\"PPCGeeks\"

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   [Was] TP no longer backordered! In stock now... [Now] Out of stock again :( (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50122)

snovvman 12-22-2008 11:59 AM

[Was] TP no longer backordered! In stock now... [Now] Out of stock again :(

Just ordered another one online from Sprint.com. Get yours (or exchange) if you have been waiting!

I'm hoping that the new one will have newer hardware versions and minor tweaks (fit, keyboard slide, etc.).

Cheers.

chronster 12-22-2008 12:06 PM

Re: TP no longer backordered! In stock now...

Let us know about the build quality when it comes in.

rihavens 12-22-2008 12:07 PM

I got mine a month ago and its just fine. I am certian they have worked out most of the hardware bugs.

platin465 12-22-2008 12:18 PM

I was just about to post that they're available again, but you beat me to it. Please do let us know if there's anything different there. Thanks!

thesfactor 12-22-2008 12:28 PM

Can someone please let us know if the new TP's have the same charging heating issues that the old ones did? I'd like to know if it's worth exchanging mine or not...

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesfactor (Post 593109)
Can someone please let us know if the new TP's have the same charging heating issues that the old ones did? I'd like to know if it's worth exchanging mine or not...

Ditto, try making a 2-hour phone call, starting at 100% battery, and see what your battery ends up at, even while on the charger. For my hardware revisions, it would drop to 80% during the first hour, and to 20-50% during the second hour.

aceracer24 12-22-2008 12:45 PM

I have a hard time making a 30 min phone call...geesh. As for the heat, that's not going to go away. I'll eat my dirty socks if this issue ever completely goes away for the Diamond or the Touch Pro.

chronster 12-22-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 593126)
Ditto, try making a 2-hour phone call, starting at 100% battery, and see what your battery ends up at, even while on the charger. For my hardware revisions, it would drop to 80% during the first hour, and to 20-50% during the second hour.

I know this sounds silly, but have you tried sliding the keyboard out on long phone calls? Part of the problem is batteries drain faster when they are warm, and the radio gets warm and heats the battery up. With the keyboard out, there's more surface area to be cooled. I did this when using my phone as a modem, and it significantly reduced the temperature. I had compared it to the first time I used the phone as a modem.

aceracer24 12-22-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593148)
I know this sounds silly, but have you tried sliding the keyboard out on long phone calls? Part of the problem is batteries drain faster when they are warm, and the radio gets warm and heats the battery up. With the keyboard out, there's more surface area to be cooled. I did this when using my phone as a modem, and it significantly reduced the temperature. I had compared it to the first time I used the phone as a modem.

That would be very uncomfortable trying to talk on the phone with the keyboard out. Its fixing a problem by introducing a new one...kinda dumb if you ask me.

chronster 12-22-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 593153)
That would be very uncomfortable trying to talk on the phone with the keyboard out. Its fixing a problem by introducing a new one...kinda dumb if you ask me.

try it. Hold the phone up to your ear with the kb out. Not uncomfortable at all actually.

aceracer24 12-22-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593159)
try it. Hold the phone up to your ear with the kb out. Not uncomfortable at all actually.

No, I don't need to hold it to my head with the keyboard open to know how stupid i would look. If it works and people feel all comfy doing so then so be it. It's still a rather lame way of solving a problem.

epsilon 12-22-2008 01:00 PM

Just called telsales, no tp's or any word when they will be getting any more. And dam if they weren't pushing the blackberry hard. I had to hang up on them just to get him to stop talking about the dam thing.

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593148)

Yes it sounds silly! :) Can you imagine walking around like that? That looks embarassing. I agree that can be a temporary solution, but I would like to see HTC fix their CDMA radio issues...

I have to admit I never did the slide-out trick when I owned my Pro, because I didn't feel I should have to--being such an expensive device. I guess that's just my standards. Others don't mind doing that, that's cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 593153)

I have to agree ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593159)

While this may work, you have to agree that it is silly to have to do this in the first place

chronster 12-22-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 593163)
No, I don't need to hold it to my head with the keyboard open to know how stupid i would look. If it works and people feel all comfy doing so then so be it. It's still a rather lame way of solving a problem.

whatever dude. I offered my partial solution, just showed what works for me, and you're bashing the idea without adding anything constructive. Your posts are not needed. If you're on your phone for 2 hours in public, don't worry about this making you look stupid, you already do.

