PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Can we use more than the mogul Radio...

Maybe its a dumb question but if the GPS works so well on the mogul now (and it does) can we use more then just the radio... Correct me if I am wrong but they are pretty much the same on the inside as far as GPS goes, right?

What makes the Mogul work so well. If it is the ROM/drivers can we do somethiing with that?

Last edited by ptfdmedic; 05-01-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can we use more than the mogul Radio...

Yes you can as long as you are running the bootloader that is included in the alltel rom.

I just flashed 3.35 titan to my touch about 20 minutes ago. Made a few test calls and everything seems great so far. (not that I can complain about the alltel radio rom) I don't use gps I just like to tinker with my stuff.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

This is really a bad idea, and you should count your blessings if your phone still works. Yes, in desperation to get GPS, some have flashed the Titan radio - doesn't make it a bright idea. While there are similarities between the touch and the titan hardware, they are not the same.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work

Yeah you need to understand the risks of flashing your phone over.

In regards to counting blessings, There isn't much to worry about. The worst that would happen is a no radio on boot in which case you can just repeat the same steps to go back to the original sprint rom.

Due to not needing drivers. activesync. or even a connection to a pc makes it easier to revert back if things don't go your way.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Maybe its a dumb question but if the GPS works so well on the mogul now (and it does) can we use more then just the radio... Correct me if I am wrong but they are pretty much the same on the inside as far as GPS goes, right?

What makes the Mogul work so well. If it is the ROM/drivers can we do somethiing with that?

I wasn't suggesting someone flash the rom. I was wondering if it could be ported over with whatever drivers make the Mogul work better. Thats all. Also flashing the radio only has been proven safe. Noone has had any problems with that. But I would never flash the titan rom....
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Deep Thinker

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkflame808 View Post
Yeah you need to understand the risks of flashing your phone over.

In regards to counting blessings, There isn't much to worry about. The worst that would happen is a no radio on boot in which case you can just repeat the same steps to go back to the original sprint rom.
No, that's definately not the worst that can happen. It's entirely possible to permanently hose your phone in multiple different ways, not all of which the symptoms are readily obvious.

As a case in point, the Titan GPS rom is NOT fully removable from your phone.
Quote:
Due to not needing drivers. activesync. or even a connection to a pc makes it easier to revert back if things don't go your way.
All of the items you mentioned, including SD flashing, are just a symptom of having a working bootloader - if one works, they all work (assuming they ever worked with your bootloader).

Last edited by gguruusa; 05-01-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
I wasn't suggesting someone flash the rom. I was wondering if it could be ported over with whatever drivers make the Mogul work better. Thats all. Also flashing the radio only has been proven safe. Noone has had any problems with that. But I would never flash the titan rom....
Not proven safe, just proven not immediately smoked. Flashing the OS rom is a lot safer than flashing a radio. A LOT safer. Both are bad ideas, however.

In answer to your question, radios are written at a much lower level than "drivers". It is very unlikely that anyone will port/modify a carrier provided radio from one device to another.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Not proven safe, just proven not immediately smoked. Flashing the OS rom is a lot safer than flashing a radio. A LOT safer. Both are bad ideas, however.

In answer to your question, radios are written at a much lower level than "drivers". It is very unlikely that anyone will port/modify a carrier provided radio from one device to another.
Could you explain exactly what you are talking about. Are we talking about the titan os rom or the titan radio. How does it not get removed when you reflash. I mean no disrespect but I am just curious about your point of view. I don't what to brick my phone either.....

Thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Deep Thinker

GPS radios load into a different area than non-gps radios. We don't know how to clear this area yet, though you can overwrite it with a vogue gps radio. Hence, you can't remove a gps radio once it's installed.

As to radios vs OS roms, radios are much more low level and therefore much easier to render your device into a brick when it goes bad. OS roms load late in the process, and therefore don't usually cause unrecoverable problems.

While the hardware is similar between titan and touch, it's clearly not identical. It is hard to predict what the effect of software that expects hardware to be present will do when the hardware doesn't exist. This can be anything from nothing to increased battery drain to slowly destroying flash to shortened hardware life to immediate smoke release. Some people have already demonstrated that immediate smoke release doesn't happen with titan radio on touch, but only time will tell if something more slowly destructive is occuring.

Last edited by gguruusa; 05-02-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 AM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
GPS radios load into a different area than non-gps radios. We don't know how to clear this area yet, though you can overwrite it with a vogue gps radio. Hence, you can't remove a gps radio once it's installed.

As to radios vs OS roms, radios are much more low level and therefore much easier to render your device into a brick when it goes bad. OS roms load late in the process, and therefore don't usually cause unrecoverable problems.

While the hardware is similar between titan and touch, it's clearly not identical. It is hard to predict what the effect of software that expects hardware to be present will do when the hardware doesn't exist. This can be anything from nothing to increased battery drain to slowly destroying flash to shortened hardware life to immediate smoke release. Some people have already demonstrated that immediate smoke release doesn't happen with titan radio on touch, but only time will tell if something more slowly destructive is occuring.
Would you then recommend going to the alltell radio or going back to non gps radio......At least until sprint releases theirs?? Is it ok to flash the alltell radio.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue