PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 PM
lip
N00b
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: bell

lip is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Avoid putting exchange settings after ROM upgrade

Hi,
I've asked this on various forums to no avail.
After a ROM upgrade, the biggest pain for me is the exchange settings as our IT people at the company I work for have to enter in the settings (password) and they will not give me these for security reasons. Thus, I usually have to wait till a Wednesday to do this.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

LIP
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 AM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor
Re: Avoid putting exchange settings after ROM upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Hi,
After a ROM upgrade, the biggest pain for me is the exchange settings as our IT people at the company I work for have to enter in the settings (password) and they will not give me these for security reasons. Thus, I usually have to wait till a Wednesday to do this.

Thanks.

LIP
Are you trying to tell us you don't know your own password?

BTW, with WM6.1 if your IT deptartment upgrades to Exchange 2007 and sets up autodiscover properly you will be able to configure with just your email address and password, no other settings required

-GT
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I have heard of a lot of IT departments keeping such information from employees. And I don't know about you, but my IT department wouldn't really care if I suggested they upgrade to Exchange 2007.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

hoppyshaw is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to hoppyshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
Hi,

Thanks.

LIP
Ok, I have to ask this question. You active directory password is the same as you email password. So have you tried the password you always use everyday to login?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

firefly4321 is a n00b

You need to fire your IT department that's what.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

Just open up Active sync, click on menu -> configure server and copy down all the settings. When you get to the end of all the options just hit cancel, the password will be the same as your email login.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

ap007 is a n00b

Im experiencing the same problem. Has anybody found a solution to sync with an exchange server but avoid the security policy settings
Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

mithodge is becoming a great contributor

They may be needing to install a self-signed SSL certificate in order for your phone to trust the encryption. You can see if your Exchange server has a self signed certificate by accessing Outlook Web Access with IE. If you get a certificate warning, then you probably are waiting for them to install the SSL cert on your phone rather than for them to put in a password.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:44 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap007 View Post
Im experiencing the same problem. Has anybody found a solution to sync with an exchange server but avoid the security policy settings
If you are connecting to an Exchange 2007 server there is now way to avoid the security policy (you will be prompted when you first establish a connection, if yuo refuse you don't connect). Not sure about Exchange 2003 - never tried to apply policy with it.

-GT
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithodge View Post
They may be needing to install a self-signed SSL certificate in order for your phone to trust the encryption. You can see if your Exchange server has a self signed certificate by accessing Outlook Web Access with IE. If you get a certificate warning, then you probably are waiting for them to install the SSL cert on your phone rather than for them to put in a password.
If it is a self-signed certificate you can still do it yourself. Visit your OWA page and copy the root certificate to your PC. Then copy it to the Touch and click on it to install.

BTW, you may need to do this even if you do not get a warning from IE. First, IE has a bigger list of trusted root CAs then Windows Mobile, and second if you are using a PC at work they could have already added the company's CA into your list of trusted CAs.

Also, for those of you trying to do this without your IT department's knowledge you should be aware that everything is logged and they can find out what device you connect with pretty easily (if they want to). Activesync records a lot of info about the device inc.the model, so it is possible, for example, to tell the difference between an iPhone using activesync and a Touch.

-GT
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue