PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: If offered a replacement for the TP would you accept a....
Blackberry 0 0%
Touch Pro 2 36 78.26%
Palm Pre 7 15.22%
Anything Else 2 4.35%
Money Back 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Tibman is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Offered the TP2 or the Palm Pre, I chose....

I have really been disappointed with the TP out of the box. Sorry developers, but even the custom roms did not impress me.

When I heard about sprint offering a replacement with warranty I was ecstatic!!
There are two corporate sprint repair centers within 25 miles of me and both of them said all they will do for me is replace my tp with another tp, not he tp2.
After much searching however, I found that a third repair center existed near me, but it was franchise. They were amazing, they did not even plug in my tp to testing equipment. They asked me why I was there today, I explained the problems I was having with my tp and they said we can offer you a TP2, Blackberry, or a Palm Pre as a replacement. Minutes later he put in the order and it will be here on tuesday. No hassle, no 21 questions, franchise stores are MUCH more friendly than any experience I have EVER had with a corporate sprint store.

I chose the Palm Pre after doing much research. The only con I have ever heard about the Pre is that at some times it is "a bit sluggish". Thats it?! That is all people can say after nearly a year of availability! Whenever anyone asks me about my TP I tell them "when it works, it works. When I need it, it doesn't".

I would like to know in a Poll, if you were offered a replacement for the TP what would you accept?

P.s. I have owned the TP for 14 looooooooonnnngg months.

"Yesterday it worked, Today it does not, a Hard Reset is in your Future"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk4C6a3bmFs&NR=1 <----- worth the 2.23 min

Last edited by Tibman; 01-18-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Offered the TP2 or the Palm Pre, I chose....

When you vote, if you feel like it, leave a comment of why you chose what you did.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
@Febby or @iFebby
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: T-Mobile

CaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on repCaliBoyPhillip is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to CaliBoyPhillip Send a message via Skype™ to CaliBoyPhillip

I left a vote but oh well I saw you're post so I though I'd just post... I would go with the TP2 since I've bought countless windows mobile applications so i plan on putting good use to them. The TP2 is way better than the TP! trust me. I had lost my TP did a insurance claim and now i have TP2... All i can say is that it truly feels more solid, more respond on screen, bigger screen battery seems to last longer. I also don't really dig the other OS out there at the moment till better improvements come out/devices. Hit thanks if you want
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

internetaffairs is becoming a great contributor

I chose the Pre, but I have sero. so i had to choose the TP2
Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work

I'd stick w the WM primarily because it means I don't have to upgrade to one of the more expensive plans. I'm on an old legacy plan and upgrading to a smartphone other then WM would cost me an additional $25/mo (my current plan w unlimited data is only $45/mo).

I like the pre but I use my TP as my GPS... I travel to the middle of no-where on occasion so I need nav software w on-device maps. Last I heard there wasn't any for the pre.

I also like the full qwerty on the TP better than the pre and I think I'd miss the VGA screen. I've found a ROM I like that is stable, responsive and I've got it tweaked to the point that there's nothing I feel I'm lacking from a software standpoint.

I am jealous of two aspects of the pre's hardware... the processor and the capacitive touchscreen. Surfing the web on the TP is just too slow yet.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

TP2 dude, a wimo dude stays with winmo device. TP2 is the greatest device running right now. I had my TP for over a year, and I stil have it running great.
Winmo is for a user willing to spend sometime with it, nurture it and have fun with it, kind o like in a relationshiop, nomsayin....cant just run because of one mishappen...
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkel View Post
I'd stick w the WM primarily because it means I don't have to upgrade to one of the more expensive plans. I'm on an old legacy plan and upgrading to a smartphone other then WM would cost me an additional $25/mo (my current plan w unlimited data is only $45/mo).

I like the pre but I use my TP as my GPS... I travel to the middle of no-where on occasion so I need nav software w on-device maps. Last I heard there wasn't any for the pre.

I also like the full qwerty on the TP better than the pre and I think I'd miss the VGA screen. I've found a ROM I like that is stable, responsive and I've got it tweaked to the point that there's nothing I feel I'm lacking from a software standpoint.

I am jealous of two aspects of the pre's hardware... the processor and the capacitive touchscreen. Surfing the web on the TP is just too slow yet.
About the GPS, I have talked to an owner of the Pre who was previously an owner of the Tp. He told me the gps program preformed much better than the tp. I have never been able to use telenav on my tp, it has entirely too much lag, if I followed it turn by turn, im a mile past my exit when it says take this exit, or it tries to send me into a lake.

I did some research and the pre actually comes with telenav and google maps pre loaded, on the pre

About the hardware keyboard, your right, it is easier to use on the Tp or tp2. I just cannot stand how every time I click on a search bar or input field on any web browser on the tp, regardless if the keyboard is open or not, a retarded on screen keyboard pops up and says "DunDADun!!!"
-The pre does not even have an on screen keyboard, some see hardware input only as a bad thing, I see it as perfect because to use the keyboard you do not have to change orientation.

