PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Dyeing battery cover-(SPRINT) (Video of dyeing/removing orange backing)-UPDATED! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88405)

SolApathy 10-02-2009 11:40 AM

Dyeing battery cover-(SPRINT) (Video of dyeing/removing orange backing)-UPDATED!

**UPDATED**

I added a video tutorial for dyeing the back of the Sprint Touch Pro 2 battery cover, as well as pictures of the results. I also Dyed the Stylus. *This video covers the dyeing of a case with the orange insert*.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKpmFYqyqQ

Stock cover & stylus next to the dyed case (with orange insert dyed black) & stylus- Remember the cover needs to stay in the dye at least 10 minutes for it to dye the orange backing on the Sprint version. In addition, moving it around a bit while it's in the dye helps to get it in all the crevices. This insures no air bubbles are in the holes, preventing the dye from getting into the orange.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2...ge027zz.th.jpg
Dyed stylus/stock stylus
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7...g0024ye.th.jpg
Here is a link to the Touch Pro "Official" thread on how to dye the battery cover on the original Touch Pro. (with over 1,000 posts)

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...&highlight=RIT

The only thing I do differently is place it in a bowl of ice filled water & rub it with a soft cloth until all the additional dye comes off. I have found this also helps with the initial smell.

This is a great process that I used with exceptional results on multiple covers. I am hoping that some people here will take the plunge & post pictures of their newly colored phones in here so we can see all the possibilities!

Here is a writeup another user did on my video:

http://pocketnow.com/tweaks-hacks/ht...video-tutorial

Here is a comparison shot of the Sprint TP 2 With & without the orange undercoating. I used my fingernail & a razor blade to remove the backing completely.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3533/1001654w.th.jpg

EDIT: After removing the undercoating & using the speakerphone I noticed a marked difference in the loudness & clarity. Keep in mind this will increase the sensitivity of the mute button. Should not really matter though since it is only used when you have the device face down in speakerphone mode.

If the mute button bothers you:

Here is a redneck fix for your issue. Take a 1" piece of black tape. Fold it over on itself. Remove the battery, insert one edge of the take into the top of the battery housing. Re-seat the battery. This will cause the battery to shift just enough to fix the mute button issue, and prevent the battery falling out so easily. It does not effect thy dynamics of the case.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4885/1001676a.th.jpg

Time to remove it on the other one!

ADDED: Video tutorial for removing the orange backing (Using a Hairdryer to heat the cover first helps)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_5n8XZWbo

pixelwix 10-02-2009 11:42 AM

Re: Dyeing your battery cover- Instructions

there is already a thread on how to do it for the tp2,!!!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88279

SolApathy 10-02-2009 11:48 AM

Yeah but it's missing a few instructions, not to mention he posted it specifically for the Verizon TP. The will be a consolidated thread to include all pictures, for any carrier, with a link to the original TP forum thread which started this obsession to dye our phones!

appzattak 10-02-2009 11:59 AM

I don't think it will look right with the Sprint battery cover. Just buy a Verizon one for like 10 bucks and then dye it and use it. It's a super simple process., look in the TP forum for the exact instructions.

eldersoul 10-02-2009 01:10 PM

Why did you start a new thread?

SolApathy 10-02-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldersoul (Post 1209302)
Why did you start a new thread?

Because his thread
#1- Specifies Verizon
#2. Doesn't reference the 1,000 post thread about dyeing your cover
#3. Doesn't have anything to do with removing the orange undercoating on the Sprint version

eldersoul 10-02-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Dyeing your battery cover- Instructions (Pics of orange removed)

So because you say its for verizon (which btw, was the specifically what the other op posted about) and it doesnt have a reference to another thread its somehow different? I just dont think it qualifies, chief.

Dragon2 10-02-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldersoul (Post 1209368)
So because you say its for verizon (which btw, was the specifically what the other op posted about) and it doesnt have a reference to another thread its somehow different? I just dont think it qualifies, chief.

who cares, lets let the mods figure that out...

I found the post usefull and thumbs up. Im hitting thanks... Also it looks way better with the orange gone..... Nice

Cicatrize 10-02-2009 01:54 PM

Ew. I think it looks like crap without the orange.

SolApathy 10-02-2009 03:03 PM

a few experiments...Keep in mind this is about 5 minutes of work with tape for both. Just trying to find the look I like. Keep in mind you need to cut out an area for the speakers.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2307/1001659.th.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1612/1001658j.th.jpg

Young_breedent 10-02-2009 03:08 PM

sprints TP2 is just fine the way it is i wouldn't change aything

SolApathy 10-02-2009 03:30 PM

I like the back cover design...I hate the orange lol

bluruld 10-02-2009 03:32 PM

Nice job! I'm just happy that I have VZ and therefore the superior looking color imo.

