PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Best GPS Software for TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99193)

Laos101 11-29-2009 03:13 PM

Best GPS Software for TP2

Hey Everyone,

Im going nuts atm, I've been using Igo8 for my GPS needs up until recently (The TTS stopped working as of MR's latest ROM) and I've been wondering,

Does TomTom work yet? Have they found a fix?

If not, whats the GPS software you all use?

dunebuggydude11 11-29-2009 03:19 PM

Re: Best GPS Software for TP2

tomtom works, but it has a lag in GPS of about 10 seconds. i'm currently using Iguidance 2009 and it works great (until i can get tomtom running perfect)

oldgarfield 11-29-2009 03:20 PM

I am using iGuidance. TTS stopped working after latest MR rom upgrade. Is there a fix for this?

jmorton10 11-29-2009 03:21 PM

GarminXT

japper88 11-29-2009 03:25 PM

GarminXT, absolutely zero issues on stock Sprint rom and all the versions of EnergyRom I have tried.

CA3SAR 11-29-2009 03:26 PM

im runing garmin and igo8 on MightRom. I love me some igo8.

oldgarfield 11-29-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1371354)
GarminXT

Garmin Mobile XT is really nice especially with Google Local Search.
However no TTS is a big con to me.

blackte4 11-29-2009 03:49 PM

I was using Destinator 8 on my TP1 and now i have a TP2 the screen looks crazy.... Do they have a fix for this? Im running Mighty ROM now.... Thanks mighty for a great rom

WisdomWolfX 11-29-2009 03:54 PM

Another vote for iguidance. I've been using it since version 2 and it works almost flawlessly.

mawst95 11-29-2009 04:01 PM

Do any of you have sprint? Are these 3rd party apps better than Sprint Navigator?

WisdomWolfX 11-29-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawst95 (Post 1371452)
Do any of you have sprint? Are these 3rd party apps better than Sprint Navigator?

In most cases, yes. There is no need for data so it'll work even if you travel to BFE and there is no monthly fee.

oldgarfield 11-29-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawst95 (Post 1371452)

They are better because they have offline maps. So even no cell signal, you can still use them for navigation.

xenokira 11-29-2009 04:12 PM

I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I really prefer it over Sprint Nav. I have never had any issues using Garmin (minus the GPS lag present on the TP2 for any GPS app)

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:15 PM

I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I also use Google Maps, but primarily I use Mobile XT. I am thinking about trying out iGo8, but I got to find info on how to get it going :)

IS there any way to eliminate the GPS lag from the TP2? It only updates about every 100 feet or so.

japper88 11-29-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371505)
I also use Garmin Mobile XT. I also use Google Maps, but primarily I use Mobile XT. I am thinking about trying out iGo8, but I got to find info on how to get it going :)

IS there any way to eliminate the GPS lag from the TP2? It only updates about every 100 feet or so.

I turned on aGPS, that helped with the lag a bit.

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371520)
I turned on aGPS, that helped with the lag a bit.

Could you give a link or more info on how to get aGPS on the Stock Sprint rom? Thanks!

krusty46 11-29-2009 04:23 PM

I finally gave up on TomTom yesterday when CoPilot started their $19.99 sale that ends Monday (11/30) night.
Haven't been really able to give CoPilot a good test so far, but I was happy going around the block. The $19.99 price doesn't hurt either as long as it works (lag free).

japper88 11-29-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371527)
Could you give a link or more info on how to get aGPS on the Stock Sprint rom? Thanks!

I haven't had stock Sprint rom in a month, but I'm guessing it should still be in the settings menu (go to the settings tab in touchflo3d then to go to all settings (bottom soft key), then there should be an option "aGPS settings" and then check the box to enable it).

aGPS (aka assisted gps) basically uses cellular signals to assist the GPS to find satellite signals faster. Another good thing to run is quickGPS before you turn on your GPS program (this will download the latest GPS satellite locations to help your GPS get a satellite lock faster).

