PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Sprint terminating my contract for too much roaming (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60249)

nyclio 03-07-2009 01:41 AM

Sprint terminating my contract for too much roaming

I work in a very low Sprint coverage area. As a result, I keep my TP on roaming pretty much all the time. Verizon is about the only service that gets signal where I am.

A sprint rep called me and told me they are going to be canceling my service very soon due to my excessive roaming (without the regular cancellation fee of course).

I don't mind. I am going to be switching over to Verizon.

Sprint wants their TP back so I am considering getting the same phone for Verizon (HTC Touch Pro) even though I know it is somewhat hardware crippled. I prefer WinMo phones. Are there any better alternatives anyone can suggest instead of the TP?

Also, a concern I have about Verizon that I am hoping a user here can answer from personal experience - can I use the Verizon TP as a modem the way I do w/ Sprint?

Thanks!

thacounty 03-07-2009 01:49 AM

Re: Sprint terminating my contract for too much roaming

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyclio (Post 757938)
I work in a very low Sprint coverage area. As a result, I keep my TP on roaming pretty much all the time. Verizon is about the only service that gets signal where I am.

A sprint rep called me and told me they are going to be canceling my service very soon due to my excessive roaming (without the regular cancellation fee of course).

Sprint wants their TP back so I am considering getting the same phone for Verizon (HTC Touch Pro) even though I know it is somewhat hardware crippled. I prefer WinMo phones. Are there any better alternatives anyone can suggest instead of the TP?

Also, a concern I have about Verizon that I am hoping a user here can answer from personal experience - can I use the Verizon TP as a modem the way I do w/ Sprint?

Thanks!

I am not sure about the modem thing, but do not give them their phone back! They said they had no roaming fees and this is their fault. Most people only are ok with using their Verizon TP after they disable TF3D. There is a tutorial for putting a Sprint TP on Verizon's network.

nyclio 03-07-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thacounty (Post 757947)
I am not sure about the modem thing, but do not give them their phone back! They said they had no roaming fees and this is their fault. Most people only are ok with using their Verizon TP after they disable TF3D. There is a tutorial for putting a Sprint TP on Verizon's network.

They told me that "although roaming is free, it is limited to 800 minutes per month before they start monitoring usage."

thacounty 03-07-2009 02:01 AM

Well, they are more than welcome to monitor haha. Id tell them they can cancel me if they want, if you don't care, and then say, but this phone is mine, I paid for it. From what I can tell, you DO NOT want a Verizon TP. I don't have one, but I haven't heard much good about it.

BRIVERS73 03-07-2009 02:04 AM

This is ridiculous. As many subscribers as Sprint are consistently losing who would think that they would be adding to that number by canceling people service?!?

Priest 03-07-2009 02:06 AM

Is Sprint going to give you the money back that you paid for the phone? As far as I'm concerned: "I paid for this phone, you're choosing to cancel me... I'm keeping the phone. Oh, and before you get off the phone, can you unlock it for me? Thanks!"

Hahaha!

nyclio 03-07-2009 02:11 AM

I am going to call tomorrow and argue for the phone. I do agree with it being on the ridiculous side though. I have had them since 1998 and have a $225/month family plan. You would think they could deal with my roaming due to their crappy signal.

acs12798 03-07-2009 02:16 AM

There is language in the contract regarding excessive roaming. However, the whole phone things seems really weird unless they are refunding your money for it. If they are refunding your money, you kind of make out on the deal since you can't use the Sprint version elsewhere anyway. If they don't refund your money its total BS they asked for it back.

ShadowDrake 03-07-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyclio (Post 757970)
I am going to call tomorrow and argue for the phone. I do agree with it being on the ridiculous side though. I have had them since 1998 and have a $225/month family plan. You would think they could deal with my roaming due to their crappy signal.

You're a long-term, high-usage customer and they're canceling your contract? Call them and complain, if you want to keep it. Let them know what the issue is and that you have otherwise been happy with your service and you would like to stay. See if they can get you an Airave (if that's what you want, it would solve your service issues)... I can't see them looking at your account and just throwing that out.

And they'll want to cancel accounts of people who roam too much because they have to pay the other network providers for roaming time used, and the same applies in the other direction.

mikenerd 03-07-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acs12798 (Post 757975)
There is language in the contract regarding excessive roaming. However, the whole phone things seems really weird unless they are refunding your money for it. If they are refunding your money, you kind of make out on the deal since you can't use the Sprint version elsewhere anyway. If they don't refund your money its total BS they asked for it back.

I just cancelled Sprint 2 weeks ago due to the increase in admin fees (thats what I told them) and I was only with them for 6 weeks. I paid no ETF and kept my TP. I put it on VZN and am VERY happy. I read you can cancel until 3/15 and not be charged the ETF. You might try that. BTW i cancelled because I kept having calls go to vm when i had full bars. I would have like to have stayed with them since they are 50 bucks a month less than vzn but I cant be missing calls. I also got a free Airave from them I need to sell....

agentjonnyb 03-07-2009 02:32 AM

I would definitely negotiate, it is their fault for not providing coverage there, you're paying for roaming, etc. If that fails, I would not give back the phone, you paid for it, it's yours, it's used, what value is it to them but a refurb for assurion to give someone. As the other guy said, you can bring it onto vzw.

becomer 03-07-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 757984)
I just cancelled Sprint 2 weeks ago due to the increase in admin fees (thats what I told them) and I was only with them for 6 weeks. I paid no ETF and kept my TP. I put it on VZN and am VERY happy. I read you can cancel until 3/15 and not be charged the ETF. You might try that. BTW i cancelled because I kept having calls go to vm when i had full bars. I would have like to have stayed with them since they are 50 bucks a month less than vzn but I cant be missing calls. I also got a free Airave from them I need to sell....

What exactly is an airave? Does it cost money to setup/maintain? How much do you want for it?

kennyidaho 03-07-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becomer (Post 757993)
What exactly is an airave? Does it cost money to setup/maintain? How much do you want for it?

Basically it's a box that you hook up to your internet then it provides 1x signal to your phone. Think of it as a mini personal cellphone tower. I believe there is a $5 a month charge. I don't know how much the box costs though. I do know that sometimes people in low signal errors have convinced sprint to give them one for free.

Nimdock 03-07-2009 06:09 AM

Yeah, you can definitely convince them to give you one for free with no monthly fee! In this case is the least they could do.

Dr.8820 03-07-2009 07:34 AM

that sucks my man! sprint is crazy..they should've given you an airave!

jmorton10 03-07-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 757984)
BTW i cancelled because I kept having calls go to vm when i had full bars. ..

That was why I dumped sprint & went to verizon.

I am using a sprint TouchPro activated on VZ & I love it.

~John

Dr.8820 03-07-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becomer (Post 757993)

airaves cost $99 plus $4.99/month for unlimited calls from your home or $15 for 2+ phones. i was lucky; i was talking to sprint a week ago and the signal kept dropping so they charged me $50 and waived the monthly fee for the next 2 years. EDIT: welcome to the battlefield soldier!

dkincaid 03-07-2009 09:47 AM

Guys, I don't think you really are thinking this out...

I'm positive there are likely some type of peering arrangements that the mobile providers have that allow for a certain amount of roaming time on each others towers. At some point, there are likely fees associated. If the original poster is using roaming excessively, it's very possible that Sprint is either losing money, or coming close enough to losing money that they don't want to take a chance.

As a business owner in a related field, I can say from experience that there are times when it makes sense to fire customers. It's just not working out. I'm sure he isn't getting the best service possible either and would likely be happy with someone who has native towers.

I'm in Maine right now roaming, and it completely sucks. A good portion of my calls are going right to voicemail etc. I can't imagine having to deal with roaming all the time, no matter how great the phones are with Sprint.

Just my .02! ;)

DaPeeps 03-07-2009 09:53 AM

If you think Verizon would give you better service...by all means go for it.

But dont you dare let them get away with taking that phone. you tell them under no circumstances will you give that phone back. If they persist..tell them to go ahead and charge you. Let it go to collections and then dispute it on your credit report.

Also, tell them you will report them to the better business bureau.

That is just OUTRAGEOUS.

Dr.8820 03-07-2009 09:55 AM

i agree with the above post but whomever told the op that sprint was terminating the contract dropped the ball. they should have at least offered the airave. just wait til dan hears about this!

toviaheli 03-07-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyclio (Post 757938)

Thanks!

Cyclio,

Do this asap:
Email the man whose email I give below. Tell him your story, very, very nicely. Ask him in the email why you can't just have an Airwave because the problem is with Sprint's coverage. Make sure you mention that you've been with Sprint since 1998 and it is a real shame they are terminating a long term customer with a high paying plan. You'd like to know if he thinks your situation is being handled properly and if there is anything he can do to help, or if you should go to the CEO?

email: jerry.adriano@sprint.com
V.P.

Jerry is the end of the line for Customer Service issues.

Hope this helps :-)

-TOV

osva 03-07-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr8820 (Post 758091)
airaves cost $99 plus $4.99/month for unlimited calls from your home or $15 for 2+ phones. i was lucky; i was talking to sprint a week ago and the signal kept dropping so they charged me $50 and waived the monthly fee for the next 2 years. EDIT: welcome to the battlefield soldier!

Airave cost $99 and $4.99 monthly fee not for unlimited calls. That 4.99 fee is for using airave.. There are plans for unlimited calling. But you can get airave free and they even waive your 4.99 monthly fee if you complain. You need to have High speed internet.

bfaber 03-07-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osva (Post 758224)
Airave cost $99 and $4.99 monthly fee not for unlimited calls. That 4.99 fee is for using airave.. There are plans for unlimited calling. But you can get airave free and they even waive your 4.99 monthly fee if you complain. You need to have High speed internet.

I use one of these for at-home coverage.. 'works well.

DaPeeps 03-07-2009 11:46 AM

I called Sprint and told them that my cell got no service in my house, and that friends with AT&T got great service in my house. I played dumb when they told me about the Airave...acted like I never heard of it and said I thought it would be a great idea. When they brought up the cost...I began to act hesitant...and told them I didnt feel it was fair that I spent so much money on the phones and was expected to pay another 100 for the airave just to get service in my own home.

They escalated me to a very nice lady who also was going to have me pay...but after me describing how much it sucks to have to talk on my porch outside...she agreed to send me the Airave for free, then I would pay the monthly 4 dollar charge. I was fine with that.

They did wind up having to charge my card half of the cost (49.99) because their system wouldnt let her send it for free (she said) but she did issue me a credit on my acount for that amount....so I was fine with that.

boolieman 03-07-2009 11:49 AM

Well i can see that many people covered the returning of the phone issue thogh i do want to say, i had the touch pro for vzw and well, it just gave me bugs and issues and there is one phone i love now and it should be cheaper now, at least it is where i live is the samsung omnia. Seems like a much faster device and 8gb onboard as well as tilt sensor and its one of the few vzw with a wifi capability built into it, i think you should look at the omnia, at the time of posting it was 99 with contract down from 200.

SporkLover 03-07-2009 11:52 AM

Sprint may not have offered the Airrave because the service is not available everywhere.

Dr.8820 03-07-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osva (Post 758224)

you are correct. the $4.99 is just for the airave service. $15.00 gets you the unlimited minutes.

jmorton10 03-07-2009 12:27 PM

I think you tell them to go pound sand on returning the phone (you paid for the phone & it's not your fault that Sprint's coverage blows)

Then, you take that phone, flash it with a Mighty or Scrosler ROM & activate it on your new Verizon account.

That way you get the best of both worlds.

~John

thelastpoet 03-07-2009 01:05 PM

if you are constantly roaming sprint has to pay verizon for that...that cost gets p***** down to customers which is why it is more cost effective to let you leave and go to a carrier that will give you the coverage you need instead of you paying sprint to use verizons network

DaPeeps 03-07-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 758287)
I think you tell them to go pound sand on returning the phone (you paid for the phone & it's not your fault that Sprint's coverage blows)

Then, you take that phone, flash it with a Mighty or Scrosler ROM & activate it on your new Verizon account.

That way you get the best of both worlds.

~John

+1 ... screw them...its their problem....no way on gods green earth would I give them that phone back.

Rusty Duck 03-07-2009 02:12 PM

If you used the address of where you use the service and they sold it to you then you have a solid case but if the address is different then shame on you. The associated cost with roaming is outrageous.

Success100 03-07-2009 02:26 PM

the rule is no more than 800 minutes in roaming per month OR no more than 50% of the included plan minutes can be used in roaming or Sprint can and sometimes will cancel your agreement if it is a recurring thing. the fact that they didnt offer you an Airrave floors me though customer service will normally toss in an Airave and waive the monthly charges to retain your business. Airaves work awesome though

monkey 03-07-2009 02:40 PM

Be sure to check tht they do apply the credit. I got my Airave back in January and when i called this week to make changes to my plan, the cs was very agressive and wanted me to make a paymant. My payments have been up to date but the credit was never applied. I had to put the whole $108.xx on my card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPeeps (Post 758236)
I called Sprint and told them that my cell got no service in my house, and that friends with AT&T got great service in my house. I played dumb when they told me about the Airave...acted like I never heard of it and said I thought it would be a great idea. When they brought up the cost...I began to act hesitant...and told them I didnt feel it was fair that I spent so much money on the phones and was expected to pay another 100 for the airave just to get service in my own home.

They escalated me to a very nice lady who also was going to have me pay...but after me describing how much it sucks to have to talk on my porch outside...she agreed to send me the Airave for free, then I would pay the monthly 4 dollar charge. I was fine with that.

They did wind up having to charge my card half of the cost (49.99) because their system wouldnt let her send it for free (she said) but she did issue me a credit on my acount for that amount....so I was fine with that.

letsgoflyers81 03-07-2009 03:17 PM

It's true that the contract allows Sprint to cancel your service if you roam too much, same thing with using too much data with a phone as modem plan. However I'm not familiar with anything regarding them getting your phone back. Especially considering Verizon's TP is crippled, I don't see why you couldn't allow them to cancel you, then sign up for Verizon and use your Sprint TP. Plenty of people are using a Sprint TP on Verizon because of the better hardware.

freeza 03-07-2009 03:29 PM

No wonder why Sprint is in such a bad financial place. All of you people trying to suggest going to Verizon don't make any sense.

