PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41736)

sprintmogulfan 10-27-2008 12:25 AM

GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro

Hello,

I got my Touch Pro yesterday and have to say that I love it!

I am experiencing a bit of a lag when using the Sprint Navigation however. When driving, it shows my location as approaching a street that I have already traveled past.

Anyway to bring it up to speed?

Thanks!

darkshadow46236 10-27-2008 12:55 AM

Re: GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro

On XDA there is a thread about this; seems the GSM version has had the same issue for awhile.

Here is a link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=427888

land2634 10-27-2008 12:59 AM

Yeah, experiencing this on my Diamond AND Touch Pro... keep hoping someone can come up with a solution, because otherwise its pretty useless as a navigation tool.

badutahboy 10-27-2008 01:28 AM

I think it's something in sprint's network... something which will hopefully be fixed.

Sprint Nav used to work perfectly on my mogul, but for the last 5-6 weeks, it's been laggy too...

ace741 10-27-2008 01:39 AM

Is this problem only with Sprint Nav?

land2634 10-27-2008 10:10 AM

Definitely not. There are many people experiencing the issue with TomTom, Garmin, etc.

Drewman247 10-27-2008 06:13 PM

there is a program called quick gps under the programs file. this may help.. I have no complaints..

browning 10-27-2008 08:00 PM

I am experiencing this with iGuidance as well. I will stick with bluetooth receiver until this issue is resolved. Pretty disappointing as I was pretty excited about having everything on one device. Hopefully it is rectified soon.

cmanbrazil 10-27-2008 08:09 PM

drewman, are you saying when you use quick gps you have no lag problem and when you don't you do?

freeza 10-27-2008 08:17 PM

Same here, GPS lag sucks.

land2634 10-27-2008 09:12 PM

Yeah even with QuickGPS I get a fast lock, but the lag is still there.

chedda_chez 10-27-2008 09:16 PM

no lag here but i do have a quesiton, what do you guys man by garmin, tomtom and all that? how are you using those on your phone? i only know how to use the sprint nav one.

-Chez

codyppc 10-27-2008 09:53 PM

Sprint nav on the blackberry is right on. I hope they find fix soon. It must be the gps chip itself. If the other apps are doing the same and telenav is working great on other devices, then it has to be the chip.

holo 10-27-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chedda_chez (Post 480014)
no lag here but i do have a quesiton, what do you guys man by garmin, tomtom and all that? how are you using those on your phone? i only know how to use the sprint nav one.

-Chez

They are 3rd party apps that you will have to install (and they are commercial). I absolutely love garmin.

chedda_chez 10-27-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo (Post 480105)
They are 3rd party apps that you will have to install (and they are commercial). I absolutely love garmin.

where can i find these apps?

i also love garmin, have a GPS device in my car and i love it nuvi 660.

-Chez

holo 10-27-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chedda_chez (Post 480109)
where can i find these apps?

i also love garmin, have a GPS device in my car and i love it nuvi 660.

-Chez

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...413#featureTab

problem is it is tied to a data card... you can not load the retail version on another card... tomtom is available from tomtom too, and I don't think it has these restrictions... there isn't a decent free turn by turn nav program.

elosogrande7076 10-28-2008 03:56 AM

Im not sure what everyone means by lag....i am using Iguidance and the first time i just had to use the auto detect and it found a lock in a few seconds.

sprintmogulfan 10-28-2008 09:16 AM

I loaded Iguidance 4.0 on my TP as well. The lag was terrible. I think I might have to use GPSgate with it like on the Mogul. Crap....was really hoping Sprint Nav would work well.

wildpig 10-28-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elosogrande7076 (Post 480699)
Im not sure what everyone means by lag....i am using Iguidance and the first time i just had to use the auto detect and it found a lock in a few seconds.

Lag in this case has nothing to do with how long it takes to get a lock. This has to do with the tp lags behind in reporting your actual position. Imagine you already drive past where you supposed to turn with the unit says you are not yet at the turn......

I definitely noticed this using igo 2006 and also beelinegps. I also used these two progs on my mogul before with no prob. Using beelinegps, i notice intermittent interruption of the track line, esp when i am going over 50mph. could it be the gps not refreshing fast enough and/or also intermittently losing track of the satellites? fix soon hopefully?

This is a real dealbreaker.... ;(

jhale83 10-28-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo (Post 480122)
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...413#featureTab

problem is it is tied to a data card... you can not load the retail version on another card... tomtom is available from tomtom too, and I don't think it has these restrictions... there isn't a decent free turn by turn nav program.

Garmin can be installed on another memory card. Takes some work but it's possible.

rawdikrik 10-28-2008 03:45 PM

ive used the quick GPS and it helps... But it still isnt perfect.

wildpig 10-29-2008 10:25 AM

anyone try to lower the baud rates as suggested in other forums and see if this improve?

saqer 10-29-2008 10:34 AM

someone with knowledge of qpst can possibly try to change gspone to gps standalone only so it doesn't use cell towers. perhaps that's a temporary fix for the lag?

wildpig 10-29-2008 10:54 AM

also, anyone else try this?

i need to get the Advanced configuration tool v3.3. touchexperience www is down

anyone got it somewhere they can upload to rapidshare?

scott_o 10-29-2008 11:43 AM

I was using the internal GPS with Microsoft Live Search, and my position on the map was pretty much spot on.

browning 10-30-2008 08:25 PM

Any fixes for this? Have tried with iGuidance and the lag is huge -- this is bad news.

land2634 10-30-2008 09:37 PM

Every solution I've seen does nothing to help it seems. Got my fingers crossed.

saqer 10-30-2008 09:38 PM

if it's possible can you turn the phone radio off and see if the lag is gone?

Drewman247 10-31-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanbrazil (Post 479859)
drewman, are you saying when you use quick gps you have no lag problem and when you don't you do?

I am a simple GPS user, I use google maps and live only. I am not trying to use my phone as a gps to sling to another device. I have no lag issue with my GPS whatsoever.

wildpig 11-01-2008 03:48 PM

http://rs427.rapidshare.com/files/15..._Tool_v3.3.cab

since touchexperience www is down....

jhale83 11-01-2008 05:15 PM

I went on a 2 hour trip this weekend to somewhere that had a lot of turns and different highways and I noticed the lag was quite bad with Garmin Mobile XT. It was driving me crazy. I tried the first steps on that XDA link (disable logging and delete log files) and it did absolutely nothing for me.

wrecks 11-01-2008 06:41 PM

Tired Inav4 and whoa it is unusable. GarminXT is better, but the GPS on this device is way laggy compared to my treo800.

Crossing my finger for a fix also.

Marty 11-02-2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpig (Post 482695)
also, anyone else try this?

i need to get the Advanced configuration tool v3.3. touchexperience www is down

anyone got it somewhere they can upload to rapidshare?

No need to get that tool, someone else made a cab and posted in later in the thread that will make the changes for you that are listed in that first post of the thead you linked to. Here is the link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=53

I installed it and GPS definitely seems more responsive/acccurate in my limited testing. Will try it out some more later today.

Lukas718 11-02-2008 08:57 AM

So far I've tried 2 gps apps - and used the side by side on two TPs

Graming XT mobile
igo 8

Garmin 3-4 sec. lag on distance
Igo 8 0.5 sec

seems that igo 8 is the way to go until some patch/fix is made

VW 11-02-2008 01:01 PM

So noone has tried GPS gate I take it

mikee4fun 11-02-2008 02:19 PM

Has anyone else noticed that agps is not enabled on the rom by default? I installed advanced config 3.3 and had to enable agps. I am also running tomtom 7.910 (9185) and have no lag at all.

browning 11-02-2008 06:41 PM

I'm running iGuidance 4 and am experiencing lag with TP GPS and my external bluetooth GPS. I had the external set to COM 5 and had serious delays. I switched to COM 8 and all seems good with the external now. I wish the onboard GPS worked well though -- makes it so much easier to have everything on one device.

kwiksilver 11-02-2008 06:45 PM

I'm running garmin mobile XT on my TP, and have a Garmin C550 standalone GPS and did a side by side comparison and they both spoke at the same time, and showed me going the same speed, approaching streets at the same time.
Phone is pretty much stock from bby so the problem must not be for everyone.

VW 11-02-2008 07:27 PM

I successfully ran iGuidance will little to no lag using GPSGate. The only problem is that GPSGate lives in the system tray and you cant see it due to TF3D, but you can get it to pop up again by runnig it.

The results are excellent however... Select WM GPS for input and an empty com port for output.

Good luck

TheRealHotshot 11-02-2008 07:40 PM

i took a trip out of town this weekend where i had to drive and the telenav was right on point!!! wonder why other ppl not working.