PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: sprint advanced exchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mi6 View Post
A final word: I often recommend that people (and this is highly dependent on the consumer's typical useage and life-style) NOT purchase insurance for their devices. Why? Because you wind up OVER-INSURING three times over, in some cases even more. EXAMPLE: If you purchase the insurance upon purchaing the phone, you are paying for coverage of a risk of peril that if occurs during the first 30 days of ownership of the device is properly assumed by the carrier. After the first 30 days it is properly assumed by the manufacturer. And after the first year, normally assumed by you. Given that the carrier and insurance company will not insure your phone AFTER the first year simply because it is no longer covered under the manufacturer's warranty (meaning that's not a good reason for them to provide you coverage), after the first year, you are largely on your own. Not to mention, if you look at statistics regarding timing and frequency of upgrades, it 'round about this time that you as the typical consumer start pondering getting a new phone, upgrading your phone, or changing the terms of your minutes anyway.
What is the point of the insurance then? It arguably covers perils such as a scratched LCD if you pay more for that coverage. But again, if you consider the following, you will see that you can usually replace your own LCD and other minor out of warranty "tune-ups" yourself and get more milage form your device pending your upgrade.

If you paid $6/month for a term of two years to cover your phone = $144 (more if you correct for taxes). Now, weigh that $144 against getting online, ordering a $40 LCD, replacing the screen yourself. Then, weigh that against simply doing the phone upgrade you would eventually do as a typical consumer which will yield you a brand new phone, anyway. Even correcting for the difference between a one year upgrade allowance of $75 and a two year upgrade allowance of $150, your exposure is STILL only the $75 loss having upgraded before FULL eligibility. I will not debate the point that you still stand to suffer additional loss from the "actual" cost of your new phone, since that discussion is subject to not only the depreciated value of your previous phone (the broken one--had it not broke) and the value of the new phone (whatever that might be), a figure that is not identifiable until you've chosen a new phone and know that cost. Never mind the fact that the upgrade process is something we all eventually do ANYWAY, notwithstanding.

So, depending on the type of coverage you are refering to, the above note should give you a sense of how to proceed. Good luck--007Mi6
um wow, lots of words for a lol... however, i feel your right and wrong in this instance... no insurance might be an ok idea for someone with a standard clamshel or bar phone and that takes care of it and all that stuff...

however, anyone with a PPC, should have insurance IMO... some of these people have legit claims on a MFG warranty, but due to where they are or how the store is feeling at the time, they get forced to make insurance claims to get the device fixed... some people here have had 5 or 6 keyboard failures, im sure some of those people were unfortunate enough to have to pay a deducatbale to get a new device.. also not everyone is tech savy, we have plenty of people on PPCG even that wouldnt have the first clue how to switch out a LCD or fix the ribbon on the keyboard themselves.. so imagine how many other people not on PPCG might not know how to do it as well.. PPCG users make up a significantly small percentage of a carrier acual customer base... so it def worth it to have insurance for any of those instances...

besides, if your shatter your 600 dollar phone, drop it in water, or screw it up period one time w/o insurance and have to pay full retail price again, that would more than superceed your theory of over paying in the end...

its 7 a month on Sprint for TEP..so thats $84 bucks a yr.. i had to claim 2 TPs last month.. One i flat out lost, the other i left on the roof of my car and drove away... thats 1200 bucks had i not had insurance.. cost me $50 a piece for my 2 NIB replacement TPs... even if you add my total yearly cost of TEP-$87+ my deductables of $100.. i still paid $187 bucks for 2 NIB Pros(and it Aug, so ive only paid half the yrs insurance fees anyways).... so who'dbe over paying now??

and on sprint, most of the time you can get them to pay the dedcuatble anyways.. have them pay that $100 fee once and thats over the $84 we pay in a year in fees... so they in theory paid us 16 bucks.. now have your phone replaced on sprint dime again in the same yr period(since that where the $84 comes from), and winner winner chicken dinner!

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-01-2009 at 04:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro