PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are we sure it's a bad thing when RAM usage goes up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
Get an app like MemMaid to show CPU cycles.

There's no direct correlation between amount of RAM available and CPU usage. Just because RAM is occupied doesn't mean the CPU is doing any work, there's just no direct connection.
why not? For ram to be occupied it means the CPU has to be doing somethign ram just doesnt get used for no reason.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: AT&T

krohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkrohnjw is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
why not? For ram to be occupied it means the CPU has to be doing somethign ram just doesnt get used for no reason.
Well, for the data set to get placed *into* ram the CPU must be used. However, it can remain in ram and if nothing is working with the data set then no CPU operations are required to keep it in RAM.

RAM gets used by any application in non sequential fashion. It is entirely possible that data in RAM is out dated or was placed there by a program that has since been closed or is sitting idle (which is why programs reading from an incorrect memory address exhibit sometimes unpredictable results).

However, having that data in ram doesn't require any further cpu operations.

Quote:
whenever I see more ram used it also means more processor used.. and I wish we had somethign showing how much processor is being used like on windows vista/7
What you may see is that extra work is required validating that the current state of the data in memory is no longer needed so that it is then dirtied/swapped out to allow for newer data to be placed in the same memory location. This occurs when there is not enough free memory (the limit may be less than 100%) to place the required data set into memory or garbage collection occurs. This threshold is going to be determined by the memory manager (and 6.1's is really not very good).

So, with a large amount of used memory you may see extra CPU cycles used when new data has to be written into memory locations that are already occupied by old/stale data, but the actual storage of the current data (assuming it's not being used and nothing is being written to those locations) does not in itself cause any extra CPU usage.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
To add to krohnjw's excellent explanation, there is a whole other area of cache and allocation of that--in short I devote a lot of my RAM to cache (file system, file system filter, GDI/font, etc),which is variable to a certain extent. In turn I have a "faster" device but consume more RAM; however just because certain areas of the OS are pre-cached doesn't mean it is being acted on by the CPU when not being called up for a process.

Remember, RAM is just volatile memory--it's a temporary storage area for data to be accessed quickly but not written to storage. The RAM chips themselves, AFAIK, are powered by the system regardless of what is being "held" in memory at the time and it is only when that information is called or acted upon does the CPU need to be used.

At least that, in my non-engineering background, is how I understand it.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11-06-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

1454 is keeping up the good work1454 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
To add to krohnjw's excellent explanation, there is a whole other area of cache and allocation of that--in short I devote a lot of my RAM to cache (file system, file system filter, GDI/font, etc),which is variable to a certain extent. In turn I have a "faster" device but consume more RAM; however just because certain areas of the OS are pre-cached doesn't mean it is being acted on by the CPU when not being called up for a process.

Remember, RAM is just volatile memory--it's a temporary storage area for data to be accessed quickly but not written to storage. The RAM chips themselves, AFAIK, are powered by the system regardless of what is being "held" in memory at the time and it is only when that information is called or acted upon does the CPU need to be used.

At least that, in my non-engineering background, is how I understand it.
Is there a specific way in which one goes about this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2