PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

juan35 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to juan35
Ok noob questions: to flash or not to flash?

Ok ive got my TP a week ago and i have customize it with tons of cabs that i downloaded and stuff, im just wondering what is the difference between just changing things with cab files and changing the rom or whatever... im not sure im getting the difference.

thanks

-[
Currently Pimping:MightyRom ]
Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Ok noob questions: to flash or not to flash?

better radio, apps, battery life, more mem...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

A custom rom takes 10 minutes to customize your device, with cabs it may take hours!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: go EVO go EVO go..go EVO go..EVO..EVO..

cyespocket is keeping up the good workcyespocket is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to cyespocket

bro.FLASH IT...i was the same when i got my tp..but after flashing it for the first time..its awesome..ive flashed about 6 or 7 times now..flash till u find the right one for you..
Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4g & TP 2
Carrier: Dan.

coolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Putting a custom rom on your phone allows you to pick and choose what features you want on your phone when you start it. You can get rid of anything you don't use, and add anything you do that isn't included in the first place. And, one of the best features is that if you have a custom rom, then install a cab that screws something up and you have to hard reset, everything will still be there, minus your contacts, email, txts.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I have a little different perspective on flashing the TP.

I used a couple Verizon xv6800's until buying a TP in November. When I got my first 6800 I was really disappointed in it in a lot of ways that I fixed with numerous ROM flashes etc etc etc. I flashed it the first time to change the radio & enable the GPS.

After numerous ROM flashes & BU restores etc etc etc I finally got the 6800 to where I absolutely loved it (using nueROM 3) & I still keep one around as a BU to my TP.

I now have a couple Sprint TP's activated on Verizon service. I got the first one back when the TP's where pretty new & flashed it to the leaked VZ ROM as there was not much else available at the time & I wanted to get it going on my VZ account.

That phone is still running the VZ ROM & on my other TP I have tried a TON of custom ROM's. I find the TP does not really benefit much at all from a custom ROM. In the old 6800's, the custom ROM's made a HUGE difference when we where constantly working around low free memory/locked GPS etc etc etc etc

With my original TP, all those problems that the 6800 came with (slow laggy performance/no GPS/constant memory problems etc etc) never existed in the first place. The TP has virtually unlimited free memory (at least the Sprint version does) & a few reg tweaks will dramatically speed up the performance of TF3D without flashing to a new ROM.

At this point, my two TP's look identical. I did exactly the same theme & TF3D mods etc to both & they both have all the same apps etc installed. Basically, the ONLY difference between the two is one still has the leaked vz rom (GPS works fine with that rom by the way) & the other one has whatever custom ROM I happen to be trying out that day.

I can honestly say the performance between the two systems is virtually identical (the VZ ROM phone is highly tweaked). When I use either phone it is easy to forget which one I am using at the time. I see virtually no apparent speed difference between the two in every day use. Really, the only thing that reminds me which is which is the fact that with the vz ROM I can slide my finger down the email inbox to "select all" & the newer ROM's won't let you do that (& I really like that feature)

~John
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I'm here:

- Flash rom to fix deficiencies in OS/Radio
- Use cabs to install apps.

You may not be.

Examples: been playing with TP3dHD via cabs, could have flashed a rom with it. It's still pretty raw, so no reason to lock it into rom just yet. I did flash a new radio (1.11) to see if that would help (it does, or I imagine it does, which is about the same thing)

Wife wanted Manilia 2D on her touch/vogue - better in that case to flash a rom since M2D works much better without the cube crap and with a bigger page pool.

Pretty much do whatever works for you.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
I did flash a new radio (1.11) to see if that would help (it does, or I imagine it does, which is about the same thing)

LOL, that comment cracked me up.....

What differences do you notice with that radio?? I have considered swapping myself.

~John
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro

thundrbird1 is keeping up the good workthundrbird1 is keeping up the good work

Dude, just flash it. It's a WM device and it understands it destiny. I started with the 6700 to the Mogul, then Diamond, now the Pro and have flashed everyone of them with little to no issues. You'll love the device even more after you've flashed it.

Peace
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
VIP n00b
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Rusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Duck

Flash it!!!!!

To be honest I do not have the time or knowledge to develop what the folks have come up with.

If HTC (or the carriers) had any thought leadership they would hire these guys to build the ROMs for them.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro