PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Lag with Sprint Nav on Touch Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabru2001 View Post
iguidance VGA works flawlessly on my girls diamond, but on my TP the lag is unbearable. I thought the diamond and TP has the same GPS chip? if that is true them someone needs to look at the diamonds GPS drivers and get some porting done.
I actually tried using a diamond driver that was supplied to me and it was really buggy on the TP, lock ups and major software lag...I had to remove it.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
I actually tried using a diamond driver that was supplied to me and it was really buggy on the TP, lock ups and major software lag...I had to remove it.
Then we should suspect that the hardware is different? That is disappointing. The phone that costs more has cheaper hardware that doesn't work. WTG HTC, greedy conniving bastards.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabru2001 View Post
Then we should suspect that the hardware is different? That is disappointing. The phone that costs more has cheaper hardware that doesn't work. WTG HTC, greedy conniving bastards.
This is news?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2

mike99 is just getting started

Well,

I did more experimenting.

Using google maps, I set the GPS management to manual under options. I set COM4 port and tried all baud rates. As the rate went up, the lag decreased. At the rate of 0 (last option down the list), the lag was minimal at 65mph using bridges as points of reference.

Then I went back to TeleNav, and there was no difference. Lag was as bad as before. I opened google maps again, and again the lag was minimal, position detection was more accurate, and my seetings have not changed (still was on manual).

I was wandering if those setting changes applied to google maps only and if there was a way to make them apply to all GPS based programs???

I did notice that downloaded data soared from 100-200 kb at 4800 baud rate to 2000kb at 0.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

I have been reading about this issue before I got my TP and was concerned, however I havent noticed any lag using Mapquest Navigaot 5, could it be the protocol used to pull data is different....mmmm, no clue, but this ihst works fine.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc TP2

mike99 is just getting started

So I have been chatting with HTC CS. Here is our conversation.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry about your Sprint Touch Pro.

We understand it is important for your device to function as expected. If redownloading the signal did not resolve the GPS lag, then you would need to contact Sprint for further assistance. HTC cannot offer extensive troubleshooting for the carrier's GPS application.

As for the speaker issue, if the volume is turned up all the way, then we cannot make it go any louder. This device has been designed around the carrier's specifications. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause you.

I hope we have answered your question in detail. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

HTC Technical Support
http://www.america.htc.com
http://www.htcwiki.com

Hello William, Thank you so much for a very prompt reply. I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, the QuickGPS trick did not work. I tried it with both devices, as recommended, prior to the first use of GPS based program, and then tried to update it every day. Still no luck. The GPS fix is very quick, within several seconds, with multiple satellites, but the significant lag is still there. And what about the speakerphone issue?Again, thank you very much for your help.Sincerely,--- On Fri, 1/23/09, William C <info@htc.com> wrote:From: William C <info@htc.com>Subject: Re: GPS Lag <<#4428-58761#>>To: Date: Friday, January 23, 2009, 3:53 PM#yiv1854970603 p {margin-bottom:0;margin-top:0;}Hello Vlad, Thank you for your inquiry regarding the GPS lag and speaker volume on your HTC Touch Pro device from Sprint. We understand that it is important you receive all the information to best utilize your device. We recommend you open the QuickGPS program to download ephemeris data (current satellite position and timing information) to your device. This data is needed to determine the GPS position of your current location. To open QuickGPS, tap Start > Programs > QuickGPS and tap "Download" on the QuickGPS screen. You will initially see onscreen the Valid time for the downloaded data. This will continue to update until the time runs out. To speed up GPS positioning, download the latest ephemeris data when the validity of the data expires. You can locate further information regarding QuickGPS in your device's User Manual. The HTC Technical Support Center is unable to hear and compare the volume of your speakerphone to that of other HTC Touch Pro devices. We respectfully recommend you contact your carrier for such a comparison. I hope we have answered your question in detail, Vlad. Feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions. HTC Technical Support http://www.america.htc.com http://www.htcwiki.com --- Original Message ---From: <ContactUs@htc.com>Received: 1/23/09 3:01:04 PM ESTTo: <info@htc.com>Subject: ContactUs NoticeDear,<Please note that the above message was sent from an automatic e-mail account. Please do not reply to this email directly.>We have received a new question by end user from www.htc.com at [ 2009/01/24 03:58:40 ] with the following details. Hello, I am in the US on Sprint network. I have a Touch Pro phone with two persistent problems. 1. There is a marked lag using GPS. I use Live search, google maps, and Sprint TeleNav. All of them suffer from the same problem: the position of my car on the map lags 200-250 feet behind my actual real time position. This makes navigation software almost unusable. I talked to Sprint representatives and was told this is not the software issue. I used same applications on other phones (Blackberry curve and HTC Mogul from Sprint) and never experienced these problems. 2. The speakerphone volume is very low at max settins, and cannot be used for conversations except in the completely noise-free environment. I did try both soft and hard resets, and even exchanged my phone. My latest build date is 12/24/08. However, both models have similar problems, and this is very frustrating. Touch Pro is an expensive high-end phone, and these two functions are very important to me. Is there anything you can suggest?Sincerely, Maybe more people should complain, and they actually realize that they cannot get away with this ***p.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have tried every trick that has been talked about and I have not been able to improve the lag on my phone no matter what I do. this is the last unresolved issue I have on my phone (well right now anyway) and it is driving me crazy. I wish some smart person out there would figure it out.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike99 View Post
Well,

I did more experimenting.

Using google maps, I set the GPS management to manual under options. I set COM4 port and tried all baud rates. As the rate went up, the lag decreased. At the rate of 0 (last option down the list), the lag was minimal at 65mph using bridges as points of reference.

Then I went back to TeleNav, and there was no difference. Lag was as bad as before. I opened google maps again, and again the lag was minimal, position detection was more accurate, and my seetings have not changed (still was on manual).

I was wandering if those setting changes applied to google maps only and if there was a way to make them apply to all GPS based programs???

I did notice that downloaded data soared from 100-200 kb at 4800 baud rate to 2000kb at 0.

Any comments or thoughts?

Thanks
Google maps is the only software i have used that lets you manually set the com AND set baud. Live Search allows manual com setting. I have found that for me anyway, both apps seem to work better when manually set to com 4. Might just be my imagination though. As for different baud rates and the GPS lag with google maps, I will have to look into this.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro