PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ROM Option Cliff Notes

Just an idea....
There are so many ROM options now and some have threads with 100's of entries so is it possible to have a sticky that gives a short recap of each?

Even reading the first 3 pages and the last 3 pages of a thread does not really tell you all you need to know about a ROM option. Having a short description of each ROM option can narrow your selection down to 2 or 3 and then we can read the entire threads on those we are interested in trying out.

The page can be maintained by the creator of the ROM or some expert or experts on each of the different ROMs. I know there are flashers out there that have tried many of the existing ROMs.

Also... why are some ROMs and/or kitchens sticky and others not? Or is this a politically hot question?

Thanks,
tsp
Sprint TP
Old 12-31-2008, 04:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: ROM Option Cliff Notes

Every custom rom has a listing (cliff notes) about their rom. That should be all you really need to know. If you want specifics you will have to install the rom and experience it for yourself. No cliff notes will tell you how it performs specifically for you. Most cooks have pictures and change logs as well.

Roms and kitchens closer to stock seem to be the ones stickied more often then not. Only the mods can truly explain for sure. I am only guessing.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro & Mogul
Threadstarter

tsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good worktsperez is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
Every custom rom has a listing (cliff notes) about their rom. That should be all you really need to know. If you want specifics you will have to install the rom and experience it for yourself. No cliff notes will tell you how it performs specifically for you. Most cooks have pictures and change logs as well.

<snip>
This is true but they are all over the place. For example, I just counted what I think are ROMs on the first page and I counted 12. And that's just page one! I agree with you that the screen shots help a lot but what I was looking for was more of a one-liner. For example...
ROM XYZ - Basic ROM, Sprint Theme, Ver 20931, and maybe added programs.
ROM FB - Full blown ROM, many extras, 19975, stable, known bugs...

I think links could be added pointing to the full thread. We used to have one kitchen, then two, and now I have no idea how many kitchens we have (No2Chem, Nex, DCD are the early ones that I used to work with).

I'm willing to flash 4 or so ROMs and evaluate but I do not have the time to flash 15 or 20 (some ROMs have multiple versions i.e., Ivan's). And then there are the kitchens... I like them a lot but many combinations do not work right. A little advise with these would help a lot I think.

Am I making sense???

tsp
Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I hear you, it can be over whelming sometimes and just as much if not more, over whelming for the cooks. They take the time to research/test their roms, cook the roms, take suggestions and feedback for roms, make special roms for specific carriers or people, upload the roms, give change notes/logs all the while probably having full time jobs and familes.

The few roms you have to flash is far less then what these cooks have to go through daily. If you want to start up some listing, I am sure many people would be happy and find it useful. But honestly, some of the things you suggested..are in fact listed by the cook in the rom thread they created. Usually within the first couple pages.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro