PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Copy And Paste On Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85583)

digitaliceblast 09-17-2009 11:28 PM

Copy And Paste On Touch Pro 2

Is there a way to copy and paste? The only way I've found this possible is to switch the onscreen keyboard from full qwerty to just keyboard. This keyboard has a ctrl key which allows you to press ctrl then hit c to copy, then press ctrl again and hit v to paste. Anyone found another way? Would be nice if someone could mod the full qwerty to have a ctrl key.

Solution #1

First Download: Rhodium Keyboard Controller

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...Screen14-1.png

You have to do everything you see in this picture.
After installing Rhodium Keyboard Controller you go to all settings,
then choose keyboard config. Press menu on the bottom right then click add key.
Make sure to check the box that says Combine with FN key (Function key), it will also say Press
and release the key you want to assign action for. Slide out your keyboard then press "C"

When the key setup screen pops up do what you see in the picture.
Rule leave as is.
Key mode: Single/double click, long press
Event: Click
Action: Emulate key press
Key: 67 C Key
"MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE CTRL BOX"
Send to: OS
Hit ok, then press "Update config" on the bottom left.
Now with your physical keyboard out press the FN key then press "C" this will copy whatever you hightlight.

Repeat the same process for
(X which is 88 to cut)
and (V which is 86 to paste)

Thanks to CovKid66

Solution #2

EVEN BETTER way to do it with the Keyboard controller/config:
You don't "Need" to map a CTRL key, because you can emulate pressing a key WHILE pressing another key. In other words:
Take your C key, map "default function" to single click, but map "emulate keypress" for LONG press, and then for the key to emulate check CTRL and "C". That way when press and hold C it will copy automatically! Repeat for X and V etc. Also I made a tab key via FN->SYM, and pressing FN->LEFT or RIGHT will skip a word.

If you don't understand any of this or just want to see it, here's my Keyboard Controller XML config file: (coulldn't attach an XML file here so I'm hosting it off my site)
http://protonus.ws/files/ppc/KeyboardConfig.xml
Just load this up and you can see all I've done, I've mapped a lot. I have some mapping for the AEButtons Task Manager and Mem Viewer as they're my favorite so install AEButtons to take advantage of that (you don't have to have it in startup though).

Thanks to Protonus

Still looking for a mod to add ctrl to the Full QWERTY onscreen keyboard.

Dragon2 09-17-2009 11:40 PM

Re: TP2 Copy And Paste?

this dont help you and im sorry, but the tmobile version has a ctrl and i love it.... i dont know why they would remove it on the other carriers along with having the sd card and soft reset under the trunk, but i guess yall got a 3.5 mm jack instead...

Scotty_Two 09-17-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaliceblast (Post 1175200)
Is there a way to copy and paste? The only way I've found this possible is to switch the onscreen keyboard from full qwerty to just keyboard. This keyboard has a ctrl key which allows you to press ctrl then hit c to copy, then press ctrl again and hit v to paste. Anyone found another way? Would be nice if someone could mod the full qwerty to have a ctrl key.

select whatever it is you want to copy, tap and hold down on it on the screen and wait for the pop-up options and select copy. same for paste. sometimes the right softkey will have options and you can go to edit and then copy/paste.

STILLSPRINTIN 09-17-2009 11:54 PM

I've noticed that you can't highlight text thats in text message view anymore i.e., hold the stylus on the screen and highlight what you want, it only allows you to select all and copy.

8notime 09-17-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STILLSPRINTIN (Post 1175260)
I've noticed that you can't highlight text thats in text message view anymore i.e., hold the stylus on the screen and highlight what you want, it only allows you to select all and copy.

You have to hit the menu soft key and then click on select text first.

cyclical 09-17-2009 11:57 PM

If you select "Menu" in most things, there is a "Select Text" option that you can click. It allows you to select text onscreen.

cyclical 09-17-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1175265)
You have to hit the menu soft key and then click on select text first.

damn you beat me by a minute.

[sammich] 09-18-2009 06:06 AM

Sometimes certain text fields doen't allow you to copy highlighted text from them. On the TP1, I would just use Ctrl-C and it would work anyways. I guess for the TP2, you have to use the standard WM keyboard :(

otterit 09-18-2009 06:09 AM

i asked a similar question yesterday. my HTC Mogul could highlight, copy, and paste on virtually any screen. the TP2 looks better, but takes away that functionality. :(

otterit 09-18-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ☢ ⓈⒶⓊⓂⒶⓊⓃ (Post 1175752)
Sometimes certain text fields doen't allow you to copy highlighted text from them. On the TP1, I would just use Ctrl-C and it would work anyways. I guess for the TP2, you have to use the standard WM keyboard :(

have you found any workarounds??

vakbrain 09-18-2009 07:08 PM

Here's what I did on my phone :

I've install KbdControl on my TP2 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=554240) and I remap the "email" key on the keyboard to a Ctrl key. Telus TP2 has a email button which is totally useless IMO. I remap that button but you can remap any button you'd like !

Now, I just have to press "email" + C or "email" + V ... and there you go ! Got Copy and paste everywhere !!

It is working very very good :mrgreen:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...n/sshot001.png

otterit 09-18-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclical (Post 1175274)
If you select "Menu" in most things, there is a "Select Text" option that you can click. It allows you to select text onscreen.

Select Text is not available on all the screens. :(

Dragon2 09-18-2009 07:15 PM

in messages to highlight only a few, the tmobile tp2 other than having the ctrl button, theres a select messages/several just hit menu, select messages and several...... and just touch each one ya want untill ya highlighted all ya want, then delete or whatever ya wanna do

CovKid66 09-18-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vakbrain (Post 1177353)
Here's what I did on my phone :

I've install KbdControl on my TP2 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=554240) and I remap the "email" key on the keyboard to a Ctrl key. Telus TP2 has a email button which is totally useless IMO. I remap that button but you can remap any button you'd like !

Now, I just have to press "email" + C or "email" + V ... and there you go ! Got Copy and paste everywhere !!

It is working very very good :mrgreen:

Did the exact same thing here. That Rhodium Keyboard Controller is the best thing since sliced bread :mrgreen: I hated not having a CTL key on the Telus TP2.

eldersoul 09-18-2009 09:52 PM

I hadnt noticed this yet. i dont miss the ctrl key but i cant say i like having to choose select text vs just highlighting. I really hope they come out with a cooked rom. im tired of stock and im ready to start experimenting.

orlandojumpoff 09-18-2009 10:04 PM

Ok i guess everyone else missed this... but you CAN select text in text messages WITHOUT having to go to menu and turning select text on...

Here's how:
It's not like before where you instantly start selecting. Now, you press and hold where you want to start highlighting... Wait until you start seeing the lil animation (before the select all context menu pops up), then start dragging over text. after that, simply hold the selection for the copy menu. Simple! Hope this helps.

By the way, this works in emails too

I personally like this more because it makes scrolling through the threaded texts much easier.

CovKid66 09-18-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orlandojumpoff (Post 1177720)
Ok i guess everyone else missed this... but you CAN select text in text messages WITHOUT having to go to menu and turning select text on...

Here's how:
It's not like before where you instantly start selecting. Now, you press and hold where you want to start highlighting... Wait until you start seeing the lil animation (before the select all context menu pops up), then start dragging over text. after that, simply hold the selection for the copy menu. Simple! Hope this helps.

By the way, this works in emails too

I personally like this more because it makes scrolling through the threaded texts much easier.

Guess I missed it....sweet work around. Thank you!

djelmonstruo 09-25-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otterit (Post 1177358)
Select Text is not available on all the screens. :(

yeah... especially in msn messenger...
someone know how can i copy paste on windows live messenger.

TIA

sumo911 09-25-2009 04:26 AM

FingerKeyboard has a copy and paste function which works really well. It is, IMO, a much better alternative than switching back & forth to the default WM keyboard solely for this purpose.

GoodThings2Life 09-25-2009 08:26 AM

*sigh* If only the tap&hold approach worked in lists (File Explorer, Email, etc).

jmorton10 09-25-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumo911 (Post 1192431)
FingerKeyboard has a copy and paste function which works really well. .

So does Touchpal (I use version 3.5, the new 4.0 sucks IMHO).

I never use the hardware KB, TouchPal has more useful functions & is 50 times faster than a hardware KB if you use the T+ function........

~John

CovKid66 09-25-2009 01:35 PM

If you are using the Rhodium Keyboard Controller and mapped your Messaging, or some other keyboard, key to the "Control" function, consider the following:

Remap the Fn+C, Fn+X, and Fn+V keys to their own values (C, X, and V) but also check the Ctrl checkbox for those mappings. Then to use Copy, Cut, and Paste you simply use Fn+C, or Fn+X, or Fn+V. This is much cleaner and when you think about it logical.

You can then restore the original functionality of the Messaging key, or whatever key you remapped to Control.

You can also do this with the Left and Right arrows. Fn+Left and Fn+Right arrow will then move the cursor to the previous or next word. Works great in Messaging, or anywhere else you might type. Of course in this case you loose the FN actions originally mapped to those keys, but in my case (Telus) that's just the browser and comm manager. Personally I can't recall a time I launched them from the keyboard shortcut.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for this one. I too had mapped the Messaging key to the Control function, until another member, csper, clued me into this somewhere else.

digitaliceblast 09-26-2009 01:08 AM

Thanks my problems solved <3

wrn1138 09-26-2009 03:01 AM

CovKid 66 - -
Thanks for the explanation. How would you remap the Volume Up and Down keys to serve as the Up and Down Arrow keys for everything except while on a phone call? Thanks in advance.

ink718 09-26-2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1193204)
If you are using the Rhodium Keyboard Controller and mapped your Messaging, or some other keyboard, key to the "Control" function, consider the following:

Remap the Fn+C, Fn+X, and Fn+V keys to their own values (C, X, and V) but also check the Ctrl checkbox for those mappings. Then to use Copy, Cut, and Paste you simply use Fn+C, or Fn+X, or Fn+V. This is much cleaner and when you think about it logical.

You can then restore the original functionality of the Messaging key, or whatever key you remapped to Control.

You can also do this with the Left and Right arrows. Fn+Left and Fn+Right arrow will then move the cursor to the previous or next word. Works great in Messaging, or anywhere else you might type. Of course in this case you loose the FN actions originally mapped to those keys, but in my case (Telus) that's just the browser and comm manager. Personally I can't recall a time I launched them from the keyboard shortcut.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for this one. I too had mapped the Messaging key to the Control function, until another member, csper, clued me into this somewhere else.

Can you rephrase that please...

digitaliceblast 09-26-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ink718 (Post 1194793)
Can you rephrase that please...

You have to do everything you see in this picture.
After installing Rhodium Keyboard Controller you go to all settings,
then choose keyboard config. Press menu on the bottom right then click add key.
Make sure to check the box that says Combine with FN key (Function key), it will also say Press
and release the key you want to assign action for. Slide out your keyboard then press "C"

When the key setup screen pops up do what you see in the picture.
Rule leave as is.
Key mode: Single/double click, long press
Event: Click
Action: Emulate key press
Key: 67 C Key
"MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE CTRL BOX"
Send to: OS
Hit ok, then press "Update config" on the bottom left.
Now with your physical keyboard out press the FN key then press "C" this will copy whatever you hightlight.

Repeat the same process for
(X which is 88 to cut)
and (V which is 86 to paste)

digitaliceblast 09-26-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmorton10 (Post 1192545)
So does Touchpal (I use version 3.5, the new 4.0 sucks IMHO).

I never use the hardware KB, TouchPal has more useful functions & is 50 times faster than a hardware KB if you use the T+ function........

~John

Do you have a link to Touchpal 3.5? The exact one you use.

wrn1138 09-26-2009 12:18 PM

DigitalIceBlast - -
Thanks for the explanation. Can you explain how to use Rhodium Keyboard Controller to remap the Volume Up and Down keys to serve as the Up and Down Arrow keys for everything except when on a phone call? Thanks in advance.

digitaliceblast 09-27-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrn1138 (Post 1195201)
DigitalIceBlast - -
Thanks for the explanation. Can you explain how to use Rhodium Keyboard Controller to remap the Volume Up and Down keys to serve as the Up and Down Arrow keys for everything except when on a phone call? Thanks in advance.

Sorry I don't know how to do this. I just followed the instructions from CovKidd66 to do copy and paste.

anywhereanytime 09-27-2009 12:22 PM

Re: Copy And Paste On Touch Pro 2

Who has the best solution for Verizon TP2 copy/paste?

jmorton10 09-27-2009 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaliceblast (Post 1194998)
Do you have a link to Touchpal 3.5? The exact one you use.

Here is the cab for 3.5

PM me for a few install tips....

~John

Adrianh85 09-27-2009 01:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (AdrianH85(TP2): Opera/9.5(Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en) HTC_Touch_Pro2_T7379)

Quote:

Originally Posted by STILLSPRINTIN

if u hold ur click down there is a option to select txt then u can hilight what u want to copy! i have never lost my copy and paste

vzwdts 09-27-2009 03:38 PM

I'm not sure what they're talking about. I copy and paste constantly.. I guess they're referring to some parts of TF3D where copy and paste aren't options.

