PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are we sure it's a bad thing when RAM usage goes up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
Well, if the app is polling on any sort of interval for hardware status or other info then it will use resources (the amount of resources used will obviously depend on the hardware being queried). If it is truly sitting idle and only operating on its own data set or info then it shouldn't be using any additional resources by merely being open.
Exactly and any programmer worth their salt would not have their software polling unless it actually needed to do so; off hand I can't think of many apps sans email, IM and automatically-updating data programs that would need to do this.

But browsers, file explorer, RSS readers that aren't updating, Twitter apps that aren't auto-updating, Outlook, Netflix, etc. don't do this as far as I know. In fact it should seem obvious which apps do truly "run" in the background and those that don't do anything.

Edit: Here's a good example direct from MS on coding of Widgets, battery life and what they strongly suggest to preserve power; this is why I think modern programs on a moder OS don't impact battery life when idle.
  • Only consume network resources when your widget is active.
  • Minimize animations when the widget is idle.
  • Cache data locally as aggressively as possible, use the widget persistent storage as a repository since it will be preserved across runs (and even upgrades).
  • Be aware of the current battery level and minimize network operations when the battery is running low.
  • Always (and by that I really mean always!!) use asynchronous network requests.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

malatesta you are on point with the technical info. u back up your opinions with actual facts i love that!! thanks for the info man!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
malatesta you are on point with the technical info. u back up your opinions with actual facts i love that!! thanks for the info man!
lol, it's my academic background

Heck, I even enjoy when folks prove me wrong or teach me something I don't know (which is often), so if people can enlighten me on these issues I'm all for it!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evil Evo

i360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulari360 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Your giving too much credence to MS and some random developers personally. MS operating systems are constantly running tasks even on an idle machine. Once these programs aren't in the que they won't have the ability to run. So I'm glad you think we are wasting our time and whatnot. I know what works in my own expierence since i'm the one doing it. Justify the means and go have a coke and a smile.....
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i360 View Post
Your giving too much credence to MS and some random developers personally. MS operating systems are constantly running tasks even on an idle machine. Once these programs aren't in the que they won't have the ability to run. So I'm glad you think we are wasting our time and whatnot. I know what works in my own expierence since i'm the one doing it. Justify the means and go have a coke and a smile.....
What processes and tasks? I'm looking for specifics not generalities. And giving too much credence to the developers of the operating system as opposed to joe-schmo in a forum with zero credentials (no offense of course, even I can be lumped into that category)? Hmmm...

I just see lots of claims being made but little actual arguments to support them. I've seen these sort of urban myths passed on in forums and I just see them as inaccurate, hence why I'm looking for someone to explain it.

This reminds me of the "turn off beam" to save battery life meme.

Last edited by Malatesta; 11-05-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
lol, it's my academic background

Heck, I even enjoy when folks prove me wrong or teach me something I don't know (which is often), so if people can enlighten me on these issues I'm all for it!
now thats a good attitude that we should all go by...... You da man Malatesta.....
Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

kern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuffkern417 knows their stuff

all i know is with my verizon tp i couldn't multi task at all until i flashed an ssk rom that allowed lower ram usage. i couldn't open multiple tabs in opera and it was extrememly slow. i have no problems with my phone but don't see why i would want to let it get that high again.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung epic + Samsung galaxy Tab
Carrier: sprint

ajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuffajac knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstein View Post
I'm reading lots of people trying to figure out how to keep RAM usage down. What I'm wondering is if that's really productive. Seems to me that as long as the OS properly manages it, it should be OK if RAM usage get into the 90% range.

If the OS is using RAM to cache commonly used chunks of code, and if it has a decent routine for freeing up RAM as needed, what's the problem. It could actually slow things down to keep purging RAM.

I'll admit I don't know much about what's going on in the kernel or exactly why RAM usage grows over time. Is there anyone who has dug deep enough into the system to know for sure what's going on in there?
whenever I see more ram used it also means more processor used.. and I wish we had somethign showing how much processor is being used like on windows vista/7
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
whenever I see more ram used it also means more processor used.. and I wish we had somethign showing how much processor is being used like on windows vista/7
Get an app like MemMaid to show CPU cycles.

There's no direct correlation between amount of RAM available and CPU usage. Just because RAM is occupied doesn't mean the CPU is doing any work, there's just no direct connection.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It's definitely NOT a good thing.

WinMo leaks memory like a colander leaks water. I soft reset every day, and run a memory cleaning app all the time, otherwise I don't have enough memory to run memory hungry programs like iGO8.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2