PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

bstan is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone else having this issue? (pic)

I didn't realize the strips were there until the one of the right came off because it got scrunched up as I was sliding the keyboard. If it was suppose to stay there, it wouldn't have done that.

Looking at your pic though, I don't think the chip is the because of the sliding action. I don't think any part hangs over that far.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
Why on earth would a manufacturer design a product that scratches itself without a delicate, removable piece of packing plastic? That's just silly, seriously.
Like I said. It's not static-cling plastic like the packing plastic. It's the same plastic that is glued onto the back of the screen with the Sprint logo on it. Normally temporary shipping protective surfaces aren't glued on. In fact, they never are. This is. It is glued on and it protects the exact area where the metal scrapes the keyboard shroud. It makes sense to me for them to do this. Especially since they had wear issues with the original TP.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstan View Post
I didn't realize the strips were there until the one of the right came off because it got scrunched up as I was sliding the keyboard. If it was suppose to stay there, it wouldn't have done that.

Looking at your pic though, I don't think the chip is the because of the sliding action. I don't think any part hangs over that far.
There is enough play in the hinge of the phone that makes the corner of the metal foot hit the precise area where this chip seems to have started. See for yourself. Close the phone and "wiggle" the two halves of the phone.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
Like I said. It's not static-cling plastic like the packing plastic. It's the same plastic that is glued onto the back of the screen with the Sprint logo on it. Normally temporary shipping protective surfaces aren't glued on. In fact, they never are. This is. It is glued on and it protects the exact area where the metal scrapes the keyboard shroud. It makes sense to me for them to do this. Especially since they had wear issues with the original TP.
If it was there for protection, wouldn't it be replaceable? What is the point of having something to take damage if it can't be replaced later? These strips seem to have been added before the screen is attached so replacing them probably isn't an option. I imagine it was for protection only while assembling the device.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
There is enough play in the hinge of the phone that makes the corner of the metal foot hit the precise area where this chip seems to have started. See for yourself. Close the phone and "wiggle" the two halves of the phone.
Not for me. The chip I see in your picture is on the rim. On the back of my phone there is also a rim, then inside is the little foot. The rim on the back of the screen lines up with the rim on the keyboard. The foot is on the inside and no amount of wobble outside of ripping the two parts apart will make the foot touch the outside rim.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
If it was there for protection, wouldn't it be replaceable? What is the point of having something to take damage if it can't be replaced later? These strips seem to have been added before the screen is attached so replacing them probably isn't an option. I imagine it was for protection only while assembling the device.
It looks entirely replaceable when you have the screen fully tilted.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
It looks entirely replaceable when you have the screen fully tilted.
Good luck with that. Even with the screen fully tilted the screen hangs over a large portion of the plastic. You would have about a mm of space to slide it under the screen. If it was adhesive at all it would be impossible to apply.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
AKA TEMPERBAD
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2/ N1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on repDragon2 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

lets put it this way, if the plastic was there to protect it, why are peoples that leave em on keep getting scrunched and coming off? The plastic is getting scratched and will give soon, this is just a minor design flaw and wont hurt nothing or hinder performance other than have scratches or nicks on the sides........ PLASTIC IS MEANT TO COME OFF DUDES.........LOL
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Not for me. The chip I see in your picture is on the rim. On the back of my phone there is also a rim, then inside is the little foot. The rim on the back of the screen lines up with the rim on the keyboard. The foot is on the inside and no amount of wobble outside of ripping the two parts apart will make the foot touch the outside rim.
When my phone is closed, the foot rests on that exact spot.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2 View Post
lets put it this way, if the plastic was there to protect it, why are peoples that leave em on keep getting scrunched and coming off? The plastic is getting scratched and will give soon, this is just a minor design flaw and wont hurt nothing or hinder performance other than have scratches or nicks on the sides........ PLASTIC IS MEANT TO COME OFF DUDES.........LOL
I see it as HTC doing a CYA after realizing that the metal feet molded into the backplate tend to etch down the sides of the keyboard. As for scrunching, one person said it. Who else said it? Now I'm curious because it looks to protect the two halves of the phone from scratching each other.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2