The guy is trying to share his work. You should be thanking him and not picking at him.

themuffinman 10-02-2009 03:50 PM

I actually like the orange alot, so therefore I wont be dying anything this round.

Young_breedent 10-02-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1209687)
I actually like the orange alot, so therefore I wont be dying anything this round.

i'm with you 100 percent. Sprints looks so nice, i don't know why someone would want to mess up the cover. The color they chose is just right and the orange accents are tasteful

SolApathy 10-02-2009 04:18 PM

another experiment...A little red white & blue... Definitely not everyone's taste, but figured I'd share
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6387/1001663o.th.jpg

amw1972 10-02-2009 04:42 PM

First off...great job on the different looks...Thanks for starting this thread because there are some folks that didn't have the first TP...and they probably didn't know about the RIT dye process.

Second of all...smart to start a Sprint specific thread since the original TouchPros were different devices (esp. under the hood...I still would have loved the faceted back that the European versions had)

Third of all...if you like your phone the way it is...then leave it at that. If you're on PPC Geeks, you're looking for a way to get the MOST out of your phone...so this is just another way. Stop flaming the thread starter that wants to share and contribute to the community.

I've been trying to get xtra covers from my local Sprint repair center with no success. Obvious reason being the TP2 is not IN the stores yet. But, for all those of you that might consider doing this, the Sprint centers keeps the battery covers before they send the phone in for repairs...and when the phones come back they have a replacement cover. So usually, they'll have onesies and twosies back there...just gotta ask.

BTW, love the speaker mesh cover only dye job...I'm considering that one

fceeviper 10-02-2009 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your custom work on the Pro2 SolApathy.

ps.

You should post a/your Youtube video showing how to remove the orange and also illustrating the dyeing process. :cool:

jmorton10 10-02-2009 06:06 PM

Although I still think the Sprint cover is pretty ugly compared to either the VZ or T-Mobile design, I got to admit it loks A LOT BETTER without that hideos orange color!!

~John

Budster 10-02-2009 06:35 PM

Usefully thread, this is unique to the the Sprint phone With photos of examples- Good Job and thanks given.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldersoul (Post 1209368)

It’s clear that the Verizon poster is way too narrow minded about this and probably life in general to see that there Is obvious merit to this post for Sprint specific users.
- the guy took the time to take several good photo examples, and has given ideas to others on how to be creative to the back, that is unique to Sprint. -Whether you like it or not - I say well done and thanks for the info.

Budster

[sammich] 10-02-2009 08:22 PM

Personally, I think this thread should be kept and kept separate from the VZW thread. It offers valuable information for the users who have the battery covers of different carriers.

To the OP: I really like your idea! Do you think it's possible to dye the actual orange part of the device, though? I ask because I kinda like the perforated look.

leepriestenator 10-02-2009 09:13 PM

The Verizon Battery cover thread has Verizon's mentioned in the title. It would be wierd to find a SPRNT cover there.

@OP... can you edit it to reflect SPRINT in the title? Creating a seperate thread for it was a great idea. I was looking for something like this earlier today specific to the SPRINT's battery cover and couldn't find anything.

Either that or merge both threads with a "MOD your TP2 Battery Cover" title.

SolApathy 10-02-2009 10:47 PM

I don't think it will dye the orange. Since I have the orange pieces from my tear-down I will try to dye it & see if it sticks when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the support!

orlandojumpoff 10-02-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolApathy (Post 1210518)
I don't think it will dye the orange. Since I have the orange pieces from my tear-down I will try to dye it & see if it sticks when I get home tonight. Thanks for all the support!

wait, so what exactly are you dyeing? i thought u dyed the orange part behind the holes... if not, aren't the holes exposing the back to water damage? or are there two back pieces behind the battery cover? if so, how are you putting it back on after prying it off?

SolApathy 10-03-2009 12:36 AM

The rear battery cover does not protect it from water damage. There are 2 speaker holes at the top & the lanyard hole at the bottom that opens into the device, not to mention the other holes :)

I did not dye anything yet. I am about to dye the orange part separately to see if it can be dyed. That way people can decide on what they want to do before making the plunge into dyeing or physically removing the internal insert.

You cannot remove & replace the orange insert. It is 1 black plastic piece glued to the Orange plastic "grill" material. In the actual battery cover they applied a light epoxy to the mesh area to hold it on. It is a little messy to remove & takes a few minutes to clean off.

The inserts I am creating are made out of colored electrical tape. The third picture is actually a Photo of the American Flag, with cutout ares for the camera, mute button, and speakers made on a piece of glossy photo paper.

brisk 10-03-2009 02:34 AM

interesting...i will do this once i get sick of the orange.
for now i actually dont' mind the orange.
but im wondering why sprint didn't go with yellow...since it is their company color it seems.

