid base. As far as all other apps and stuff go, I just assume install them 1 by 1 separately thus retaining the ability to un-install them later if need be rather then have a bunch of stuff included on the rom and decide I dont want some of the things later. I think that is the one I am going to try first.

One other question I have about flashing....I understand the differences in the 2x radios and 3x radios, and how you can go back to 2x but some remnants of 3x will remain and all....but what about the bootloader and unlocking? Can that be uninstalled/reverted back to the normal untampered pre rom flashing state? In otherwords, If I ever decided to put an official updated sprint ROM on it...when/if it comes...could I ever make it stock/un fooled around with without all the modded files and what not, or would I be pretty much stuck using bootloaders and such from here on out?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue