PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Sprint tocuh
Carrier: Sprint

sldavis is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Thinking of upgrading to a Sprint tocuh

I'm thinking of upgrading to the sprint touch but have a question. Can you use the phone as modem without spending an extra 40.00 a month like on the 6700 also what is the real world battery life and radio signal like? thanks.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO(AT&T Fuze)
Carrier: T-Mobile Pre-Paid

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldavis View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading to the sprint touch but have a question. Can you use the phone as modem without spending an extra 40.00 a month like on the 6700 also what is the real world battery life and radio signal like? thanks.
As far as the phone as modem thing, I'm not really sure. It has the option already on the phone but I can't seem to get it to work on my HP Pavilion Notebook computer. The battery life is somewhat sub-par on the standard battery life in my opinion but then again that depends greatly on usage and how you use it. I personally spend a lot of time text messaging so my battery life deteriorates quite fast but then again I have a charger at my side almost all the time both at home and at work so even that is not really a problem.

As far as signal goes... It's awesome. I have a full signal in my basement in Kansas. When I go to work, my signal is not so good, usually one or two bars but I'm still able to access the internet at relatively high speeds and send and receive texts immediately and also have never had a problem with missed calls or anything.

Short and sweet:
Battery: depends on usage
Signal: Great.
Phone as Modem: not so sure about that one.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppenis
Carrier: me

gabo1 is starting in the wrong direction
Send a message via MSN to gabo1
phone as modem without the 40 pam plan..... hell yes!!! n no 3rd party apps... the phone comes with a program called "internet sharing" with connects via usb or bluetooth to share internet....

as a matter of a fact thats how im connected at the moment in my laptop. and no i do not pay xtra 40 bucks a month..
Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

alpha_omega is a n00b
Yep all you have to do is set the internet connections to usb and sprint pcs also open IE page and then press connect. Opening the IE page is to trick sprint into thinking you're using your phone to surf the web and not as a modem. There is also a reg edit you can do so you don't have to open a IE page

Those of you running Sprint ROMs should remove the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

I've done it and it does exactly what its supposed to. Hope that helps.

Edit: Battery life is ok but if you use it a lot there are reg edit for battery hacks that seem to help I have them done on my phone. Check out the reg edit sitcky and you'll fine it there.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc vogue
Carrier: sprint

mush2699 is becoming a great contributor
thanks for the info i too was loking how to do this as i use vpn for work and i sometimes cant fing a wifi signal thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Sprint tocuh
Threadstarter

sldavis is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_omega View Post
Yep all you have to do is set the internet connections to usb and sprint pcs also open IE page and then press connect. Opening the IE page is to trick sprint into thinking you're using your phone to surf the web and not as a modem. There is also a reg edit you can do so you don't have to open a IE page

Those of you running Sprint ROMs should remove the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

I've done it and it does exactly what its supposed to. Hope that helps.

Edit: Battery life is ok but if you use it a lot there are reg edit for battery hacks that seem to help I have them done on my phone. Check out the reg edit sitcky and you'll fine it there.
thanks for the info its i think im sold. as the regedits i figured as much, after all is windows mobile it will take hours of research and a few hard resets to get it perfect. thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

tspinning is a n00b
welcome to the world of touching!

and nice choice

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue