PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 AM
CyanogenMod
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S IV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to LilRico Send a message via MSN to LilRico
Re: A $1.48 goes a long way... Black Battery Cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro254 View Post
i think you water was to hot blue has a whay of turning things black if it is over heated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdinh View Post
maybe you had to much water, and didnt add enought Dyre, i pored the whole dye in the bag into a small pot and let it cook for about 10 minutes, and came out beautiful
I had the whole die in there... Maybe not enough water is the reason though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyBeno View Post
Look Ive done more of these covers than anybody by now and why in the heck are u boiling the water in the first place. Just get it hot enough to barely see vapors. Like XWEAPONX said just hot enogh that u can only hold ur finger in for a sec or two. Like scalding running water from the tap. THEN stir in the color and let it dissolve all the way for about 5 minutes. Then check the cover every 5 minutes until the desired hue is ready. THEN rinse under cold water and rub with ur hands and ur done. As someone who knows chemistry u probably had the water too hot and broke down the dye. Also if the color looks black u probably used too much dye or cooked it too long. And make sure to wash it with soap and water first and rinse completely
Well I just boiled it to get it hot, the cover didn't go in with boiling water. I had about a cup, and I added the entire pack of dye, when I did that I put it on medium.... When I was all done, I picked it up with my fingers, so it wasn't that hot.

Here's how mine came out:

Should I just re-do it again, or do I need a new cover?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

and this is what happens when you don't follow directions... As i recall boiling the water was never part of the process, and well those look like streaks on your phone, did you buff it with a piece of cloth, or just took it out and let it dry?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!
Carrier: Sprint

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRico View Post
I had the whole die in there... Maybe not enough water is the reason though...

Well I just boiled it to get it hot, the cover didn't go in with boiling water. I had about a cup, and I added the entire pack of dye, when I did that I put it on medium.... When I was all done, I picked it up with my fingers, so it wasn't that hot.

Here's how mine came out:

Should I just re-do it again, or do I need a new cover?
Get the rit dye remover and start over.....can't hurt. If you don't like the way it turned out, your gonna need a new cover anyways.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint SERO 500

tracerit is becoming a great contributor

just did mine, it's a diamond cover though.

i heated a pot of drinking water until you can see steam rising,but not to the boiling point then left on at a little under medium heat.

dropped 2/3 of the dye into the pot and stirred 2 minutes

dropped my stylus and cover into the pot and stirred for only 5-7 minutes

i didn't want to keep it in for 15 minutes because i was worried about it warping but it came out great. nice smooth and even color!

buffed it with paper towels but it still showed some dye on my fingers but not anymore.

no complications at all
Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 AM
CyanogenMod

LilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation levelLilRico can't get a higher reputation level

Yeah I buffed it, but W/E though, I'll just get a new cover. When I say I boiled it, I meant small bubbles were coming out of it. It wasn't boiling to the point where it looked like hot magma, geese, cut a guy some slack for trying... It is not like it is your battery cover anyways. Thanks to those for the help VIA PM's.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evolicious

TreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Yeah I buffed it, but W/E though, I'll just get a new cover. When I say I boiled it, I meant small bubbles were coming out of it. It wasn't boiling to the point where it looked like hot magma, geese, cut a guy some slack for trying... It is not like it is your battery cover anyways. Thanks to those for the help VIA PM's.
One thing I did notice is that your inside cover turned a dark color. On all of mine the inside of the cover never held the dye like that and pretty much rinsed clean to the original gray plastic. Something is up with cover. How did the inside hold so much color? R u sure u didnt do anything else bcuz that is uncommon. i hope u DIDNT add the salt like the box said.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra
Carrier: Verizon

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP

FYI...
Dyed a Diamond batt cover and stylus, it came out great. Thanks.

Tried to bleach another with liquid Clorox bleach and nothing happened. Will try hair bleach next and I will let you all know how that came out.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
CyanogenMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyBeno View Post
One thing I did notice is that your inside cover turned a dark color. On all of mine the inside of the cover never held the dye like that and pretty much rinsed clean to the original gray plastic. Something is up with cover. How did the inside hold so much color? R u sure u didnt do anything else bcuz that is uncommon. i hope u DIDNT add the salt like the box said.
hehehe, just a little.... But nah, I think I left it in the pot for too long, next time I'm going to use less die because I think it was too much die....
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

TreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHawaii View Post
FYI...
Dyed a Diamond batt cover and stylus, it came out great. Thanks.

Tried to bleach another with liquid Clorox bleach and nothing happened. Will try hair bleach next and I will let you all know how that came out.
Rit dye is very strong. I bought the color remover by Rit and it took almost two hours to remove most of the color. And i mean most bcuz it doesnt come completely off. It will get almost silver with a tint of the former color. Its light enough to dye over but it does take a while. Just a heads up
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
hehehe, just a little.... But nah, I think I left it in the pot for too long, next time I'm going to use less die because I think it was too much die....
I think the salt is what did you in there. Dont add it next time and people please lets read first and follow the directions from people who successfully did this. I think XWEAPONX even said in his first post or so that he didnt add salt. Salt will crenate (dry out) stuff and make it look wrinkly like the ridges on the outside of ur cover.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro