PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Verizon

DLCPhoto is keeping up the good workDLCPhoto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS Software for U.S. Frustration!

This seems like a simple wish - all I want is to purchase GP software for my Verizon TP2, with US maps, install it on the new 16gb microSDHC card I purchased, and get on with my life. Not so fast...

CoPilot Live 8 - reasonably priced, can download and install where I want, but apparently the Activation process is extremely fragile - the least change to your device and it has to be reactivated. Reports indicate that many have abandoned it because of this.

GarminXT - requires the purchase and use of their SD card.

OnCourseNavigator (the US 'brand' of IGO8 apparently) - also requies the purchase and use of their SD card.

TomTom Navigator 7 - when I go to their site, no US maps are listed for WM (they do have for the iPhone).

When I've raised these issues, I've been referrred to a particular website of ill repute, and I've been searching and posting there. Basically, there are ways to download virtually any of these applications without having to purchase a license, and the process appears fairly complex, with multiple map file downloads, instructions to modify files that I find less than straightforward, with use of a lot of inside jargon and acronyms. Frankly, I don't have the time or desire to mess with all of that, and I really prefer to simply pay for a legitimate license.

This really shouldn't be that difficult!!

Is there something, some other application, that I'm missing???

Last edited by DLCPhoto; 10-01-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Remove reference (not a link) to a particular website
Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: GPS Software for U.S. Frustration!

I had all the activation problems with that POS CoPilot to the point where I don't even bother to install it anymore.

Grab the GarminXT, I have a solution for you -I am running it from my 16 gig sandisk card & have used that card in at least 4 different phones (& it works super)

PM me

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

bstan is becoming a great contributor

I have started to compiling a list of GPS applications and a bunch of their qualities, want to help complete it?

I have been using CoPilot. I followed their directions and I didn't have any problems with activation. I did send them an email with some questions I had about the software, it has been two days and I haven't gotten a response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gps.jpg (19.8 KB, 51 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

lovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlovingHDTV is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
This seems like a simple wish - all I want is to purchase GP software for my Verizon TP2, with US maps, install it on the new 16gb microSDHC card I purchased, and get on with my life. Not so fast...

CoPilot Live 8 - reasonably priced, can download and install where I want, but apparently the Activation process is extremely fragile - the least change to your device and it has to be reactivated. Reports indicate that many have abandoned it because of this.

OnCourseNavigator (the US 'brand' of IGO8 apparently) - also requies the purchase and use of their SD card.

TomTom Navigator 7 - when I go to their site, no US maps are listed for WM (they do have for the iPhone).

When I've raised these issues, I've been referrred to the GPS Underground website, and I've been searching and posting there. Basically, there are ways to download virtually any of these applications without having to purchase a license, and the process appears fairly complex, with multiple map file downloads, instructions to modify files that I find less than straightforward, with use of a lot of inside jargon and acronyms. Frankly, I don't have the time or desire to mess with all of that, and I really prefer to simply pay for a legitimate license.

I whole heartedly agree!

I want a GPS solution that will work even when I have no cellular connection and can be installed on my SDCard, but have come to the same conclusion that you have. It can't be done.

dave
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I would start by removing the website you have posted in you original post......
Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I still havn't figured out why m$ dropped streets and trips, that was a good app before the maps and technology were good.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (U; Mobile; iPhone; PPC; en; 320x320) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) WM5 Iris/1.1.9 Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman
I would start by removing the website you have posted in you original post......
Agreed! Igo8 works fine for me without their card. Im running a sandisk 16GB micro sd w same maps from my touch, tp, now on a treo pro.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (U; Mobile; iPhone; PPC; en; 320x320) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) WM5 Iris/1.1.9 Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman
Agreed! Igo8 works fine for me without their card. Im running a sandisk 16GB micro sd w same maps from my touch, tp, now on a treo pro.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post

When I've raised these issues, I've been referrred to the GPS Underground website, and I've been searching and posting there. Basically, there are ways to download virtually any of these applications without having to purchase a license, and the process appears fairly complex, with multiple map file downloads, instructions to modify files that I find less than straightforward, with use of a lot of inside jargon and acronyms. Frankly, I don't have the time or desire to mess with all of that, and I really prefer to simply pay for a legitimate license.

Have you tried Iguidance?

http://www.inavcorp.com/
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstan View Post

I have been using CoPilot. I followed their directions and I didn't have any problems with activation. .
It will activate just fine the first time, but don't make any changes to your system or you'll be right back to square one.

I must have activated that awful software 30 times & I'm not sure it ever actually worked right once when I really needed it to.

They are an infuriating company to deal with also. Each time it refused to re-activate (it would tell me the key was invalid), I would have to email them & wait four days for a snotty response. At one point, they actually told me "if this happens again, we will be unable to help you"

This was with software I legally purchased, I DID NOT DL a cracked copy (although I SHOULD have). I stick with Garmin now & it works perfectly.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
gps