PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best GPS Software for TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99193)

japper88 11-29-2009 04:43 PM

Re: Best GPS Software for TP2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper786 (Post 1371579)
Uhh.. GarminXT has TTS

It does? News to me, I think TTS means reading of street names (not just directions). I have GarminXT and it doesn't say street names out loud, is there a newer update that gets that working that I missed? or an option to turn that on?

jsjaybone 11-29-2009 04:44 PM

Guys this has been said before so I'm not taking credit but tomtom works great with gpsgate installed. Also there is a bt fix cab for tomtom too. So as long as you run gpsgate there will be no lag at all. Also gpsgate works great with igo too.

japper88 11-29-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsjaybone (Post 1371589)
Guys this has been said before so I'm not taking credit but tomtom works great with gpsgate installed. Also there is a bt fix cab for tomtom too. So as long as you run gpsgate there will be no lag at all. Also gpsgate works great with igo too.

What is gpsgate and is it free?

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371571)
I haven't had stock Sprint rom in a month, but I'm guessing it should still be in the settings menu (go to the settings tab in touchflo3d then to go to all settings (bottom soft key), then there should be an option "aGPS settings" and then check the box to enable it).

aGPS (aka assisted gps) basically uses cellular signals to assist the GPS to find satellite signals faster. Another good thing to run is quickGPS before you turn on your GPS program (this will download the latest GPS satellite locations to help your GPS get a satellite lock faster).

ALSO: I love GarminXT because included in the price tag is access to traffic updates (saves me because there is constant construction where I live) and up-to-date points of interest via the internet from your cell phone as well as other cool stuff (it also tells me where all the gas stations are in my area and the current price of gas there). A lot of other GPS programs charge extra to get stuff like that.

Hmm.. I looked all through the settings and I didnt see it. Any other suggestions?

jmorton10 11-29-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371587)
. I have GarminXT and it doesn't say street names out loud

no, it doesn't but that is not really a necessary feature IMHO

krusty46 11-29-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsjaybone (Post 1371589)

It did not help me. I think I tried just about every "fix" out there and I still got incredible lag. Maybe the combination of software on my TP2.

japper88 11-29-2009 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371602)
Hmm.. I looked all through the settings and I didnt see it. Any other suggestions?

I think you might need to run the attached cab. That should active agps for you, so you can see it in your settings. (It's just a registry tweak, I got it from this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1090289)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1371616)
no, it doesn't but that is not really a necessary feature IMHO

Haha, I agree. But my brother's car's gps does say the street names out loud which is really nice when you're driving in a city you don't know. But for highway driving it's not a big deal.

rdcrds 11-29-2009 06:32 PM

I use gpsgate i have not gone on a trip but tuesday ill try it out when i go on a 45 mile ride.Gpsgate seemed to help some.

i mean i go down the street and it says take the next left or right well before i need to so that is all i need for my tom tom 7.

jmorton10 11-29-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371701)
my brother's car's gps does say the street names out loud which is really nice when you're driving in a city you don't know. But for highway driving it's not a big deal.

I have NAV units that both do & don't have TTS.

When I didn't have it, I wanted it of course.

Now that I have it both ways, I really could care less about TTS (& GarminXT does NOT have TTS)

~John

dunebuggydude11 11-29-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371601)
What is gpsgate and is it free?

no, gpsgate is not free, but it has a free trial so you can see if it works for you. i bought it and it makes gps on the TP2 much more accurate (no lag)