This isn't a just a solution for phone calls either. Anytime you need the radio for an extended period of time, having the keyboard out should help dissipate the heat a little.

chronster 12-22-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 593174)
While this may work, you have to agree that it is silly to have to do this in the first place

What else can we do? HTC is horrible about listening to complaints, and if this helps, why not? I don't see what's so "embarrassing" about talking on the phone with the keyboard is out. Your hand covers most of this phone anyway.

Whatever, I'll do what works for me, sorry if this idea isn't good enough. Besides taking the battery cover off and making a custom cover with fans built in, we're pretty much SOL.

[sammich] 12-22-2008 01:05 PM

Can't wait to see this... Someone wanna open theirs up and see if there's a heatshield?

blazinazn 12-22-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593177)
whatever dude. I offered my partial solution, just showed what works for me, and you're bashing the idea without adding anything constructive. Your posts are not needed. If you're on your phone for 2 hours in public, don't worry about this making you look stupid, you already do.

This isn't a just a solution for phone calls either. Anytime you need the radio for an extended period of time, having the keyboard out should help dissipate the heat a little.

Careful, you'll be labeled an HTC Fanboy or an HTC apologist...:protest:

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593182)
What else can we do? HTC is horrible about listening to complaints, and if this helps, why not? I don't see what's so "embarrassing" about talking on the phone with the keyboard is out. Your hand covers most of this phone anyway.

Whatever, I'll do what works for me, sorry if this idea isn't good enough. Besides taking the battery cover off and making a custom cover with fans built in, we're pretty much SOL.

No one is attacking you here man. You did offer a solution, and we appreciate it, but you have to realize that it should not be necessary to talk with the phone open.

Yes, it's the radio, heating up the batteries, which then drain quicker, because they are hot. Then they cannot charge, because the overheat-detecting circuitry kicks in.

Thank you for your advice, and I am sure a few people will do as you say... I think the thing we are trying to point out that "most people," would find talking on it with the keyboard unacceptable and embarassing. Many of us are on long phone calls on a regular basis, and I don't think that it's all that embarassing to just be on a phone. It's fairly commonplace these days.

Once again, thanks, but we are trying to find out if the problem might get taken care of by the latest revision that this gentleman might in fact recieve from his order--now that they aren't "out of stock."

I wonder why HTC is so unresponsive to complaints and issues? When I called, they basically told me to screw off, and talk to Sprint. Huh? If I bought a Panasonic plasma from Best Buy, I should still be able to call Panasonic if I have an issue.. I don't get that thought-process...

Oh well! Live and be happy ;) Since HTC wouldn't resolve the issue, I just moved on and I will find a phone that doesn't overheat.

chronster 12-22-2008 01:15 PM

Yeah if someone comes back and says the new phones don't get warm during long calls, I'll be one of the first ones to get a replacement. I hate the fact that there has to be a "workaround" for ANYTHING with our phones, but lately I've come to realize that's the direction these companies are headed; Release something that's not up to par, but fix it later.

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 593194)
Careful, you'll be labeled an HTC Fanboy or an HTC apologist...:protest:

Nope, he's just a guy willing to force his phone to work properly. Kudos to him, and he has some good advice. A "few" of us would not go to such extremes.

I would, if I was stuck with the phone.

Again, seriously, it is good advice to prevent the phone from overheating. I also wonder if there is something that could be done to "wick" away the heat from that radio portion? Perhaps an aluminum back cover, with fins? Like a giant heat-sink? That might look pretty cool as well...

blazinazn 12-22-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593209)
lately I've come to realize that's the direction these companies are headed; Release something that's not up to par, but fix it later.

Sounds like the US automakers. Maybe the government will bail them out too...

blazinazn 12-22-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 593212)
Nope, he's just a guy willing to force his phone to work properly. Kudos to him, and he has some good advice. A "few" of us would not go to such extremes.

I would, if I was stuck with the phone.

Again, seriously, it is good advice to prevent the phone from overheating. I also wonder if there is something that could be done to "wick" away the heat from that radio portion? Perhaps an aluminum back cover, with fins? Like a giant heat-sink? That might look pretty cool as well...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't force my phone to work...

So salty...

PdaAddict 12-22-2008 01:21 PM

Can anyone please help? I am on SERO and trying to do an exchange. For some reason customer care or order support claim they are unable to process a replacement for me because they are lacking certain privileges. can anyone tell me what number I should be calling? Thanks in advance!!

aceracer24 12-22-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593177)

Thank you for the kind words. I don't recall praising you near as much although I probably should have considering your reply.

The fact that I didn't agree with your idea doesn't mean I didn't agree that it worked. As for not adding anything constructive, your correct. There is little that can be added. Battery teaks don't solve it, radio have yet to solve it...so there was little to add. I am sorry you are upset that I didn't care for your idea, I was only pointing out the obvious...most people won't be opening the keyboard while talking on the phone.

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazinazn (Post 593232)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't force my phone to work...

So salty...

Well if you don't have to hold the keyboard open while talking, or install the audiopara hack, or any other mod like that, then yes, you are correct as well as lucky.. You don't need to force/convince/or otherwise manhandle your TP to make it work properly.

Consider yourself lucky... very lucky. You are giving people hope that they can get a Pro without overheating issues... I just hope it's not false hope... That would be really uncool.

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PdaAddict (Post 593234)
Can anyone please help? I am on SERO and trying to do an exchange. For some reason customer care or order support claim they are unable to process a replacement for me because they are lacking certain privileges. can anyone tell me what number I should be calling? Thanks in advance!!

You might have to go into the store. The techs might have to verify it before they can place your order. The phone support people should have been able to tell you, if that was the case--but we know there seems to be a lack of communications with stuff like this...

aceracer24 12-22-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 593241)
Well if you don't have to hold the keyboard open while talking, or install the audiopara hack, or any other mod like that, then yes, you are correct as well as lucky.. You don't need to force/convince/or otherwise manhandle your TP to make it work properly.

Consider yourself lucky... very lucky. You are giving people hope that they can get a Pro without overheating issues... I just hope it's not false hope... That would be really uncool.

Mine works great! I love my phone. It has a few flaws but over all it's fantastic.

It does get warm, great for those cold winter nights.

The battery could be better but I don't worry about it much. I have a charger every where I go and it sure beats having to man handle a tangled phone cord or the crap range cordless phones provide.

It plays video pretty well when on the go, far better then my craptastic Motorola Razr ever could. Helps pass the time when I am not home and able to enjoy real movies on my large projector screen...

Ahh remember the days when we didn't have cell phones..or portable movie players? Or how about those super large brick cell phones that first came out...those were the days.

blazinazn 12-22-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 593241)

As a matter of fact, I don't need to open the keyboard when I'm talking on the phone. Does the phone get warm? Sure it does, not to the point where it's burning me or I need to take the back cover off or open up the keyboard. It's a mini computer for christ sakes.

Haven't installed the audio hack, i can hear just fine.

And why would come on here and lie about these things? This is my first HTC phone, so i'm definitely not a fanboy of HTC. Why is it so hard to fathom that SOME of these phones are fine?

To the mods, I'm sorry for getting off topic in yet another thread. I don't want another thread closed because of it so I'll just use the ignore feature.

Proceed..

ScrapMaker 12-22-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 593256)
Mine works great! I love my phone. It has a few flaws but over all it's fantastic.

It does get warm, great for those cold winter nights.

The battery could be better but I don't worry about it much. I have a charger every where I go and it sure beats having to man handle a tangled phone cord or the crap range cordless phones provide.

It plays video pretty well when on the go, far better then my craptastic Motorola Razr ever could. Helps pass the time when I am not home and able to enjoy real movies on my large projector screen...

Ahh remember the days when we didn't have cell phones..or portable movie players? Or how about those super large brick cell phones that first came out...those were the days.

hehe you make a good point--HTC could market on the "Built-In Heater" aspect!

Awesome! People in northern U.S. or Canada would love it ;)

chronster 12-22-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 593238)
Thank you for the kind words. I don't recall praising you near as much although I probably should have considering your reply.

Thank you for your sarcasm. Considering YOUR replies, I think my response was fair.

Maybe somebody can answer me this: Why on a phone like the RAZR or even my old piece of junk Instinct, would the radio NOT get hot? Is it cheap hardware or bad programming? Perhaps at this point it would be opinion as to which is the culprit, but if it's bad hardware then do you guys really think HTC would swap out such an important piece for another? I hoping its just really bad programming that can be updated.

Exil3d 12-22-2008 01:41 PM

Nope. Just called SC and they said"Sorry we still dont have them in stock"

snovvman 12-22-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 593292)

Strange... I placed the order this morning online, and got a confirmation number. We'll see if it shows.

Edit: Just looked at Sprint's website, it is still available for ordering online.

chronster 12-22-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 593319)
Strange... I placed the order this morning online, and got a confirmation number. We'll see if it shows.

Edit: Just looked at Sprint's website, it is still available for ordering online.

Well it's always available for ordering online. Sprint has no problem taking your money. Does it say something like "This item is in stock" or "This item usually ships 1-2 business days"?

When I ordered mine, I bought it on november 4th, but it didn't get to me until the 11th. The evaluation period still starts on the 4th though, so keep that in mind. They say you have 30 days to test the phone, but thats only if you buy it in the store. The 30 days start on the date of purchase not activation, so if it's stuck in shipping or back ordered, each day its like that is one day less you get to test it.

It's pretty misleading really, and the only reason I'm still with Sprint. I got an instinct, it took over 2 weeks to get to me, had it for about 3 weeks, tried to send the piece of junk back, and woops, Sprint said I was locked in.

wowitsjashon 12-22-2008 02:01 PM

they are most def back in stock now. i just got the email stating just that. I called sprint back and they are 1 day shipping it so i'll have it tomorrow

chronster 12-22-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 593292)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowitsjashon (Post 593328)
they are most def back in stock now. i just got the email stating just that. I called sprint back and they are 1 day shipping it so i'll have it tomorrow

@Exil3d - try calling back 5 more times and let us know the 5 different answers you get :mrgreen:

land2634 12-22-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593327)
Well it's always available for ordering online. Sprint has no problem taking your money. Does it say something like "This item is in stock" or "This item usually ships 1-2 business days"?

When I ordered mine, I bought it on november 4th, but it didn't get to me until the 11th. The evaluation period still starts on the 4th though, so keep that in mind. They say you have 30 days to test the phone, but thats only if you buy it in the store. The 30 days start on the date of purchase not activation, so if it's stuck in shipping or back ordered, each day its like that is one day less you get to test it.

It's pretty misleading really, and the only reason I'm still with Sprint. I got an instinct, it took over 2 weeks to get to me, had it for about 3 weeks, tried to send the piece of junk back, and woops, Sprint said I was locked in.

My 30 days have never started until the day the device was activated. Could be wrong, but I was pretty sure this is the case.

lipidfats 12-22-2008 02:14 PM

I got the email this morning as well...
Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593327)

I don't think it was always available for order online, which was shocking when i checked (tried to order for a family member multiple times). It showed up in their phone list, but just said "back-ordered" and didn't have an add to cart button (also had an email sign up to let you know when it's available again).

@Scrapmaker, are you gonna take another test run? lol

chronster 12-22-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by land2634 (Post 593345)
My 30 days have never started until the day the device was activated. Could be wrong, but I was pretty sure this is the case.

I actually confirmed it with the touch pro. I went into a sprint store and asked them when I had to bring the phone back, and he said the 4th. Then I called Sprint and they also said the 4th. I did this just a few days after getting the phone just to make sure.

Unless you've had to actually deal with them and their "30 day evaluation" it's not something you'd pick up on.

bodhijames 12-22-2008 02:52 PM

The Sprint Sales Exec that handles all our company told me last week that the TP's were due back in stock Dec 21.

land2634 12-22-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 593365)
I actually confirmed it with the touch pro. I went into a sprint store and asked them when I had to bring the phone back, and he said the 4th. Then I called Sprint and they also said the 4th. I did this just a few days after getting the phone just to make sure.

Unless you've had to actually deal with them and their "30 day evaluation" it's not something you'd pick up on.

I guess another example of different stories from different reps. I have actually had to use the 30 days recently on my wife's Diamond.

"If you are an existing customer and you are not satisfied with your upgraded device or your new service offer, you can contact Sprint within 30 days of your new contract or activation of your new device, whichever came first, to be restored to your previous contract"

That's from Sprint's Website. Guess it depends on whether you sign a contract or not.