PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO + Palm PRE + Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

gearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fellow Geeks Opinion

Hey Guys, I am an avid Rom flasher, and a pretty technically savvy guy. I know what I like and I know how to tweak things and troubleshoot things. That is why my judgment is clouded right now. I got a Touch Pro for my brother, and I am going to get it all set up for him before we activate it. I am definately going to get him off the stock rom, and put a few things on their like wmwifirouter, spb ms3, and a few games. What I want to ask is, what do you guys think will be my best choice of rom for him that will let him use the phone regularly without having to worry about hard resets and software glitches. I am currently running a wm6.5 rom (Juicy 7 to be exact), but I know what to do if something goes wonky. I saw MighyMike put out a fresh 6.1 rom, and there are a few others, so I want to hear from my fellow geeks. What do i do for my noob brother to get him to appreciate this phone?

[
Old 05-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic Touch 4G

Imaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuffImaginos knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Imaginos
Re: Fellow Geeks Opinion

I would say start him on stock so he has a working base to learn from - if he cares to. Not to mention it will match the printed manual and Sprint (or whatever carrier) can prrovide assistance for him.

Throwing him into the custom rom mix from the beginning when he has no experience might be a frustrating time for him. Not to mention you'll end up having to be his constant support tech.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

gearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuffgearjunkeez knows their stuff

Hes already got a Mogul, so hes familiar with winMo. I dont mind being a support tech either. But, with custom roms and radios come better battery life, faster performance, and sometimes better reception. He has a bunch of iPhone fanboy friends, so he kinda wants to show them up a little too...
Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

I second that first opinion. Leave him run stock for a while to get use to the phone especially if its his first pda device.

Edit: well he's already familiar with windows mobile so sure why not, flash him something nice

Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

hotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I say stock too...unless you are going to be his personal technical support.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjunkeez View Post
Hey Guys, I am an avid Rom flasher, and a pretty technically savvy guy. I know what I like and I know how to tweak things and troubleshoot things. That is why my judgment is clouded right now. I got a Touch Pro for my brother, and I am going to get it all set up for him before we activate it. I am definately going to get him off the stock rom, and put a few things on their like wmwifirouter, spb ms3, and a few games. What I want to ask is, what do you guys think will be my best choice of rom for him that will let him use the phone regularly without having to worry about hard resets and software glitches. I am currently running a wm6.5 rom (Juicy 7 to be exact), but I know what to do if something goes wonky. I saw MighyMike put out a fresh 6.1 rom, and there are a few others, so I want to hear from my fellow geeks. What do i do for my noob brother to get him to appreciate this phone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
I second that first opinion. Leave him run stock for a while to get use to the phone especially if its his first pda device.

Edit: well he's already familiar with windows mobile so sure why not, flash him something nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspace View Post
I say stock too...unless you are going to be his personal technical support.
Acitvate on stock ROM!!!! Do not activate on custom ROM. Just reduces the chances for errors.

secondly, I wuol dhave him run stock for a few days so he will more appreciate the hard work put into custom ROM's.

Just my opinion.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
Acitvate on stock ROM!!!! Do not activate on custom ROM. Just reduces the chances for errors.

secondly, I wuol dhave him run stock for a few days so he will more appreciate the hard work put into custom ROM's.

Just my opinion.
Actually, he is running one of your roms on his Mogul. He knows how to navigate WinMO and use the phone, my concern is that a lot of the latest roms for the TP are based on WM 6.5, and there is a certain degree of troubleshooting ability required to run them. I guess I just wanted a recommendation on a good 6.1 rom that would pretty much run itself with maybe the occasional soft-reset. Maybe I shouldnt have called my bro a "noob", more like a novice...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Gkillratio is becoming a great contributor

i would say Mighty 4.16 better bat. life and no glitches for the avg user.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

idaman is keeping up the good workidaman is keeping up the good work

not mighty 4.16 but the new final version of the winmo mighty rom callen 4r3born, its glitch free and perfect, and enough like stock to be user friendly to everyone, and definately an imporvement over stock, just remember to install carrier specific cabs

Old 05-02-2009, 08:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: S3/GN2/AXIOM/TP2/Hero/Moment/EVO
Carrier: *--USCC--*

apristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the communityapristel is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to apristel Send a message via Skype™ to apristel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
not mighty 4.16 but the new final version of the winmo mighty rom callen 4r3born, its glitch free and perfect, and enough like stock to be user friendly to everyone, and definately an imporvement over stock, just remember to install carrier specific cabs
NO, it is not glitch free. The camera is shotty. Read the thread.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro