PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=41736)

Phreddo 11-02-2008 09:55 PM

Re: GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/do...n_the_tou.html
seems to be an issue known to htc

wrecks 11-03-2008 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukas718 (Post 491012)
So far I've tried 2 gps apps - and used the side by side on two TPs

Graming XT mobile
igo 8

Garmin 3-4 sec. lag on distance
Igo 8 0.5 sec

seems that igo 8 is the way to go until some patch/fix is made

Yep, just checked my buddies IGO8 (OnCourse Navigator 8) with HTCPT and it is pretty damm good. The voice navigation part is right on compared to Garmin XT. Video lags just a bit. I may have been awestucked though looking at the 3D buildings.

jhale83 11-03-2008 11:04 AM

I ran the cab that supposedly fixes the lag and it made absolutely no difference. I think I'm going to try to turn on aGPS and see if it helps at all.

wildpig 11-03-2008 11:32 AM

i have a quick question, somewhere i heard you can select to use the gps intermediate driver instead of the default com4. anyone knows how to do that? and if this works? thanks

VW 11-03-2008 11:43 AM

GPSGate fixes the problem with Iguidance, as I posted above as far as I am concerned although I am willing to be proven wrong. Its not particularly elegant but it does work. I find it difficult to believe that noone else on this 5 page thread has tried this, especially due to the fact that it was required on the Touch / Mogul's for the most part.

jhale83 11-03-2008 11:47 AM

I know this has been posted somewhere but what does GPSGate do? Is it free?

Marty 11-03-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhale83 (Post 493288)
I ran the cab that supposedly fixes the lag and it made absolutely no difference. I think I'm going to try to turn on aGPS and see if it helps at all.

I used the GPS some more this weekend and, in fact, even after applying the cab file, the lag was still definitely present. It seemed strange to me because after installing the cab file initially, the GPS definitely seemed more responsive/accurate but for whatever reason, seems its back to its old self again.

land2634 11-03-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW (Post 493356)
GPSGate fixes the problem with Iguidance, as I posted above as far as I am concerned although I am willing to be proven wrong. Its not particularly elegant but it does work. I find it difficult to believe that noone else on this 5 page thread has tried this, especially due to the fact that it was required on the Touch / Mogul's for the most part.

I used GPSGate for about the first week I had the Pro. It did not fix the issue for me and I also had several issues with the device with this installed. May have been coincidence, but it definitely didn't fix lag for me.

Scrotum 11-03-2008 02:47 PM

I am using TomTom with no problems as soon as I boot it up I am showing 8-10 satellites with absolutely no lag whatsoever.

VW 11-04-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by land2634 (Post 493694)
I used GPSGate for about the first week I had the Pro. It did not fix the issue for me and I also had several issues with the device with this installed. May have been coincidence, but it definitely didn't fix lag for me.

I assume you used WMGps for the input and a virtual com port for the output? I need to experiment more but it sure does seem fixed to me

kaiguy 11-04-2008 02:54 PM

Using the Sprint stock ROM, GPS seems great with iGo 8.3.1. Much better than my Diamond which I just swapped out, but I do notice the occasional "glitch" where the signal drops out for a moment then right back in. All in all, though, I'm happier with GPS on the Pro.

holo 11-04-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW (Post 493356)

heh, gpsgate wasn't 'required' on the mogul... every app that i use (garmin/gmaps/live search) prime themselves... people only really needed it for tomtom and some other small apps...

VW 11-04-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holo (Post 496246)
heh, gpsgate wasn't 'required' on the mogul... every app that i use (garmin/gmaps/live search) prime themselves... people only really needed it for tomtom and some other small apps...

TomTom and iGuidance needed GPSgate. I thought Garmin did as well

wildpig 11-05-2008 11:34 AM

gpsgate didn't fix my problem either ;(

ZELL22 11-05-2008 12:13 PM

Ok, maybe you guys can help me out. I am using Live Search, and Google Maps. I cannot get a GPS signal whatsoever. With Live Search I get an error that says " Sorry Could not communicate with GPS on port 0" and Google Maps just keeps searching for satellites and never finds any. I have used Adv. Config. and enabled Assisted GPS, but that did nothing. Can someone help me out, then i'll worry about the lagging signal.

saqer 11-05-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZELL22 (Post 498109)
Ok, maybe you guys can help me out. I am using Live Search, and Google Maps. I cannot get a GPS signal whatsoever. With Live Search I get an error that says " Sorry Could not communicate with GPS on port 0" and Google Maps just keeps searching for satellites and never finds any. I have used Adv. Config. and enabled Assisted GPS, but that did nothing. Can someone help me out, then i'll worry about the lagging signal.

For Live you need to go into settings and change GPS com port to intermediate.

ZELL22 11-05-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saqer (Post 498124)
For Live you need to go into settings and change GPS com port to intermediate.

Hey thanks for the quick response, but unfotunately that did not work. I tried your solution and did a soft reset and it didn't work. At least now it says "Waiting for GPS".

Please if you have any other suggestions please let me know. I am curious to see what the problem may be.

jhale83 11-05-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZELL22 (Post 498370)
Hey thanks for the quick response, but unfotunately that did not work. I tried your solution and did a soft reset and it didn't work. At least now it says "Waiting for GPS".

Please if you have any other suggestions please let me know. I am curious to see what the problem may be.

Are you indoors or outdoors? Sometimes the GPS will work indoors (works inside my house) but other times it doesn't (won't work inside my place of work). If you are indoors, try going outside.

ZELL22 11-05-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhale83 (Post 498396)
Are you indoors or outdoors? Sometimes the GPS will work indoors (works inside my house) but other times it doesn't (won't work inside my place of work). If you are indoors, try going outside.

Absoluetly weird, that worked. I say weird b/c I never had an issue getting a signal at work with my Mogul, but I went outside and it took like 5 mins, but it did finally work. Now I have to test the "Lagginess"

Thanks for the help,

jhale83 11-05-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZELL22 (Post 498428)
Absoluetly weird, that worked. I say weird b/c I never had an issue getting a signal at work with my Mogul, but I went outside and it took like 5 mins, but it did finally work. Now I have to test the "Lagginess"

Thanks for the help,

If you haven't run QuickGPS...do that from the Programs menu. Should speed up the time it takes to lock. As far as the lagginess goes...it's definitely there for me. Hopefully a fix is found soon. For me it's around 4 seconds.

rushco 11-12-2008 01:12 AM

Any fix yet for this lag? I hate it when it thinks I am back at the stop light when really I already p@ssed it a couple seconds ago. I still get where I am going but there will be a day I miss a turn and am late to something.

land2634 11-12-2008 01:14 AM

None of the solutions I've seen over on XDA seem to work for me. I keep hoping someone will come up with something as I've tried everything known so far.

VW 11-16-2008 12:11 PM

I am glad that some people have gotten the GPSGate solution to work like me. I think more people need to try it...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...te#post2899904

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...te#post2850727

vradi 11-19-2008 02:58 PM

I am using the Sprint Stock ROM
ROM Version 1.03.651.3
Radio Version 1.03.15F

The GPSGate suggestion did not work for me :(

I am using Iguidance 4 and I have about 100 feet and 1-2 seconds lag.
Initially I had a terrible lag of at least 5 sec and a bout 500 feet which made the GPS completely unusable.

What I did was to apply the “GPS Tweaks.cab” that is in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=439002
This improved the situation but as I said I still have about 1-2 sec lag.

After the CAB I tried the GPSGate program hopping that it will farther improve or eliminate the lag completely but there was no improvement at all.

I am suspecting that it might be more related to the ROM and Radio versions we run.

VW: Can you tell us what is your ROM and Radio version?

WARMACHN 11-19-2008 03:13 PM

stupid question but am to lazy to call sprint..
is sprint nav free or is there a charge?
if there is a charge can any one mention any free GPS apps..

jhale83 11-19-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARMACHN (Post 529637)
stupid question but am to lazy to call sprint..
is sprint nav free or is there a charge?
if there is a charge can any one mention any free GPS apps..

It's $9.95 per month. Only decent free GPS apps that I know of are LiveSearch (pre-installed on your phone) and Google Maps. There is also Y! Go from Yahoo! but I haven't used that one in forever.

VW 11-19-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vradi (Post 529597)
ROM Version 1.03.651.3
Radio Version 1.03.15F

My Rom and Radio are the same as yours. When you set up GPSGate I assumed you used the WMGps input and a new com port for output? I find all this very strange with everyone reporting different results. I also tried IGO8 and it works pretty well with barely any lag.

vradi 11-20-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW (Post 529798)
My Rom and Radio are the same as yours. When you set up GPSGate I assumed you used the WMGps input and a new com port for output? I find all this very strange with everyone reporting different results. I also tried IGO8 and it works pretty well with barely any lag.

Yep. For input I actually tried both ways WMGps and COM4, it made no difference.
For Output I had Virtual COM1.

On the Iguidance side I was listening to COM1 but I could still get data on the original COM4. Both had the same lag of about 2 sec.

cheeb 11-20-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhale83 (Post 529785)
It's $9.95 per month. Only decent free GPS apps that I know of are LiveSearch (pre-installed on your phone) and Google Maps. There is also Y! Go from Yahoo! but I haven't used that one in forever.

Um....I thought Sprint NAV was FREE if you have one of the data plans over $15 (or unlimited data etc...) I'm sure you know this as well...

sikclown 11-20-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeb (Post 531447)
Um....I thought Sprint NAV was FREE if you have one of the data plans over $15 (or unlimited data etc...) I'm sure you know this as well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushco (Post 513183)
Any fix yet for this lag? I hate it when it thinks I am back at the stop light when really I already p@ssed it a couple seconds ago. I still get where I am going but there will be a day I miss a turn and am late to something.

Sprint Nav comes with all the Simply Everything plans for free as well as the 25$ Data Premier Plan. otherwise it is 9.95 per month. My Sprint Nav was laggy as heck until I did a hard reset and then opened QuickGPS before I opened Sprint Nav. Now it is dead on and fast

jhale83 11-20-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikclown (Post 531502)
Sprint Nav comes with all the Simply Everything plans for free as well as the 25$ Data Premier Plan. otherwise it is 9.95 per month. My Sprint Nav was laggy as heck until I did a hard reset and then opened QuickGPS before I opened Sprint Nav. Now it is dead on and fast

I tried out Sprint Nav yesterday (long after a hard reset and using QuickGPS multiple times) and the lag was just as bad on it as it is on Garmin for me. About 3-4 seconds...which is ridiculous!

jourabchid 11-21-2008 06:36 PM

so there is still no fix for the lag issue? this is crazy, i guess people arent using gps as much as i though.

I hope they are working on a new radio to get this fixed soon, city driving is a straight *****, especially when im on travel and not used to the area...

have people been having the lag with external bt gps units?

ScrapMaker 12-01-2008 04:00 PM

I have the same lag... it is usually a block behind.. :(

bruceo 12-01-2008 04:04 PM

for the programs that require the generic gps driver vs the ones that accpet the nonstandard GPS that the HTC devices put out I just use franson GPS gate. By sending the signal through GPS gate and routing to a virtual com port and then setting the app like Iguidance to the virtual com port the lag is eliminated.

gorillaguzzler 12-01-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceo (Post 552883)
for the programs that require the generic gps driver vs the ones that accpet the nonstandard GPS that the HTC devices put out I just use franson GPS gate. By sending the signal through GPS gate and routing to a virtual com port and then setting the app like Iguidance to the virtual com port the lag is eliminated.

The worst thing about this is you have to buy a program that on my old touch I did not need. I hope Sprint or HTC come out with a fix for this soon. I do not want to have to buy an extra program (my cheap side coming out i guess)

vradi 12-01-2008 04:15 PM

Just an update on my case bellow:

After switching from Iguidance 4 to IGO8 there is no lag at all. :)
So the good news is that it seems that at least in my case there was no problem with the hardware and it is mostly a driver/software issue.
No I am using IGO8 without GPSGate and everything seems fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vradi (Post 529597)
ROM Version 1.03.651.3
Radio Version 1.03.15F

The GPSGate suggestion did not work for me :(

I am using Iguidance 4 and I have about 100 feet and 1-2 seconds lag.
Initially I had a terrible lag of at least 5 sec and a bout 500 feet which made the GPS completely unusable.

What I did was to apply the “GPS Tweaks.cab” that is in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=439002
This improved the situation but as I said I still have about 1-2 sec lag.

After the CAB I tried the GPSGate program hopping that it will farther improve or eliminate the lag completely but there was no improvement at all.

I am suspecting that it might be more related to the ROM and Radio versions we run.

gorillaguzzler 12-06-2008 06:57 PM

Has anyone ever found any good solution to the gps lag? I hate having my GPs show me I am behind the corner I just turned at.

wildpig 12-06-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceo (Post 552883)

GPSgate does not fix my problem..... lagging still there. i use igo 6 and beelinegps. no help..

germie 12-15-2008 12:50 AM

GPS registry settings

Has anyone see this yet? I haven't had any chance to dink with the settings yet, but it gives a lot of insight to what the settings do.

GPS Intermediate Driver Registry Settings
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb202035.aspx

sndtubes 12-15-2008 01:56 AM

GPS Gate doesn't help mine, either. However, I do notice that if I assume the TIP of the arrow on TomTom is my location, it's pretty accurate. However it is much better if I use a bluetooth GPS instead. I did use the GPS fix file that you can find at XDA-Developers. You guys might want to try that.