PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: VZW

Kushiel is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Maps Cell Triangulation on VZW TP2

Did anyone else notice that Google Maps cell triangulation works incredibly well on the VZW TP2? I got off the metro, pulled up Google Maps, and it instantly knew where I had come out of the tunnel. About 10 seconds later it got a GPS lock and narrowed down my location even further!

Even better, the whole "Continue to share you location with Latitude" actually seems to work and is updating my location even when I'm not running Google Maps! I don't know how it affects the battery life, but I must say I love my TP2
Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5
Carrier: Sprint

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work
Re: Google Maps Cell Triangulation on VZW TP2

I have the Sprint TP2. In a totally unscientific study of only one point, my home, the cell triangulation was pretty far off, but it only claimed to be within a 1400 yard radius.
The GPS was very close.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Ok, so the triangulation isn't totally accurate, but it is still a first that you can triangulate using a windows mobile CDMA phone! I think that the GSM radio is still on even when using CDMA and it is using that to figure out where it is. Cool, huh?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

About 400 feet usually indoors. Tried multiple locations, 400 was the average.

By the way, my GSM radio is turned off, I am on CDMA only.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
Did anyone else notice that Google Maps cell triangulation works incredibly well on the VZW TP2? I got off the metro, pulled up Google Maps, and it instantly knew where I had come out of the tunnel. About 10 seconds later it got a GPS lock and narrowed down my location even further!

Even better, the whole "Continue to share you location with Latitude" actually seems to work and is updating my location even when I'm not running Google Maps! I don't know how it affects the battery life, but I must say I love my TP2

It works equally well with Bing maps also.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Ok, so I was wondering if it was just an update to Google Maps Mobile, but I just tried the latest version on my wife's Touch Pro and the cell id triangulation doesn't work. It must be something new in the radio drivers of the TP2...
Old 09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

I just got the latest google maps the other day. It's probably a stupid question but how did you know when it was using cell triangulation vs GPS. Also in the old version I was used too on my Titan it would say how many satellites it was locked too, I've yet to see that in this version? I have a terrible feeling I'm missing something simple.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZ TP2 XV6875

ramborami is keeping up the good workramborami is keeping up the good work

Try updating your QuickGPS application download- weekly, and you will get relatively instant GPS locks!
Old: VZW TP XV6850 >> VZW XV6900 >> VZW XV6800 >> VZW XV6700 >> VZW XV6600
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

lallen3 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
Ok, so the triangulation isn't totally accurate, but it is still a first that you can triangulate using a windows mobile CDMA phone! I think that the GSM radio is still on even when using CDMA and it is using that to figure out where it is. Cool, huh?

It uses tower based ping time to triangulate, while at the same time GPS's your phone. The result is fast locating of the handset. I have Sprint, and so far it works MUCH better than TP1 did.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It's working on a Sprint TP(1) with NRGZ28's latest ROM as well. I wonder exactly what is allowing us access now. Is it just a matter of having correct server settings, or is there actually a service on the device that is communicating securely with the towers to access the AFLT data. Anyone have the details?

Outside of a handful of phones (Palm Pre for example) tower based location services haven't been available from CDMA carriers. I wonder if they're finally opening up access. Well, hopefully now that there are a few WM phones offering it we can port it to others. Sweet, I've been waiting for this for a long time. Cell ID info has been available on GSM networks forever, but it seems that our local CDMA carriers have been trying to find ways to monetize it. Maybe they're giving up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2