I am not sure about the plan, I pay $92 a month for two lines, unlimited data, 450 min, 600 texts. I use to have unlimited everything, but I looked at my actual usage and decided to save $30 a month rather than waste it.

p.s. wow, out of 16 people, we have no blackberry fans.

Last edited by Tibman; 01-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

The GPS lag - not present on my TP, though it is there on my TP2. For me to leave WM means that it has to have complete compatibility with Microsoft Excel and Word, and have an outstanding database (HanDBase) and email application. Those are the requirements. The games hold little interest for me.

The TP2 has been an excellent device for me in almost every way. I had problems with FlexMail, as the device was over heating. I sent a note to the developer about the situation and deleted the application. When asked to do some testing, I advised the application was gone and went no further with it. Chances are it is a software problem, no hardware; I just did not want to put further time into it.

Resets? None. Slow? No. It just works.

The Palm Pre is interesting, but the cloud aspect disturbs me a bit. Relying on a remote site for data is scary. I have tried 2 cloud based applications and when I need the data and I am in an area with no cell coverage, well...life is not good. In addition, we have heard those scare stories about site down time.

The keyboard is also important. As mentioned above, there is no on-screen keyboard, but frankly, we get use to things like that.

The LG Moment looks interesting, but it is still not there software wise. Bunches of applications are fine, but real work applications are a necessity for a few of us.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibman View Post
About the GPS, I have talked to an owner of the Pre who was previously an owner of the Tp. He told me the gps program preformed much better than the tp. I have never been able to use telenav on my tp, it has entirely too much lag, if I followed it turn by turn, im a mile past my exit when it says take this exit, or it tries to send me into a lake.

I did some research and the pre actually comes with telenav and google maps pre loaded, on the pre

About the hardware keyboard, your right, it is easier to use on the Tp or tp2. I just cannot stand how every time I click on a search bar or input field on any web browser on the tp, regardless if the keyboard is open or not, a retarded on screen keyboard pops up and says "DunDADun!!!"
-The pre does not even have an on screen keyboard, some see hardware input only as a bad thing, I see it as perfect because to use the keyboard you do not have to change orientation.

I am not sure about the plan, I pay $92 a month for two lines, unlimited data, 450 min, 600 texts. I use to have unlimited everything, but I looked at my actual usage and decided to save $30 a month rather than waste it.

p.s. wow, out of 16 people, we have no blackberry fans.
The telenav and google maps require a data connection... where I travel I don't have 3G. I need nav software w maps that are loaded on the device like garmin, tomtom, etc..

I have no problem w the pre not having a software keyboard... I just don't like the small size of the keys on that slide out keyboard.

I stopped in and talked to sprint today... turns out the TP2 requires the newer data plans just like the pre, blackberries and other smartphones. I may have to go buy a diamond in case my TP dies. Sounds like I can keep my ultra-cheap legacy plan with that phone.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post
The GPS lag - not present on my TP, though it is there on my TP2. For me to leave WM means that it has to have complete compatibility with Microsoft Excel and Word, and have an outstanding database (HanDBase) and email application. Those are the requirements. The games hold little interest for me.

The TP2 has been an excellent device for me in almost every way. I had problems with FlexMail, as the device was over heating. I sent a note to the developer about the situation and deleted the application. When asked to do some testing, I advised the application was gone and went no further with it. Chances are it is a software problem, no hardware; I just did not want to put further time into it.

Resets? None. Slow? No. It just works.

The Palm Pre is interesting, but the cloud aspect disturbs me a bit. Relying on a remote site for data is scary. I have tried 2 cloud based applications and when I need the data and I am in an area with no cell coverage, well...life is not good. In addition, we have heard those scare stories about site down time.

The keyboard is also important. As mentioned above, there is no on-screen keyboard, but frankly, we get use to things like that.

The LG Moment looks interesting, but it is still not there software wise. Bunches of applications are fine, but real work applications are a necessity for a few of us.
GPS - you must be in a 100% coverage area to never have lag, I am guessing east coast. I am in Washington state where if you are driving and talking on blue-tooth and drive from one side of the city to the other, you are just about guaranteed to drop a call.

Phone - you must be the exception because there are floods of posts about people with lagging phones. The tech at my local repair center even said to me, "you can expect to have to hard reset your device at least every three months to keep it working properly". No joke

Word, excell, powerpoint on the pre - Documents To Go 11 here is the link : http://download.cnet.com/Documents-T...html?tag=mncol

Keyboard/cloud - I agree, the keyboard is smaller than the TP and It is going to take some getting use to. I dont know about the Cloud service, I guess I will update this post when I get my pre and use it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
palm pre, replacement, touch pro, touch pro 2