CovKid66 09-27-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrn1138 (Post 1195201)
DigitalIceBlast - -

My sugestion would be to remap the vol up and down to the up / down keys for everything. Then add a rule for each of the keys you remapped for just the phone appp, mapping it to the original key....

Basically create a new key mapping for the volume up key
Set key mode to "Direct key mapping"
Set "key code" to "40 Down"
Check the "Repeat key press each (ms)" option and leave it at 100

Next you need to create a rule so this key will do something different whilst in the phone app. You want it to actually be the volume up key...

Whilst in the same key mapping, click the plus (+) next to the Rule
A box will appear telling you to pull out the stylus and switch to the desired app, then put the stylus in. So basically make sure the stylus is in before you click on the +, then tap the + with your finger, when the box appears telling you to pull out the stylus, do so, then switch to the phone app, then put the stylus back in its' hole. Once you've done that you should see "Rule 2" in the Rule box.
Change the key mode to "Direct key mapping"
Change the key code to "117 F6 - VOL UP, DONE"
Click on OK

Now repeat all of this for the vol down / down key selecting the appropriate down or vol down actions.

Once you've created both keys make sure you enable them by tapping the "Update Config" soft button.

Hope this helps.

wrn1138 09-28-2009 06:02 PM

Thanks CovKid66, I appreciate your help! I'll try this tonight and let you know if I have any problem.

wrn1138 09-28-2009 11:15 PM

CovKid66 - - It worked perfectly! thanks again!

csper 09-29-2009 12:17 AM

This is cool -- definitely giving it a shot. I usually hate interface inconsistency, but with exclusions for manilla, phone, and some media apps it should add some precision to selection.

Good idea guys.

Protonus 10-02-2009 02:41 AM

EVEN BETTER way to do it with the Keyboard controller/config:
You don't "Need" to map a CTRL key, because you can emulate pressing a key WHILE pressing another key. In other words:
Take your C key, map "default function" to single click, but map "emulate keypress" for LONG press, and then for the key to emulate check CTRL and "C". That way when press and hold C it will copy automatically! Repeat for X and V etc. Also I made a tab key via FN->SYM, and pressing FN->LEFT or RIGHT will skip a word.

If you don't understand any of this or just want to see it, here's my Keyboard Controller XML config file: (coulldn't attach an XML file here so I'm hosting it off my site)
http://protonus.ws/files/ppc/KeyboardConfig.xml
Just load this up and you can see all I've done, I've mapped a lot. I have some mapping for the AEButtons Task Manager and Mem Viewer as they're my favorite so install AEButtons to take advantage of that (you don't have to have it in startup though).

lefty11 10-02-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 1192529)
*sigh* If only the tap&hold approach worked in lists (File Explorer, Email, etc).

yes , this is one feature that should have been a no brainer in my mind, but at least email gives the option to go to menu, select several messages, (one by one click) and then delete several at once...I was getting tired of doing the open each and delete

badsez 10-14-2009 12:08 AM

Please see my question in red below..
i'd appreciate a screen shot.
thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CovKid66 (Post 1197819)
My sugestion would be to remap the vol up and down to the up / down keys for everything. Then add a rule for each of the keys you remapped for just the phone appp, mapping it to the original key....

Basically create a new key mapping for the volume up key
Set key mode to "Direct key mapping"
Set "key code" to "40 Down" Do you mean "38 Up"?? pls. explain.. i'm confused about a up key being mapped to down!!..

Next you need to create a rule so this key will do something different whilst in the phone app. You want it to actually be the volume up key...

Whilst in the same key mapping, click the plus (+) next to the Rule
A box will appear telling you to pull out the stylus and switch to the desired app, then put the stylus in. So basically make sure the stylus is in before you click on the +, then tap the + with your finger, when the box appears telling you to pull out the stylus, do so, then switch to the phone app, then put the stylus back in its' hole. Once you've done that you should see "Rule 2" in the Rule box.
Change the key mode to "Direct key mapping"
Change the key code to "117 F6 - VOL UP, DONE"
Click on OK

Now repeat all of this for the vol down / down key selecting the appropriate down or vol down actions.

Once you've created both keys make sure you enable them by tapping the "Update Config" soft button.

Hope this helps.