BROOKNAM 10-03-2009 11:04 AM

Re: Dyeing your battery cover-(SPRINT) Instructions (Pics of orange removed)

not really fond of the orange, but no biggie, i also think you should post a youtube video of this. good work!

BROOKNAM 10-03-2009 11:32 AM

funny i just peeled the orange part right off i didnt need a razor or anything i pulled it with my finger nail and it came right off. it looks all black with holes, i might put different color electrical tape on it from time 2 time, but fro the most part i think i will keep it just black.

SolApathy 10-03-2009 12:24 PM

The second TP I peeled off in 2 pieces. The first half came off nicely, but the second half left part of the orange material stuck & I had to do some more scraping so I think it's hit & miss. just depends on the quality of the glue job they did.

I may make a youtube video on dyeing the battery cover. I just have to decide what color I want. It's pretty simple process, though.

BROOKNAM 10-06-2009 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
this is the back dyed with the orange removed...

bsweetness 10-06-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKS06460 (Post 1217030)
I'm fairly new here, but in the short time I've been involved, I've made some conclusions about the tenor of this site. Here's my take on, not only this thread, but pretty much this whole forum.

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?
  • 1 to change the light bulb then post about it
  • 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could've been changed differently
  • 1 to move it to the Lighting folder
  • 2 to argue and then move it to the Electrical folder
  • 7 to point out grammar/spelling errors in post about changing light bulbs
  • 5 to flame the spell checkers
  • 3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
  • 6 to argue whether it's a light bulb or lightbulb
  • 2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is Lamp
  • 15 know it all who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb is perfectly correct
  • 19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take the discussion to the lightbulb forum
  • 11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
  • 36 to discuss the dangers of changing light bulbs without a professional opinion
  • 5 to post a disclaimer that they are not light bulb experts, nor do they play one on TV and that anyone planning on changing their own light bulb should consult a professional
  • 7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs
  • 4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then to post the correct URLs
  • 3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
  • 13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add, "Me too."
  • 5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
  • 4 to say, "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
  • 13 to say, "Do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs."
  • 1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Ha, ha. Well said.

SolApathy 10-06-2009 01:32 PM

Without all those people to post replies you wouldn't have a forum. Forums aren't just about the technical discussion. They are about community & sharing. While I find you post funny, it would have been better played as a standalone topic in a non-technical thread. Your post has no relevance here. This thread is here so people can see what other have experimented with before taking the plunge, themselves.

Not many are willing to tear apart their device without knowing if they will have the results they want. That is why we make these threads...

BTW - NIce dye job Brookman!

amw1972 10-06-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolApathy (Post 1217552)
Without all those people to post replies you wouldn't have a forum. Forums aren't just about the technical discussion. They are about community & sharing. While I find you post funny, it would have been better played as a standalone topic in a non-technical thread. Your post has no relevance here. This thread is here so people can see what other have experimented with before taking the plunge, themselves.

Not many are willing to tear apart their device without knowing if they will have the results they want. That is why we make these threads...

BTW - NIce dye job Brookman!

+1 and a bump to you sir...

BTW - did you attempt to dye the orange speaker scrn? How did that turn out? Still trying to get another battery cover for my Sprint TP2 before I do any dye jobs. Had 7 TP batt covers diff. colors to diff themes on the phone.

SolApathy 10-06-2009 02:22 PM

The dye does not adhere to the screen material.

fceeviper 10-06-2009 02:33 PM

No Youtube process vid yet?

The Sapient 10-06-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKS06460 (Post 1217030)
I'm fairly new here, but in the short time I've been involved, I've made some conclusions about the tenor of this site. Here's my take on, not only this thread, but pretty much this whole forum.

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?
  • 1 to change the light bulb then post about it
  • 14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could've been changed differently.......

And one person to post an internet spam joke.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=How+m...ca7b2e99206b9c

SolApathy 10-06-2009 02:52 PM

The area is out of RIT dye (go figure) so I cannot dye it the color I want. Waiting for my order to come in & I will create a video of the process!

JackG058 10-06-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sapient (Post 1217691)
And one person to post an internet spam joke.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=How+m...ca7b2e99206b9c

lol, nice catch there. I was wondering if anyone was going to add him to his own comments, but then to find out he wasn't even original, well that made it easy to do I guess.

supdawg 10-06-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolApathy (Post 1209547)
a few experiments...Keep in mind this is about 5 minutes of work with tape for both. Just trying to find the look I like

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2307/1001659.th.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1612/1001658j.th.jpg

You need to open up the holes for the speaker????

sircas 10-06-2009 03:58 PM

Sprint OEM Orange is just find the way it is. It's something about that color. I am a Sr. Financial Analyst by trade so it matches my HP 10B Business calculator Function key colors.

I am sticking with the Orange unless I go Black & Old Gold, my A Phi A colors