PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6900 verizon

TheeWizard is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: An safer alternative way to get Rev-A/GPS

i've been reading so many different gps wm6.1 threads, i'm not sure I i've got all of it 'straight' in my head, but i postively hate dealing with active sync, and this seems better to me.

my 'touch' is the verizon version, and AFAIK for me the buttons are the (2) phone buttons on the front plus the 'soft reset' i've done one hard reset after problems persisted from using Poketcm keyboard, and the camera-on combo doesn't work with this device for hard reset

the only thing that confuses me is the step (2) running the unlocker from active sync
that is the step i'm not sure of how to acomplish

i install all programs by using CABS, exe's for install never seem to work correctly ( driver issues ? )

do you drag & drop the file into active sync,

place it on the vogue/touch and execute it ?

yes its a neophyte question, but i would like it clarified please..

and thank you for a well written tutorial
Old 05-08-2008, 05:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work

Theewizard, I'll try me best to answer your questions. please bear with me I'm posting this from my touch.

ok, first. you mention hard resetting. this is not to be confused with boot loader mode. send + end + reset = hard reset.
power + camera + reset = boot loader mode.

if the boot loader combo does not work then maybe verizon blocked it. you will need to install cokeman to get it working.

ok issue two. cokeman. im sorry to say that the only way to install cokeman that I know of is to use that software. you need to kill activesync to allow the installer an opportunity to communicate with the phone to install cokeman. because of the way it disables certain security checks. you cant just make a cokeman cab so to speak. you need to run the cokeman loader by following the instructional on screen when you run it. I hope this is of help. take your time and read as much as you can. rushing will lead to disaster.good luck!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Lurker

TheeWizard is a n00b

thanks for explaining boot loader vs hard reset,

all the talk about active sync when doing the ROM flash, had things confused
I think i understand it now

plug in the touch, kill active sync, then run the unlocker, instructions appear un the PC screen

follow the instructions, when done the cokeman spl will be displayed on the touch screen
and i can continue with 'flashing process' using the card method. Atel rom first for the radio

if I got that right, its just a matter of deciding what ROM to use for the OS from among the many choices

all i'm looking for is revA and fast stable GPS lock, and a stable OS, I don't want to loose the camera or my ICS capabilities, better 1xRF for voice would be a plus.

I guess i'm saying , I don't need an OS with too much removed or added in, the touch has more RAM memory than previous models and i'm like 60% plus on free ram, its nice to have some things like java or google maps, flash player built in , but I don't consider it a necesity, for me 'as a Neophyte' , stability & first time good luck is what i need.

thank you.

Last edited by TheeWizard; 05-08-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work

For me, I just like a nice look and feel to the OS itself. I don't need a gazillion programs that i'll never launch. Just give me a nice today screen, nice dialer, a few tweaks to the way I can get around the device and i'm good.

One thing to note though. Take care in how you open your memory card door. I have a friend who likes to just rip it off like an 8 year old kid opening up a wii for christmas.

She's noticing that the rubber material that sockes into the door (not to be confused with the black rubber holding the door to the device) is coming off the glue. This is what keeps the door secured to the device. You don't want to damage this due to the multiple rom changes.... etc.

There are a lot of roms out there to experiment with. So many in fact that I have a hard time staying faithful to any particular one.

Oh there is no need to kill activesync I believe the loader will do that for you. What I did was just plugged in my device and activesync asked me if I wanted to sync etc. I just hit cancel. The circle was green. I then ran the loader and it did the rest for me.

Last edited by Darkflame808; 05-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Lurker

TheeWizard is a n00b

yeah, thats pretty much what i want, basic with revA & GPS, i'll add in what I want , OS tweaks for Ease & Speed are nice 'as long as its stable'

again thanks

Last edited by TheeWizard; 05-08-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

BeyondInvisible is a n00b

Thanks DarkFlame. Your guidance is much appreciated. It works flawlessly. I tried the original way, but couldn't get the file to run.

Now I've got GPS locked within 2 mins.

Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

actually I should be thanking you guys. you are the ones who are giving others the faith to try a different way of flashing. im greatful you guys took a chance with the guide. I was starting to feel like no one was interested in my guide.

I wanted to repay my appreciation to ppcgeeks for providing a place for so many great minds in the windows mobile scene and
an opportunity to share their ideas.
Mahalo for the support!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

BeyondInvisible is a n00b

I have some questions though.

After step 22, when phone was powering up, I soft reset the phone when it tried to customize. Should I let it do the customize? Now my phone looks OK. All function I need is there, except for some missing, like "running programs" when you click on Memory...

Also, today, my GPS is not locking in anymore. I left it still for 5 mins. It did see quite a few sats (sometimes 8-10), but no lock. Yesterday was so good, lock in within 2 mins inside my house.

Is there any way I can do to improve it? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TOUCH CDMA

atbcrash is a n00b

I have a question. Does this also have the radio install built into it or do I have to download and install that seperately? If not and everyone is having this success w/o it, do I really need to update the radio? If all of this goes through successfully, could I just use any rom or do I need one that has rev-a/GPS in it.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 AM
Lurker

TheeWizard is a n00b

IF you read the LONG name of the ROM you see it says radio 3.37

this is the updated radio with GPS, some ROMS have the 3.35 radio with GPS

some users like one version other like the other version
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development