PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Leaked ROM Meltdown

I had run the AllTel ROM WM 6.0 with 3.35 Titan Radio and newest GPS DLL's for week of very hard use and it was rock solid.

Then I switched to the Leaked Sprint ROM as is, no kitchen very few tweaks.

It ran ok for a couple days, with some odd annoying glitches. But I was fairly careful, shut this off before that, wait for this etc.

Well I was in a panic yesterday on a FedEx delivery of very expensive speakers. I called FedEx all day to check on them. They are coming, they are coming they said. So at 7:45PM I call again and they say they attempted the deliver and nobody was there. Wow, complete lie, I was there and there is no door tag.

Turns they never got on the truck. So I said where are they, I'll pick them up NOW.

They give me an address and I have a 30 minute drive with 30 minutes of time. Keep in mind these speakers cost more than most cars and I found out when talking to FedEx they were NOT insured by the shipper. If I didn't get them it was another day at home waiting and these babies bouncing around in a FedEx truck.

Now comes the Touches role in all this.

I punch in the address and iGuidance can't find the street. That happens very rarely, in fact I can't remeber it ever happening. I gotta get on the road or I won't make it and I don't have time for Google Maps style navigation. So I try to call FedEx back for directions the old fashioned way. Headset would not connect, doh !!. Used phone the old fashioned way. They gave me a few landmarks. I'm so used to using navigation I helpless when it comes to directions. I call my wife who was visiting my daughter at some art class to see if she can relay tips of where I am using Google Maps on here Q9c and see if she could find the street. First my wife tells me the GPS won't lock (inside an all steel building). Smack on my forehead. No dear you don't need GPS, I need GPS. Then she couldn't get a data connection for just the google maps. By dear.

Suddenly, I see one of the landmarks. But my wife said I had many miles to go to get to that town. So I drove on. I had like 6 minutes till closing. I pull over and start google maps and find the street. Bingo finds the street. Turn on GPS, bingo, GPS pops right up. Yikes, I'm right there.

Then while at FedEx. I give him the "Master" tracting # for all 3 packages. He only finds one. So I go back to my phone to get to hotmail. And the phone says Device.exe failed do you want to send this info to microsoft. Ugh. Lucky the message was cached.

I seen two nasty looking errors on the phone since.

But google maps did save my butt. But boy this ROM is really unstable. I think I may go back to me previous setup.

BT, Data and GPS all at the same time really freeks it out and I did that tons of times on the AllTel setup and it never missed a beat.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

kmatthews is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Leaked ROM Meltdown

Thats one hell of a story.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: Sprint Leaked ROM Meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatthews View Post
Thats one hell of a story.
I agree. I've had a few weird errors popup (autoupdate.exe, whatever that is), and I've tried some of the apps that have known issues with this ROM, but so far it has actually been solid for me. No lockups, GPS has worked flawless since the PPST trick. The one downside to a storage-based map is that the maps can easily be out of date. NO GPS program will get my parent's street, and their house is about 2 years old...yet my whole subdivision is in iGuidance and Garmin XT and its 2 years old. That's why Google Maps / Live Search come in handy sometimes.

When you rely on something to work, isn't that when something always goes wrong? I feel your pain!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue