PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best GPS Software for TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99193)

WisdomWolfX 11-29-2009 04:03 PM

Re: Best GPS Software for TP2

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawst95 (Post 1371452)
Do any of you have sprint? Are these 3rd party apps better than Sprint Navigator?

In most cases, yes. There is no need for data so it'll work even if you travel to BFE and there is no monthly fee.

oldgarfield 11-29-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawst95 (Post 1371452)
Do any of you have sprint? Are these 3rd party apps better than Sprint Navigator?

They are better because they have offline maps. So even no cell signal, you can still use them for navigation.

xenokira 11-29-2009 04:12 PM

I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I really prefer it over Sprint Nav. I have never had any issues using Garmin (minus the GPS lag present on the TP2 for any GPS app)

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:15 PM

I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I also use Google Maps, but primarily I use Mobile XT. I am thinking about trying out iGo8, but I got to find info on how to get it going :)

IS there any way to eliminate the GPS lag from the TP2? It only updates about every 100 feet or so.

japper88 11-29-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371505)
I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I also use Google Maps, but primarily I use Mobile XT. I am thinking about trying out iGo8, but I got to find info on how to get it going :)

IS there any way to eliminate the GPS lag from the TP2? It only updates about every 100 feet or so.

I turned on aGPS, that helped with the lag a bit.

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371520)
I turned on aGPS, that helped with the lag a bit.

Could you give a link or more info on how to get aGPS on the Stock Sprint rom? Thanks!

krusty46 11-29-2009 04:23 PM

I finally gave up on TomTom yesterday when CoPilot started their $19.99 sale that ends Monday (11/30) night.
Haven't been really able to give CoPilot a good test so far, but I was happy going around the block. The $19.99 price doesn't hurt either as long as it works (lag free).

japper88 11-29-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371527)
Could you give a link or more info on how to get aGPS on the Stock Sprint rom? Thanks!

I haven't had stock Sprint rom in a month, but I'm guessing it should still be in the settings menu (go to the settings tab in touchflo3d then to go to all settings (bottom soft key), then there should be an option "aGPS settings" and then check the box to enable it).

aGPS (aka assisted gps) basically uses cellular signals to assist the GPS to find satellite signals faster. Another good thing to run is quickGPS before you turn on your GPS program (this will download the latest GPS satellite locations to help your GPS get a satellite lock faster).

ALSO: I love GarminXT because included in the price tag is access to traffic updates (saves me because there is constant construction where I live) and up-to-date points of interest via the internet from your cell phone as well as other cool stuff (it also tells me where all the gas stations are in my area and the current price of gas there). A lot of other GPS programs charge extra to get stuff like that.

Big Calhoun 11-29-2009 04:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) 480x800; XV6875; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

I've been using TT7 with my Emtac puck. Not the ideal solution since the TP2 has GPS but I don't have any real issues with lag...a very manageable 1.5 seconds or so. Since I have a PND for my personal vehicle, using an external puck for work hasn't been an issue...unless someone borrows my truck (grrrrrrrrr!).

Viper786 11-29-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgarfield (Post 1371366)
Garmin Mobile XT is really nice especially with Google Local Search.
However no TTS is a big con to me.

Uhh.. GarminXT has TTS