PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Official Sprint TP2 Pros and Cons thread... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82664)

KrazyKevin76 09-04-2009 09:51 PM

Official Sprint TP2 Pros and Cons thread...

I know you guys have only had the phone for a few hours, but honestly, what do you think? I'm definately gonna get one, but just waiting to hear just how good this phone really is. I've only got a $75 credit coming so I really want to make sure it is worth it. So, if it really snappier? I know it looks great, but I was just unsure of what to think about all the hoopla about how it was exactly the same phone just bigger screen.

So, is it just the same phone with a bigger screen? I would love to know the pro's and cons of this phone verus the TP1. Plz? Also, I know its to early to tell, but how is the batttttterrrry????

THanks guys in advance. I'm glad yall didn't Revolt!!!!!

themuffinman 09-04-2009 09:53 PM

Re: Official Sprint TP2 Pros and Cons thread...

I love mines so far, it is very responsive especially for a stock rom and its really not that big and to me it feels better and more comfortable in my hand compared to the tp1. Really gonna need to get use to not having a d-pad though. I keep finding myself pausing trying to figure out what to do next instead of just touching the screen.

correct 09-04-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1141378)
I love mines so far, it is very responsive especially for a stock rom and its really not that big and to me it feels better and more comfortable in my hand compared to the tp1. Really gonna need to get use to not having a d-pad though. I keep finding myself pausing trying to figure out what to do next instead of just touching the screen.

you can always use the direction arrows, and enter key on the keyboard whenever possible.

themuffinman 09-04-2009 10:16 PM

I may be the only person that feels this way but I kind of like the grey theme with the orange highlights as well.

BRIVERS73 09-04-2009 10:21 PM

Loving my Pro2 as well. The build quality is really top notch this time around. Even the battery door feels sturdy & well made. The screen is slick & browsing the web is a blast. I find myself using the keyboard every chance I get. The only cons I got thus far is not being able to remap the back button, the fact that I have to pull the battery cover to perform a soft reset, sometimes the zoom bar sticks and the lack of a case....

BRIVERS73 09-04-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1141426)
I may be the only person that feels this way but I kind of like the grey theme with the orange highlights as well.

To each their own...:)

Nygel 09-04-2009 10:27 PM

will it squeeze in ur old pro case or those that have the Mogul will it fit in that case. And also does it have a screen protector?

themuffinman 09-04-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRIVERS73 (Post 1141436)
Loving my Pro2 as well. The build quality is really top notch this time around. Even the battery door feels sturdy & well made. The screen is slick & browsing the web is a blast. I find myself using the keyboard every chance I get. The only cons I got thus far is not being able to remap the back button, the fact that I have to pull the battery cover to perform a soft reset the zoom bar sticks sometimes and the lack of a case....

I found my mogul's leather case laying around and it works perfectly. I was gonna buy one in the morning but after using my old case there is definitely no need for me to buy one now.

jimmyz 09-04-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1141426)

At first I thought my phone was faulty - that grey background is not very sharp- I perfer the black of my touch pro1- does everyone have that "washed out" grey background?

8notime 09-04-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRIVERS73 (Post 1141436)
Even the battery door feels sturdy & well made.

There were some complaints on the Telus version that the battery cover creaked near the spacebar, so it will be interesting if you guys report this problem as well.

The Sapient 09-04-2009 10:31 PM

I'm also using my mogul case. It's kind of beat up though, so I'll have to replace it at some point.

Is there a way to apply wallpaper to screens other than the home screen?

BRIVERS73 09-04-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nygel (Post 1141447)
does it have a screen protector?

yes it comes with a screen protector although I will be purchasing Brando's version when it becomes available

themuffinman 09-04-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1141454)
There were some complaints on the Telus version that the battery cover creaked near the spacebar, so it will be interesting if you guys report this problem as well.

No problems with that at all, no noises and I don't have that battery cover buldge like on some of the telus ones.(like mighty mike for example)

8notime 09-04-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themuffinman (Post 1141461)
No problems with that at all, no noises and I don't have that battery cover buldge like on some of the telus ones.(like mighty mike for example)

That's great news.

BRIVERS73 09-04-2009 10:38 PM

Im digging this Opera Build (16983) as well...

Ticklemepinks 09-04-2009 11:07 PM

so to anyone who ordered it... did you guys get it before the date it stated on ups, it said i'm not gettin it til wed. i ordered it thurs, shouldn't it get here tuesday???

noob007 09-04-2009 11:34 PM

I am from Sprintusers and some guys over are saying that its not worth the upgrade from the TP1. They have mentioned that upgrading to TP2 makes you loose the magnetic stylus, LED flash,internal memory for storage, 32 megs ram, light sensor for auto dimming,hybrid capacitive lower dpad and something about no drivers. Can someone explain that one?

eman 09-04-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotboy8628 (Post 1141519)
so to anyone who ordered it... did you guys get it before the date it stated on ups, it said i'm not gettin it til wed. i ordered it thurs, shouldn't it get here tuesday???

I am guessing it has to do where you live? A lot of us who ordered it Thurs got it today....I didn't ask for overnight shipping or anything but I have always received my phones next day when ordering through telesales......

jimmyz 09-05-2009 12:23 AM

Is there less "storage" and "program" memory available compared to the touch pro1?

