PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: xv6700 -> xv6800 -> xv6850(TP) -> TOUCH PRO 2!
Carrier: Verizon

ZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[REQUEST] Wi-Fi Sharing running in AP mode (Non Ad-Hoc)

I'm trying to get my phone to broadcast wifi as a normal router. I don't want Ad-Hoc mode because a few devices I have don't support Ad-hoc mode. I've tried playing around with the options in WMWifi Router to try to get router like wifi sharing but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Sensation 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tacotoy is becoming a great contributor
Re: [REQUEST] Wi-Fi Sharing running in AP mode (Non Ad-Hoc)

IIRC the chip isn't designed to handle multiple wifi connections.... so its not going to work...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: xv6700 -> xv6800 -> xv6850(TP) -> TOUCH PRO 2!
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

ZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZuneNinja! is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
IIRC the chip isn't designed to handle multiple wifi connections.... so its not going to work...
Just to clarify my first post. I'm not intending to connect multiple devices to my phone. I just want whatever I'm connecting to see the connection as a normal router/access point, even if only one device will connect to it at a time, I don't care.

The main reason I want this is because the Zune HD currently does not have ad-hoc support. If I could get internet access for it wherever I go, just think of all the music you could download on the fly.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

your talking about infrastructure VS ad-hoc right??

WModem is the only one, and ask "Sweet Bear Cub" around these parts, it doesnt work.. he flooded this forum for days looking for the same answer.. never got it

your outta luck pretty sure
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

i was able to do something like this with WIFIRouter in "test" mode but the connection shuts off after a certain period of time

TEAM MiK
Member Since 12/30/10
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
your talking about infrastructure VS ad-hoc right??

WModem is the only one, and ask "Sweet Bear Cub" around these parts, it doesnt work.. he flooded this forum for days looking for the same answer.. never got it

your outta luck pretty sure
I knew I wasn't imagining things earlier today when I felt my ears tingling...

Sadly no. I haven't been able to find a way to get a TP2 to broadcast in Infrastructure mode. I'm not an engineer, but I've come to the conclusion (through trial and error) that the WiFi chip in the phone is just not physically capable of doing it.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong!

If someone can come out with a WiFi tethering app that broadcasts in Infrastructure mode (like a real access point, not just a computer to computer connection) and that supports WPA (preferably WPA2) encryption, I'd be all over it.

P.S.. My online name has no spaces in it.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

best way i've found to get around problems like this is setting a router to the same config, but change the default routes to the phone's ip, set open dns manually, and turn off ssid broadcast.
it's been a while and I don't remember the exact config cuz that router fried. it's possible I had to do some some fancy vwlan's too.

but atleast I could just have the router powered on instead of messing with a laptop and bridge's. It also worked out nicely that the router I was using was 12vdc so I could use it in the car.. but I think it overheated and fried so a fan would be a good add-on.

Last edited by shaggylive; 08-03-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
wrong!! i can hook my laptop, xbox360, and my girls iTouch to my tp2s wifi all at once..
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work

I've been looking for this exact thing for some time now. What I do is tether my phone to my computer and then use the program from http://connectify.me/ with one of the access point cards... I use this http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0305492 This will broadcast the wifi network you need. I know its a horrid work-around but does the trick when trying to connect things like the PS3 that don't see ad-hoc networks. Probably should mention that this particular program only runs on a PC runing windows7.

If someone helped you with a problem, hit the thanks button and let them know you appreciate their time.

Last edited by gammarho55; 08-03-2010 at 02:39 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I MADE IT!!!
Pocket PC: MIUI Powered 3VO, MikFroyo'd EVO & Energized Pro 2

ooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIPooxteme is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to ooxteme

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
wrong!! i can hook my laptop, xbox360, and my girls iTouch to my tp2s wifi all at once..

And the way to do this is?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2