PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   [REQUEST] Wi-Fi Sharing running in AP mode (Non Ad-Hoc) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130468)

ZuneNinja! 08-02-2010 01:11 PM

[REQUEST] Wi-Fi Sharing running in AP mode (Non Ad-Hoc)

I'm trying to get my phone to broadcast wifi as a normal router. I don't want Ad-Hoc mode because a few devices I have don't support Ad-hoc mode. I've tried playing around with the options in WMWifi Router to try to get router like wifi sharing but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

tacotoy 08-02-2010 03:16 PM

Re: [REQUEST] Wi-Fi Sharing running in AP mode (Non Ad-Hoc)

IIRC the chip isn't designed to handle multiple wifi connections.... so its not going to work...

ZuneNinja! 08-02-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotoy (Post 1894339)
IIRC the chip isn't designed to handle multiple wifi connections.... so its not going to work...

Just to clarify my first post. I'm not intending to connect multiple devices to my phone. I just want whatever I'm connecting to see the connection as a normal router/access point, even if only one device will connect to it at a time, I don't care.

The main reason I want this is because the Zune HD currently does not have ad-hoc support. If I could get internet access for it wherever I go, just think of all the music you could download on the fly.

boredandtattooed 08-02-2010 06:15 PM

your talking about infrastructure VS ad-hoc right??

WModem is the only one, and ask "Sweet Bear Cub" around these parts, it doesnt work.. he flooded this forum for days looking for the same answer.. never got it

your outta luck pretty sure

ooxteme 08-02-2010 06:25 PM

i was able to do something like this with WIFIRouter in "test" mode but the connection shuts off after a certain period of time

SweetBearCub 08-02-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1894604)
your talking about infrastructure VS ad-hoc right??

WModem is the only one, and ask "Sweet Bear Cub" around these parts, it doesnt work.. he flooded this forum for days looking for the same answer.. never got it

your outta luck pretty sure

I knew I wasn't imagining things earlier today when I felt my ears tingling...

Sadly no. I haven't been able to find a way to get a TP2 to broadcast in Infrastructure mode. I'm not an engineer, but I've come to the conclusion (through trial and error) that the WiFi chip in the phone is just not physically capable of doing it.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong!

If someone can come out with a WiFi tethering app that broadcasts in Infrastructure mode (like a real access point, not just a computer to computer connection) and that supports WPA (preferably WPA2) encryption, I'd be all over it.

P.S.. My online name has no spaces in it. :-)

shaggylive 08-03-2010 12:10 AM

best way i've found to get around problems like this is setting a router to the same config, but change the default routes to the phone's ip, set open dns manually, and turn off ssid broadcast.
it's been a while and I don't remember the exact config cuz that router fried. it's possible I had to do some some fancy vwlan's too.

but atleast I could just have the router powered on instead of messing with a laptop and bridge's. It also worked out nicely that the router I was using was 12vdc so I could use it in the car.. but I think it overheated and fried so a fan would be a good add-on.

boredandtattooed 08-03-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacotoy (Post 1894339)

wrong!! i can hook my laptop, xbox360, and my girls iTouch to my tp2s wifi all at once..

gammarho55 08-03-2010 02:33 PM

I've been looking for this exact thing for some time now. What I do is tether my phone to my computer and then use the program from http://connectify.me/ with one of the access point cards... I use this http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0305492 This will broadcast the wifi network you need. I know its a horrid work-around but does the trick when trying to connect things like the PS3 that don't see ad-hoc networks. Probably should mention that this particular program only runs on a PC runing windows7.

ooxteme 08-03-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1895777)
wrong!! i can hook my laptop, xbox360, and my girls iTouch to my tp2s wifi all at once..

And the way to do this is?