ALSO: I love GarminXT because included in the price tag is access to traffic updates (saves me because there is constant construction where I live) and up-to-date points of interest via the internet from your cell phone as well as other cool stuff (it also tells me where all the gas stations are in my area and the current price of gas there). A lot of other GPS programs charge extra to get stuff like that.

Big Calhoun 11-29-2009 04:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) 480x800; XV6875; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

I've been using TT7 with my Emtac puck. Not the ideal solution since the TP2 has GPS but I don't have any real issues with lag...a very manageable 1.5 seconds or so. Since I have a PND for my personal vehicle, using an external puck for work hasn't been an issue...unless someone borrows my truck (grrrrrrrrr!).

Viper786 11-29-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgarfield (Post 1371366)
Garmin Mobile XT is really nice especially with Google Local Search.
However no TTS is a big con to me.

Uhh.. GarminXT has TTS

japper88 11-29-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper786 (Post 1371579)
Uhh.. GarminXT has TTS

It does? News to me, I think TTS means reading of street names (not just directions). I have GarminXT and it doesn't say street names out loud, is there a newer update that gets that working that I missed? or an option to turn that on?

jsjaybone 11-29-2009 04:44 PM

Guys this has been said before so I'm not taking credit but tomtom works great with gpsgate installed. Also there is a bt fix cab for tomtom too. So as long as you run gpsgate there will be no lag at all. Also gpsgate works great with igo too.

japper88 11-29-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsjaybone (Post 1371589)
Guys this has been said before so I'm not taking credit but tomtom works great with gpsgate installed. Also there is a bt fix cab for tomtom too. So as long as you run gpsgate there will be no lag at all. Also gpsgate works great with igo too.

What is gpsgate and is it free?

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371571)
I haven't had stock Sprint rom in a month, but I'm guessing it should still be in the settings menu (go to the settings tab in touchflo3d then to go to all settings (bottom soft key), then there should be an option "aGPS settings" and then check the box to enable it).

aGPS (aka assisted gps) basically uses cellular signals to assist the GPS to find satellite signals faster. Another good thing to run is quickGPS before you turn on your GPS program (this will download the latest GPS satellite locations to help your GPS get a satellite lock faster).

ALSO: I love GarminXT because included in the price tag is access to traffic updates (saves me because there is constant construction where I live) and up-to-date points of interest via the internet from your cell phone as well as other cool stuff (it also tells me where all the gas stations are in my area and the current price of gas there). A lot of other GPS programs charge extra to get stuff like that.

Hmm.. I looked all through the settings and I didnt see it. Any other suggestions?

jmorton10 11-29-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371587)
. I have GarminXT and it doesn't say street names out loud

no, it doesn't but that is not really a necessary feature IMHO

krusty46 11-29-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsjaybone (Post 1371589)

It did not help me. I think I tried just about every "fix" out there and I still got incredible lag. Maybe the combination of software on my TP2.

japper88 11-29-2009 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1371602)
Hmm.. I looked all through the settings and I didnt see it. Any other suggestions?

I think you might need to run the attached cab. That should active agps for you, so you can see it in your settings. (It's just a registry tweak, I got it from this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1090289)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1371616)
no, it doesn't but that is not really a necessary feature IMHO

Haha, I agree. But my brother's car's gps does say the street names out loud which is really nice when you're driving in a city you don't know. But for highway driving it's not a big deal.

rdcrds 11-29-2009 06:32 PM

I use gpsgate i have not gone on a trip but tuesday ill try it out when i go on a 45 mile ride.Gpsgate seemed to help some.

i mean i go down the street and it says take the next left or right well before i need to so that is all i need for my tom tom 7.

jmorton10 11-29-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371701)
my brother's car's gps does say the street names out loud which is really nice when you're driving in a city you don't know. But for highway driving it's not a big deal.

I have NAV units that both do & don't have TTS.

When I didn't have it, I wanted it of course.

Now that I have it both ways, I really could care less about TTS (& GarminXT does NOT have TTS)

~John

dunebuggydude11 11-29-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371601)
What is gpsgate and is it free?

no, gpsgate is not free, but it has a free trial so you can see if it works for you. i bought it and it makes gps on the TP2 much more accurate (no lag)

jmorton10 11-29-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japper88 (Post 1371587)
It does? News to me, I think TTS means reading of street names (not just directions). I have GarminXT and it doesn't say street names out loud, is there a newer update that gets that working that I missed? or an option to turn that on?

I have the latest GarminXT, it does not have TTS (text to speech).

~John

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 07:11 PM

I am not really concerned with the TP2's GPS lag when driving, its when walking it drives me nuts! I really like Geocaching, and I use a few apps to help with paperless caching. One in particular is GCz (Version 2) and google maps. I dont really notice the lag when I am driving to a cache, but once I get on foot, you have to walk 20-50 feet before the gps updates your position, which can make caching "challenging" :)
What exactly does GPSgate do?

AB33 11-29-2009 09:16 PM

Too bad your are on Verizon, the Free 3D Sprint Nav is nice and been using it on the Mogul and TP1 before the TP2. Verizon should offer the same for free.

lipidfats 11-29-2009 09:27 PM

yeah no tts on garmin xt.. he probably thought tts meant any speaking of directions (like left/right). tts is spoken street names. garmin actually changed the way they describe it on their site. they used to put int he specs of each device tts, but now it just says street names.

jsjaybone 11-29-2009 09:28 PM

You did change your gps program to the com port gpsgate uses right? Example on my tp2 my built in gps is com port 4. But gpsgate is com 3. So I set my tomtom to com 3 under other nmea gps receiver. Make sure that gpsgate is running before you start tomtom or igo too. You can set it to auto run but that drains battery. I only run it when I need my gps.

BooDaddy 11-29-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB33 (Post 1372256)
Too bad your are on Verizon, the Free 3D Sprint Nav is nice and been using it on the Mogul and TP1 before the TP2. Verizon should offer the same for free.

Free 3D Sprint Nav? Im not sure I have heard of this one.

japper88 11-29-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooDaddy (Post 1372288)
Free 3D Sprint Nav? Im not sure I have heard of this one.

If you have SERO it's not free...

davidetkin511 11-29-2009 10:22 PM

use mapquest navigator, its only $10 and no monthly fee. i have used it since my tp1 and there is no lag :)

jmorton10 11-29-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krusty46 (Post 1371533)
I finally gave up on TomTom yesterday when CoPilot started their $19.99 sale that ends Monday (11/30) night.
Haven't been really able to give CoPilot a good test so far, but I was happy going around the block. The $19.99 price doesn't hurt either as long as it works (lag free).

CoPilot has a really nice interface, but the maps are BADLY outdated (they are five years behind Garmin & Google maps)

~John

mswlogo 11-29-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsjaybone (Post 1372287)
You did change your gps program to the com port gpsgate uses right? Example on my tp2 my built in gps is com port 4. But gpsgate is com 3. So I set my tomtom to com 3 under other nmea gps receiver. Make sure that gpsgate is running before you start tomtom or igo too. You can set it to auto run but that drains battery. I only run it when I need my gps.

Exactly. If you don't set GPSGate up correctly and the Application YOU WILL GET Lag.

TP2 GPS Has worked perfectly on every ROM (well Stock, Mighty and Energy so far).

And the last 3 WM Devices I have had have had the same issue.

You MUST run GPSGate.

Any Application that uses a COM port should work with no lag, using GPSGate.

It's a cheap purchase and not locked to your device, just your name.

Some applications know how to use the Window Mobile GPS API (Like Google Maps) and Some MUST use a com port. The Window Mobile COM Port Emulator (which TRY's to do what GPSGate does) is what causes the lag. It's that application called "Extenal GPS" DON'T use it, don't use the COM port it's set to, it's the root of all evil.

Don't set GoogleMaps to use a COM Port either. Leave it as "Managed By Windows", if you changed it, you screwed yourself.