#1. The plans are higher and the phones are crippled.

You're giving the OP ways to get Airwave for free then suggest paying higher for VZW service. How the hell does that make any sense? If you're going to suggest the higher priced VZW, why not just pay the money like an honest individual to get Sprint's Airwave?

If Sprint goes belly up, all you smug people who are proud to be using a SPRINT phone on the Verizon service won't be so smug when you are STUCK with crippled phones because your advice along with a crappy economy caused Sprint to go under.

In all my years with Sprint i've never read about class action lawsuits or people being angry that Sprint crippled a device. Gee I wonder why? Sprint tries too hard to cater to the customer and you people take advantage of that, then get mad when they want to make some money, but in the end have no problem paying VZW more money for comparable plans+crippled phones....lol

GoodGets 03-07-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPeeps (Post 758236)
it sucks to have to talk on my porch outside

I'm in the exact same boat. I can't use my phone while I'm sitting at my desk, no service, or anywhere in my actual bedroom. But, I do live on the bottom floor of a 3 story apartment building, which is why I get crappy service. Maybe I should try to get an airrave too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 758245)
Sprint may not have offered the Airrave because the service is not available everywhere.

From my understanding, Airrave is just a VOIP service. It turns your phone into a cable-like internet phone, exactly like Vonage. Meaning, if you have internet, you can have an Airrave.

Also, before the Airrave first came out, I remember reading an engadget article where they joked they could take the thing overseas and use it there. It was later revealed that there was a GPS feature inside of the Airrave to make sure you are using it inside the US.

GoodGets 03-07-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeza (Post 758475)
All of you people trying to suggest going to Verizon don't make any sense.

What do you mean "you people"

It's also the principle of the thing. If you are paying for service, then you should get adequate services. ESPECIALLY if you have a higher priced plan AND have been with sprint for 11 years. That's an awesome amount of loyalty. Shi t, the CEO hasn't even been with sprint for 11 years.

Bhut here is the real argument:
If it is within Sprint's power to remedy the situation, then they should. If Sprint did not have Airrave capability, it's one thing. But when all they gotta do is give em something that costs sprint next to nothing to keep a guy sooooo loyal and paying them so much, it just makes sense to keep this customer.

The op should not have to finagle to get this Airrave, sprint should have already suggested it. Sometimes it takes common people's ingenuity to make up for corporate greed, guess you're not a slickdealer.

Edit:
Also, sprint is so bad financially because they bought out Nextel. Hugely dumb move. Nextel was iDEN and Sprint is CDMA. It was far to great of a challenge to combine these two technologies into one network.

draythomp 03-07-2009 03:43 PM

If you decide to leave sprint for whatever reason, then go to Alltel. You have to do it soon though because Verizon bought Alltel and it won't be long before they merge completely. However, if you go now you can get a completely uncrippled HTC TP that customizes really well. You get the Verizon coverage and network usage and all the other perks that Alltel has been advertizing.

I left Verizon and went to Alltel just to get the uncrippled phone and still be able to use the same network. Worked well for me and lowered my bill by about $25 a month and got a smokin del on the phone.

Unknown Zone 03-07-2009 03:43 PM

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/popAAFull.html

Under "Roaming Included Plans":Sprint may terminate service if a majority of minutes in a given month are used while roaming off the Sprint Nationwide PCS Network.

EDIT
For Data Usage:

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024 KB equal 1 MB. 1024 MB equal 1 GB

Those are the rules :sad:

freeza 03-07-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGets (Post 758498)
What do you mean "you people"

It's also the principle of the thing. If you are paying for service, then you should get adequate services. ESPECIALLY if you have a higher priced plan AND have been with sprint for 11 years. That's an awesome amount of loyalty. Shi t, the CEO hasn't even been with sprint for 11 years.

Bhut here is the real argument:
If it is within Sprint's power to remedy the situation, then they should. If Sprint did not have Airrave capability, it's one thing. But when all they gotta do is give em something that costs sprint next to nothing to keep a guy sooooo loyal and paying them so much, it just makes sense to keep this customer.

The op should not have to finagle to get this Airrave, sprint should have already suggested it. Sometimes it takes common people's ingenuity to make up for corporate greed, guess you're not a slickdealer.

Edit:
Also, sprint is so bad financially because they bought out Nextel. Hugely dumb move. Nextel was iDEN and Sprint is CDMA. It was far to great of a challenge to combine these two technologies into one network.

So, it's his "right" to get an Airwave for free? lol....