PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Does gps work for you with fix?
Didn't work and still doesn't. 11 28.21%
Didn't work and now does! 3 7.69%
Did work and now doesn't (then why did you try it? :P) 5 12.82%
Did work and now get better locks. 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: New potential GPS fix work for you?

I'm happy to see that adding the registry setting has been helpful to most folks. Something else I discovered today (I've been out of town for a few days), is that hard resetting after reflashing, with the registry changes, has gotten me locks within seconds of booting up. As for the three files that were originally made available after the Alltel release (way back when), I have gotten a couple more locks, and a tad faster, with those files as opposed to without them. Just my experience guys. As has been said, unless VZW releases something , we're on our own with getting the gps to work consistently and well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSFAN View Post
The files in the archive have nothing to do with GPS. They are just some certificates that are installed to allow some specific privileged apps, and Microsoft Visual Studio. There is absolutely no way that the above can make GPS lock faster.
Well there must be something to it. I went from no locks under 5 min to locks in under 2 with the complete process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcatsmommy View Post
I'm happy to see that adding the registry setting has been helpful to most folks. Something else I discovered today (I've been out of town for a few days), is that hard resetting after reflashing, with the registry changes, has gotten me locks within seconds of booting up. As for the three files that were originally made available after the Alltel release (way back when), I have gotten a couple more locks, and a tad faster, with those files as opposed to without them. Just my experience guys. As has been said, unless VZW releases something , we're on our own with getting the gps to work consistently and well.
Thanks again. I updated my original post to specifically thank you for the files just in case people didn't notice from the link.

Two new observations:

1) Every once in a while sattelite data gets "stuck" and required a soft reset to fix. By stuck I mean when I open the gps viewer it already a certian number of sats and doesn't fluctuate and nothing happens. If I close and reopen the same sats are there already and nothing changes. Can't find a ryme or reason for it as it doesn't always happen after long periods of inactivity. As I said though soft reset fixes and I get locks right away when it opens up.

2) I started VisualSPSce and it that gives me faster locks than any other primer I have used. For the first time I am getting instant to one minute locks. Occasionally it takes up to 2. I've seen it posted in Negaman's guide which is where I got it but I have attached. If you haven't tried it I would suggest it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VisualGPSceInstall.zip (109.5 KB, 23 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: bell.ca

tichi is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
Two new observations:

1) Every once in a while sattelite data gets "stuck" and required a soft reset to fix. By stuck I mean when I open the gps viewer it already a certian number of sats and doesn't fluctuate and nothing happens. If I close and reopen the same sats are there already and nothing changes. Can't find a ryme or reason for it as it doesn't always happen after long periods of inactivity. As I said though soft reset fixes and I get locks right away when it opens up.
I'm also very curious to find out why this happens,
because this is the only ANNOYING problem I have with GPS...
( http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=32656 )
otherwise, it functions pretty satisfactorily - normally within a min or two, ,at maximum, COLD lock,
which, as I read, is the best a GPS can do for the physical reasons..
(I'm with Bell.ca, use NFSFAN's 1.10 rom, ppst.exe has been run)

I tried to remove the "stuck" satellite data with the "HTC GPS Tool" clear memory option, but it does not help..

Also I've read some time ago about interference of the power-off with GPS, but cannot find this now.. Though, for me it is often stuck even without power-off

EnablePDEIPFromNV - I do not have this setting.. what does it do?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

sanderz6900 is a n00b

I have the same problem with the "stuck" satelites, but I've only seen it happen on Holux GPSViewer after I've gotten a lock, and after the phone has automatically shut itself off.

On that note, is there a way to make the phone realize that it is doing something, so it doesn't turn off, like when it's playing a song in WMP?

Thanks!

Otherwise, in case you're interested, I am using JD's 1996X Hybrid ROM, and it is really fast and GPS locks are moderately quick.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSFAN View Post
The files in the archive have nothing to do with GPS. They are just some certificates that are installed to allow some specific privileged apps, and Microsoft Visual Studio. There is absolutely no way that the above can make GPS lock faster.
well, here the guy tells otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejinx0r View Post
Hm, after reading this thread, I have installed the 3 certs on the first page and then added that "reg hacl" of enable pdeip thingy and now I can also get locks pretty fast inside my house/room which I never did unless I left my phone next to my window.

What's pretty fast? It's my opening gps viewer to prime it and then opening google maps and selected "USE GPS" and having it say that it's already

I am using NFSFAN's rom.
maybe it is solely "pdeip thingy" that does the job for him ???
Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderz6900 View Post
I have the same problem with the "stuck" satelites, but I've only seen it happen on Holux GPSViewer after I've gotten a lock, and after the phone has automatically shut itself off.

On that note, is there a way to make the phone realize that it is doing something, so it doesn't turn off, like when it's playing a song in WMP?
so for you it is only the power-off, that makes GPS stuck?

about #2, I use GSplayer, which blanks the screen while playing, but does NOT shut off the phone... otherwise, I recall having seen a program somewhere, that does exactly what you want, but cannot remember any more details, sorry...
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

sanderz6900 is a n00b

I'm pretty sure that's all it is because that is only when I've seen it.

Well, if you can think of it, please let me know. I use iGo8, and it shuts off while using the GPS, but that makes it kind of tough to use. It didn't do that when I had TomTom6.

Anyone know of any solutions?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:

Well, if you can think of it, please let me know. I use iGo8, and it shuts off while using the GPS, but that makes it kind of tough to use. It didn't do that when I had TomTom6.

I think I've seen something either at: http://pocketpcfreewares.com
or at http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

try to search there.. good luck
Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:

Try VisualGPSce I find it to be the best one. See attahced.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VisualGPSceInstall.zip (109.5 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development