PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
kbl
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

kbl is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rev A = Simultaneous Voice & Data?

I thought Rev-A allows for simultaneous voice & data? I'm on Mustantech's 6.1 Rev-A with Bell Mobility as a carrier. That's something I've always looked forward to.

I live & work in Toronto so you'd think that area would have Rev-A coverage if any.

Any other Bell Vogue users care to comment? Thanks.

Btw, GPS is working great.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell Mobility

ludester is becoming a great contributor
Re: Rev A = Simultaneous Voice & Data?

ya i got a weird error 5 message today, something about being disconnected..totally forgot what it said.

Same rom, same carrier.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Rev A doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, it was never intended for that. It basically lowers latency, slightly increases download speed, and significantly increases upload speed.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

grooves12 is a n00b

theoretically it could... but it doesn't in the implementation used. The rev. a spec allows for voice calls using a VOIP setup, but none of the US carriers are using it that way. They are still using it as a data-only network with CDMA 1x carrying voice, and because of that there is no simultaneous data and voice.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Lurker

mikeylive is becoming a great contributor

QChat is coming out on Sprint this May. It uses VOIP technology via Rev A EVDO for Direct Connect (Push to Talk). QChat users can connect to any Nextel Direct Connect (iDEN) user as well as other QChat users.

Its less than a second connection time which is the same standard as iDEN. Its going to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than ReadyLink which in my opinion..sucked.

I wish Sprint would make an App to install on PPC or other phones that are Rev A capable to add QCHAT to your service. But they likely won't be. So far Sanyo and Motorola are the only companies on board. Samsung may be as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (vogue)
Carrier: Sprint

blisk is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Rev A doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, it was never intended for that. It basically lowers latency, slightly increases download speed, and significantly increases upload speed.
You know I could've sworn when I had my mogul I was able to be on the phone and look at google maps and have it download stuff....
Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisk View Post
You know I could've sworn when I had my mogul I was able to be on the phone and look at google maps and have it download stuff....
Mogul has WiFi, which will allow for talking and surfing simultaneously. This is because you are using the cell radio and the wifi radio.

The touch has the cell radio, and you cant use it for talking and surfing at the same time.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
theoretically it could... but it doesn't in the implementation used. The rev. a spec allows for voice calls using a VOIP setup, but none of the US carriers are using it that way. They are still using it as a data-only network with CDMA 1x carrying voice, and because of that there is no simultaneous data and voice.
EXACTLY. It is capable, but up to the carriers to implement the technology, good write-up

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

At this point, enabling carrier-wide VOIP over Rev A would only serve to cripple the Rev A data network. I don't see any carrier going to VOIP until true 4G technologies are rolled out. At that point, both the CDMA and GSM voice-only channels will be more or less irrelevant. Until then, there is really no reason to give up all the *free* bandwidth and existing 1x infrastructure. For simultaneous voice/data you can either 1) go to a GSM network 2) use WiFi and Cell radios as mentioned or 3) use your own VOIP service through your phone's data connection.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

grooves12 is a n00b

My guess is with Verizon's plans to go LTE we will begin to see VOIP once the 700mhz spectrum is opened up. They will probably install LTE on that spectrum from the start and then do a nationwide upgrade to the Rev. A portion of their bandwidth to LTE since it is theoretically backwards compatible. That should give them plenty of bandwidth for the early adopters that buy newer LTE phones to make voice calls on the "data" networks and as more and more of them move over would free up space in the 1X spectrum.

At some point down the line though the 1X will be shut down and/or moved to LTE (or its replacement) and all calls will be VOIP.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue