PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

Gambit is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Messaging won't open

For unknown reasons I can no longer open my Messaging. My email icon on the HTC Home indicates I have 6 mail messages, but clicking it does nothing. The link next to it for text messages is not functioning either. Both will highlight when selected but nothing opens. The third icon for missed calls functions normally.

I've also tried going into Programs and selecting Messaging from there but that does not do anything either, the phone does not lock up or anything...just nothing happens. Soft resets do not fix the problem. This occurred a couple days ago and after a hard reset the messaging worked once again, but I'd like to avoid going through that again if possible.

A couple times when I clicked the text message link on the HTC Home I received a Voice Command error of all things, so I uninstalled VC, but it's still not working.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Gambit is a n00b
Problem solved. Here is the solution for anyone interested...

The mailbox folder must have gotten corrupt or something. I browsed to my storage card and noticed two similar folders, both beginning with "Inbox.mst*" and I could not open either folder, an error would occur.

I noticed the date on one of the folders was the day that the problem occurred the first time. The second folder had today's date. I deleted both folders, then tried opening Messaging again and it worked. I browsed back to the storage card and it had created a new "Inbox.mst*" folder (btw I was able to navigate into the new folder without error).

I don't know what caused the original folder(s) to get corrupted.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Do you have it set to download messaged to the storage card? This is not recommended on this phone because it can cause corruption problems on the storage card since it is accessed alot...that is probably what you were experiencing.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

fablife is just getting started
I had this very same issue. I stopped downloading attachments to my storage card - no more problems!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Gambit is a n00b
Thanks. I've now changed it to keep the message storage in main memory. No problems since.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: sprint

neo_rambo is a n00b
Thank you Gambit for posting this! I was worried cause I got this problem yesterday.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

GulfportRMG is a n00b
Thank you for this post... I was just about to do a Hard Reset to fix this !!!!!!!! Deleting the folder on the storage card fixed the problem.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO

Blaqdymun is keeping up the good workBlaqdymun is keeping up the good workBlaqdymun is keeping up the good work
storing items on SD Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Problem solved. Here is the solution for anyone interested...

The mailbox folder must have gotten corrupt or something. I browsed to my storage card and noticed two similar folders, both beginning with "Inbox.mst*" and I could not open either folder, an error would occur.

I noticed the date on one of the folders was the day that the problem occurred the first time. The second folder had today's date. I deleted both folders, then tried opening Messaging again and it worked. I browsed back to the storage card and it had created a new "Inbox.mst*" folder (btw I was able to navigate into the new folder without error).

I don't know what caused the original folder(s) to get corrupted.
Would you happen to know if it is okay to store the internet cache, cookies and history on the storage card, or is that just for Message attachments, anyone?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

jsisson is a n00b
Gambit - thank you, thank you, thank you. Saved me from a hard reset and hours of relaoding.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: bell

sphincter is a n00b
Re: Messaging won't open

i experienced the same problem today. FYI, i only needed to delete the newly created inbox folder (it does not have any files in it) to make it work again. i think the problem was that i had too many text messages or emails, and the phone tried to create a new inbox folder to store the new ones (just a theory, as i didn't have this problem before, and i've had my phone for 9 months). thanks!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue