PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Cook your own Custom Touch ROM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=18745)

boggsie 04-08-2008 08:00 PM

Re: Cook your own Custom Touch ROM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bparvin (Post 244353)
Tips would be welcome.

Sheriff Andy Taylor always said:
"Don't play leapfrog with an elephant!

My wife didn't laugh, either.

dereknjenny04 04-08-2008 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a stock vogue boot splash. It will hard reset your device.

Exil3d 04-08-2008 08:05 PM

huh ????????????????

bparvin 04-08-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dereknjenny04 (Post 244380)
Depends on what you add. My personal ROM is around 83mb as it has themes, custom ring tones, etc....

Thanks Derek. That was all I was checking if the .nbh files should be 75mb+ and it seems that way. I thought I saw them around 55mb but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways I have a new question now. I noticed that cooking apps into the rom makes the items show underneath /Windows. Is there anyway to make them show in /Program Files instead? It isn't a deal breaker or anything but I prefer the programs organized there. Going into Windows folder is such a pain sometimes.

dereknjenny04 04-08-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bparvin (Post 244437)
Thanks Derek. That was all I was checking if the .nbh files should be 75mb+ and it seems that way. I thought I saw them around 55mb but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways I have a new question now. I noticed that cooking apps into the rom makes the items show underneath /Windows. Is there anyway to make them show in /Program Files instead? It isn't a deal breaker or anything but I prefer the programs organized there. Going into Windows folder is such a pain sometimes.

All files go into \windows when cooking. You can use a .provxml or initflash file to copy into another directory, but the original file will always be in \windows.

At least that is how I understand it. I tried once to create a file in a different folder and couldn't do it.

ababrekar 04-09-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins (Post 187919)
This is just a quick guide on how to cook your own Custom Touch 6.1 ROM. This is my method, others may have their own method. I am not re-writing a kitchen tutorial, I am merely condensing it into 5 simple steps. If you can follow instructions, you can cook your own ROM. The tricky part is, what do you do when you get an error? That's where the real fun begins, lol. It's trial & error.

All these tools are already out there, I only packaged them for convienience.....Thanks to DogGuy, Lattisimo, No2Chem, jakdillard, dharvey for making these tools available!

I have put together 2 versions, one that is based on a stock Sprint ROM w/ 6.1, and one that is based on no2chem's v107 6.1 basekit (clean). These kitchens are based from DogGuys Kitchen, I would recommend reading his readme for more detailed information. The readme is located in the root folder. I have made it alittle easier by including the input.nbh and I have also ran the prepit.bat.

Step 1. Download & extract the Touch Kitchen of your choice. ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/OMJ/Kitchens/

Step 2. Copy your OEM's into the OEM folder. Many OEM's can be found here http://ppckitchen.org/packages/PPCGeeks_OEM.rar . You may have to search the forum/FTP to gather the OEM's you want.

Step 3. Run BuildOS, make sure there's a checkmark for each program you want to include in the ROM, then click the green "play" button at the top. It will say done at the bottom when finished. If you don't add any OEM's, there will be nothing to "check" in BuildOS.

Step 4. Run "buildit.bat" (doubleclick it). When complete, your ready to flash ROM will be in the RUU folder, named RUU_signed.nbh.

Step 5. Run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the RUU folder, you may want to 1st use the included PagePool changer to set the pagepool higher. I use 32, stock default is 12.

If this is your first attempt to build a rom, start simple. Just to get the feel of it, use the stock kitchen, follow the above steps, but skip step 2 (dont add any OEM's). Run BuildOS, buildit.bat, then flash. Next time around, add in your OEM's.

I hope this guide will help anyone that has interest in building their own custom ROM.....good luck

If you would like to build from scratch, the original Kitchen can be found here:
ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/OM...chen_tools.rar

very helpful guide OMJ :) want to ask just one question for the time being.. can these kitchens and tools and base rom be used for cooking custom roms for elfin? (Touch XL - 128 / 256)

ababrekar 04-09-2008 10:38 AM

can somebody be kind enough to post the kitchen and 19209 sys and xip packs somewhere else please? i just cant log in into the ftp here

kellybrf 04-11-2008 07:53 PM

i will be getting a vzw touch soon, probably monday, and would like to get the rom out there as fast as possible for the chefs. how would i go about dumping it?

OMJ 04-12-2008 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bparvin (Post 244353)
Hi I had a question that I couldn't find an answer to. I am trying to cook my first rom for myself using the Sprint 6.1 Stock 2921 build that JD posted.

The .nbh file is around 75mb and after cooking items in it I get it to around 79mb.

Is this size about right? I thought other cooked roms were closer to 55mb. Is there some sort of compression that you cooks do before hand or some sort of BigStorage utility that you guys use?

Tips would be welcome. Thanks!

yeah, it just depends on how much you add. If you didn't delete anything from JD's, it would be at least 75mb. I think the stock ROMs are around 55mb. The more OEMs you add the bigger it will be, mine are around 63mb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 244377)
I tried cooking myself, I failed miserably. But dertermination will one day allow me to cook.

I would start out simple, just to get the hang of it.....how did ya fail?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ababrekar (Post 244706)
very helpful guide OMJ :) want to ask just one question for the time being.. can these kitchens and tools and base rom be used for cooking custom roms for elfin? (Touch XL - 128 / 256)

I'm not sure, but I would guess no....maybe the kitchen tools would work, but probably not the rom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybrf (Post 247480)
i will be getting a vzw touch soon, probably monday, and would like to get the rom out there as fast as possible for the chefs. how would i go about dumping it?

sorry, but I just don't know.....I would PM ImCokeman.

kellybrf 04-12-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins (Post 247967)
sorry, but I just don't know.....I would PM ImCokeman.

looks like nemanracing got his before me and is already talking to him anyway, but thanks for the reply!