PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC XV6900

mstngdrew212 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Free GPS without internet connection?

Is there anyway to get free GPS maps without an internet connection? In order to get live search or Google maps to work you have to be logged onto the internet to download the maps and i have no way of downloading the maps because I don't have/want/need a data plan.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
Re: Free GPS without internet connection?

You could try magic.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Money-theiving VZW

xd1936 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to xd1936

Plug into your computer, run Google maps, look around and download maps into the cache, and use without data connection. Make sure the program doesn't dial in though...
Other than that, sorry, you're outta luck. At least for free programs anyway

Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

^^^Yea...but most of those aren't Free
Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Kaiser
Carrier: Bell Mobility & Rogers Wireless

essence831 is a n00b

Rather than paying for a data plan month-to-month, your best bet could be to pay for a one-time GPS navigation software (such as Garmin Mobile XT or TomTom). I found the experience of using a GPS navigation program that gives you voice directions and such much more enjoyable than simply pointing out the directions and checking on the screen all the time. Just my 0.02.
-Unlimited text messages
-Unlimited wkdays 6-8 & wkends
......Rev.A...GPS...enabled...........
...2.31 SPL...3.37.15 Radio..........
---------------------------------
Old 06-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6900 3.37 radio
Carrier: Verizon

texsc is a n00b

I agree!! I love the TomTom software...much better to have direction spoken out to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essence831 View Post
Rather than paying for a data plan month-to-month, your best bet could be to pay for a one-time GPS navigation software (such as Garmin Mobile XT or TomTom). I found the experience of using a GPS navigation program that gives you voice directions and such much more enjoyable than simply pointing out the directions and checking on the screen all the time. Just my 0.02.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

poorgrad is a n00b

Has anyone found GPS software like Tom Tom that costs less than buying a standalone all-in-one GPS unit? For example, I see that the Tom Tom software goes for $150 or more yet buying a Tom Tom One is less than $150 at many places. There are also cheaper units like the Navigon 2100 that go for $100 or less.
With a separate device, you'd have to carry another thing around. But, it has a bigger screen and better (more sensitive) GPS receiver.

As for the original question, you can try Earth Comber. It lets you download maps for use offline. I've only tried the PalmOS version. It was slow and did not have a navigation function though.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Navizon is only $25 for the full version and should work ok without internet. provided you have all the map files on the phone, which you can do over bluetooth, or use the windows version to get the map cache...

I'm using it for the tracking feature, and got the full version and close to $100 just for doing mapping with my mogul. cdma mapping is currently a little buggy, but seems 100% on verizon. (you don't even need service on the phone to do maping!)

edit, no voice yet, but I actually don't like it... tomtom got me in a nasty habit of paying no attention to where I was going, and often missed turns, espesially when I wasn't using the gps, just going to the store, driving in circles.... lol.

Last edited by shaggylive; 06-16-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6700 & 6900
Carrier: Verizon

buddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good work

I really like MS Streets & Trips.... i know its from the big baddy but it works good. Best of all get an earlier version like 2005 on ebay for $10-20 (or pm me) and you can use that. Streets & trips come with Pocket Streets & Trips built in and will install automatically if you have activesync installed and a ppc device connected.

its very easy to browse the maps on the pc then choose a certain sized area click copy and save the file wherever you want it saves with a .mps extension. Then drag the file onto your PPC. Run Pocket Streets and trips, it scans your ppc for any .mps files and loads it up. I keep the map size under 5 megs but you can go larger, 5 megs gets me all of massachusetts and parts of CT and RI.

Set it to recognize your GPS and your good to go. I have it on my motorcycle and it actually tells me how fast im going. I have an XV6700 with a bluetooth gps mounted on the bike handlebars.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue