PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro Slide out Keyboard Stopped working - wtf??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42760)

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 07:22 PM

Touch Pro Slide out Keyboard Stopped working - wtf???

Hey all. I've had my touch pro from Sprint for 2 days. The only tweaks I have added have been the weather tweak (add local city), TCMCP, and the audio tweak. Now my slideout keyboard does not respond at all? Any thoughts? Thanks folks.

codeman05 11-02-2008 07:25 PM

Re: Touch Pro Slide out Keyboard Stopped working - wtf???

soft reset? If no go, try a hard reset? Still doesn't work, time to return it

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 07:25 PM

Backup and Hard Reset...

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 07:28 PM

Also, my make call, back arrow, and hangup buttons stopped working??? Only the home button works?? What is going on???

codeman05 11-02-2008 07:29 PM

something is hosed, do the hardrest mentioned

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 07:30 PM

Earlier, my make call, back arrow, and hangup button, volume up/down stopped working. A hard reset fixed the problem, but looks like i need to do it again; wtf?

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 07:32 PM

Also, I've installed Remote Desktop for WM6.1; could that have caused my problem?

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 07:55 PM

Also, this all seems to have started after installing weather tweak??

DaPeeps 11-02-2008 08:11 PM

if a hard reset hasnt fixed it...then software that you installed aint the problem. Take it back and get it exchanged.

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 08:17 PM

Hard resets do fix the problem. I'm going to wait a few days whithout installing weather tweak to see if problem occurs. If not, its the weather tweak.

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 08:19 PM

Looks like some registry changed are effecting the device on the weather tweak. can you send me the cab so I can verify what registry files are being changed?

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 08:36 PM

mikee4fun, i do not know how to send you a file. The cab is used can be found at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=408918

The cab file name is WeatherDatabaseEditor 1.1 Modified.cab

I just noticed that it's a Diamond cab and not a Touch Pro file. I'm hoping this is the problem and not a hardware issue with my phone.

Thanks a ton guys.

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I only see a system.win32.dll file in there in which it is possible there are some shared dependencies with other items on our touch pro. Everything else is simply related to the manila and the weather database. Attached are all the files extracted from the cab. Try to manualy copy over all the files to the windows root leaving the weather database editor shortcut in your start menu or storage card. But if the device fails again there is no way to back out. Its hard reset time again. Really if you install the cab and then soft reset you should be back to normal.

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 10:57 PM

mikee4fun,

Also, to get the weather hack to work, .Net Framework 3.5 needs to be installed. The following is copied from xda. I used the attached cab file. Maybe the problem is with .Net 3.5?

"install, if not already done, Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 3.5.
The archive size is ~33MB... but the install is only ~3/4MB... you can find standalone .cab on the web. Thx to Fabliv to post it in this thread."

wphend00 11-02-2008 11:05 PM

bump to the top

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sinister (Post 492424)
mikee4fun,

Also, to get the weather hack to work, .Net Framework 3.5 needs to be installed. The following is copied from xda. I used the attached cab file. Maybe the problem is with .Net 3.5?

"install, if not already done, Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 3.5.
The archive size is ~33MB... but the install is only ~3/4MB... you can find standalone .cab on the web. Thx to Fabliv to post it in this thread."

I did not have any issues installing .net 3.5 framework. I did have one odd issue where I could not see the text I typed in PIE from the slide out keyboard. I have hard reset and flashed a couple of times with different page pools and no am not seeing any issue.

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 11:11 PM

mikee4fun,

That sounds just like the problem I was having. I also bet that while your keyboard was not working neither was many of your other buttons.

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sinister (Post 492458)
mikee4fun,

That sounds just like the problem I was having. I also bet that while your keyboard was not working neither was many of your other buttons.

I will re install .net framework again and post back the results. See me in the irc chat room.

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 11:27 PM

mikee,

Sorry that I have no idea where the irc chat room is? Also, my keyboard and buttons did not cease working right after weather tweak installation. Everything works fine right after install, then after an hour or so, buttons stop working. Maybe has to do with weather updating?? I have no idea. So far, its been 2 hours since last hard reset without reinstalling weather tweak and all is working fine.

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sinister (Post 492505)
mikee,

Sorry that I have no idea where the irc chat room is? Also, my keyboard and buttons did not cease working right after weather tweak installation. Everything works fine right after install, then after an hour or so, buttons stop working. Maybe has to do with weather updating?? I have no idea. So far, its been 2 hours since last hard reset without reinstalling weather tweak and all is working fine.

Well I have both deployed and I have had no issues as of yet. I will let you know tomorrow.

Mr_Sinister 11-02-2008 11:54 PM

thanks for the research mikee. Did you actually modify the weather database (add a city) and have the weather update the added city?

YANKEEFAN01 12-08-2008 01:57 PM

My touch pro keyboard stopped working suddenly too. I deleted an audiopara3 file i had on there, soft reset, and bam, all better. :)

fretief 12-11-2008 04:34 PM

I had the same problem. It was caused by Vibration Feedback.

Merq 04-07-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fretief (Post 572768)
I had the same problem. It was caused by Vibration Feedback.

What was the solution? I'd like to use my vibrate feature on calls and such. My keyboard isn't working either now. :(

Talon Pro 04-07-2009 07:13 PM

My SIP keyboard got hosed (nothing i did would bring back T9 or any other keyboard, i only got the tiny itty bitty qwerty light blue one) after installing the weather hack also. I reluctantly did a HR and wondered if i should install the hack, bit the bullet after doing a 70 minute backup, and all has been fine since... (shrug)

Dice 04-24-2009 05:16 PM

wow the same thing happened to me i recieved a txt nd out of no where the keybord just f**ked up on me this is my 6th tp in this same month

w.e i get a new phone on monday once again **** sprint sucks

kevm14 04-29-2009 11:12 PM

My keyboard has stopped working a few times. Each time I traced it down to Remote Desktop. Even though it wasn't running, uninstalling it fixed the keyboard even without a soft reset. But it didn't break the keyboard right away, either. Any explanations? Is there a version of Remote Desktop that doesn't do this? I connected several times today to show people and did some other stuff and didn't have a problem with my keyboard all day. Weird.

thacounty 04-29-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dice (Post 874463)
wow the same thing happened to me i recieved a txt nd out of no where the keybord just f**ked up on me this is my 6th tp in this same month

w.e i get a new phone on monday once again **** sprint sucks

I don't understand, you have had 6 bad phones and your service provider is replacing them for you, yet they suck? I mean you can gripe and complain, but this seems like a great thing! I could understand if you said HTC sucks or something, but not Sprint.

thacounty 04-29-2009 11:34 PM

Also this has been discussed here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57383

Usually it is a problem that seems like software, but ends up being hardware. Mine would work after a soft reset sometimes, but it turned out it was just working when it felt like it. Sprint replaced it.

kevm14 04-30-2009 10:04 AM

My problem is definitely software. When it is unresponsive, the keys still light up when I press them. Uninstalling Remote Desktop has fixed the problem twice and it has not happened any other time.

EDIT: I reinstalled it and told it to go to internal memory. We'll see if that helps.

HTCotta 04-30-2009 10:36 AM

^^I have to disagree with you that it's a software issue because this happened to me as well, when the keyboard stops working the lights still work and all the hardware keys below the screen on the front stop functioning, right? Soft reset fixes it...until it decides to stop working again. I hard reset, flashed different roms, clean ones, loaded ones, 6.1, 6.5 you see where I'm going with this...it came up in absolutely every single one. It is a defect of some phones, take it to a sprint store and they should replace it promptly. Haven't had any issues with the keyboard on my new one and it seems to be a better build anyway, buttons are more flush, etc.

Mutiny32 04-30-2009 11:12 AM

Wait, we have an IRC channel?

thacounty 04-30-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 886388)
^^I have to disagree with you that it's a software issue because this happened to me as well, when the keyboard stops working the lights still work and all the hardware keys below the screen on the front stop functioning, right? Soft reset fixes it...until it decides to stop working again. I hard reset, flashed different roms, clean ones, loaded ones, 6.1, 6.5 you see where I'm going with this...it came up in absolutely every single one. It is a defect of some phones, take it to a sprint store and they should replace it promptly. Haven't had any issues with the keyboard on my new one and it seems to be a better build anyway, buttons are more flush, etc.

I agree. Everything seems to work, but doesn't. Worse than that, soon all of it will stop pretending to work. I would take it to Sprint while its still under warranty.

NinjaMom 04-30-2009 11:19 AM

My keyboard was most definitely NOT a software issue. I hard reset the phone and still nothing. I am on my 2nd TP in 3 weeks. So far so good.

xitanul 04-30-2009 11:52 AM

yup, i'm having this same issue, and sometimes i'll try to type something and when it doesn't work i put the keyboard away and try to use the touch screen but then it acts funny and really slow, like its waiting for some keyboard buffer or something.

i'm def. gonna have to take mine to the sprint store, I haven't flashed any rom

kevm14 04-30-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTCotta (Post 886388)
^^I have to disagree with you that it's a software issue because this happened to me as well, when the keyboard stops working the lights still work and all the hardware keys below the screen on the front stop functioning, right? Soft reset fixes it...

Actually a soft reset didn't fix it if I recall. Only uninstalling Remote Desktop Mobile did. Then I re-installed it and a day later it happened again. I uninstalled it a second time and it fixed the problem (without even a soft reset) immediately. I just re-installed it a third time making sure to use internal memory and haven't had the problem yet, so we'll see. My phone is a 3/9/09 build and I've had it only a little over a month. I highly doubt the keyboard (or a connection) is going. Of course, I should also mention that it's been dropped like twice already ](*,)

ajac 04-30-2009 10:28 PM

mine stopped working again this is my 3rd touch pro hard resets do NOT fix the problem I've done it several times on all the touch pros's I've had uggg once agian waiting on an advance exchange and been about a month since I got this one. man touch pro 2 better fix all these problems.

AB33 05-01-2009 12:06 AM

It seems like everyone has been having TP keyboard issues now...Crazy!!! Looks like i will be taking mine into Sprint Soon.

p-slim 05-01-2009 01:59 AM

I hate to be a "me too" person, but my s*** just stopped working today also. I'm so angry because i don't want to go to the sprint store AGAIN!!!

AB33 05-02-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 886505)
My keyboard was most definitely NOT a software issue. I hard reset the phone and still nothing. I am on my 2nd TP in 3 weeks. So far so good.

I concur with the hardware problem not a software problem.