KrazyKevin76 09-05-2009 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming!! Has anyone noticed a increase/decrease of performance? Like watching video, or using different apps? Also, I know on the TP1 using google maps, the GPS lagged behind. Does this still happen?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it appears the only negatives so far is:
1. Not much of a upgrade from TP1 for the money
2. Some do not like the color of the tflo theme
3. Maybe less memory?
4. Loss of flash
5. Magnetic stylus gone? This could be an issue, but did HTC come up with a better
idea?

2kmy477 09-05-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyz (Post 1141626)
Is there less "storage" and "program" memory available compared to the touch pro1?

program memory is less but storage is more.I also found out that bluetooth got a total facelift,I believe it has a new BT stack now,by using my Plantronics Voyager 855 stereo BT headset,i can only control audio from the headset itslef but not on the device anymore,good thing is,bt music audio is much louder now than my Diamond b4,i'm going to try my Moto S9 HD tonight when i get time to see how it sounds like.

noob007 09-05-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob007 (Post 1141550)
I am from Sprintusers and some guys over are saying that its not worth the upgrade from the TP1. They have mentioned that upgrading to TP2 makes you loose the magnetic stylus, LED flash,removable flash card, 32 megs ram, hybrid capacitive lower dpad and something about no drivers. Can someone explain that one?

Can anyone verify all this info please.

orlandojumpoff 09-05-2009 10:54 AM

noob,
yes it no longer has the flash led light for the camera, no more magnetic stylus.... i don't know where they got the no card crap. of course it has the micro sdhc card slot. you have slightly less ram... and hybrid capacitive dpad? lol that thing is garbage.

what you do get is a much larger screen, a full tilting display with qwerty keyboard, 3.5mm audio jack finally. much more responsive screen, better build quality from what everyone has been saying about the diff models from other carriers and sprints too.

My guess are people are hating just because they dont ahve the disposable income to spend on the tp2. You obviously wouldnt turn down an upgrade if given the opportunity just because of a missing flash light and magnetic stylus. if the stylus stays in, who cares if it's magnetic.

edit: they may have been talking about the card slot being moved under the battery cover

dukedvl 09-05-2009 11:02 AM

I think that poster might have meant that is does not come with a flash card like the TP and Mogul did.

CosmoPilot 09-05-2009 11:13 AM

So far, I'm very excited about this new device. The TF3D interface is fast and responsive. I'm trying to figure out how to live without a D Pad as well.

For instance, when you need to select an item to delete it etc., it just opens the item. With a D Pad, I could just scroll down towards it. Now the keyboard has arrow keys which address this, but not much use in portrait mode. sometimes, i'd like to be able to scroll down. In screens where text is required in portrait, a keyboard appears on screen, and it too has arrows. Therefore, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Glaring annoyances I see immediately:

1. When I text someone, I get a pop-up window stating my text message was sent. I really don't need this.
2. The only way to turn on the screen is by pressing the power button on the top of the device, pulling out the styalus, or sliding out the keyboard. I noticed this is a pain when I want to just make a phone call. I'd like to be able to wake the screen up by pressing the "Phone Send" hard key and have it go straight to the dialer.
3. The USB and AC power adapter are used togeter. Therefore, I can't have a dedicated wall charger and a USB hooked up to my computer at the same time without going out and purchasing an additional USB cable (come on Sprint...$600 bones for a BUSINESS Device...how about letting the user connect to our computers without unplugging our wall adapter)!

These 3 issues, are NOT deal breakers. Please don't take this post wrong, this phone is AWESOME!!! The screen is beautiful, the keyboard is top notch, the features and additional software on the phone are superior, web browsing is no longer a chore, but an enjoyment, speaker quality and noise cancellation is nicely done.

Don't let my "annoyances" sway you against this phone...it is the best phone I've had to date!

I'm hoping someone will be able to hack these away (minues the cord issue).

Cosmo

themuffinman 09-05-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob007 (Post 1141550)
I am from Sprintusers and some guys over are saying that its not worth the upgrade from the TP1. They have mentioned that upgrading to TP2 makes you loose the magnetic stylus, LED flash,removable flash card, 32 megs ram, hybrid capacitive lower dpad and something about no drivers. Can someone explain that one?

One thing you have to remember is that we are all different people with different needs. Ok so it doesn't have a magnetic stylus, that doesn't bother me at all and doesn't prevent me from using the phone the way I normally would. Removable flash card? I am assuming you mean memory card. Now come on, how many of us actually use the one that it comes with? If it did come with one it would probably a 512mb or 1gb card, is that really a deal breaker? Hell you could easily get an 8gb for $13 free shipping. Now the ram issue I can understand but once you see how responsive this phone is especially running a stock rom then it won't be an issue any more. Yes the lack of a dpad will take some getting used to but thats the case with anything new and as far as no drivers, thats been an on going issue and not specifically related to the tp2 itself. If you are on the fence about getting one, remember sprint will give you 30 days to try it out. Make a decision on based on whats important to you and not what some else said. I really like this phone alot and I don't have any regrets at all about getting it and it was definitely worth the purchase. And yes I am upset about the lack of flash for the camera:sad:

p-slim 09-05-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmoPilot (Post 1142164)
So far, I'm very excited about this new device. The TF3D interface is fast and responsive. I'm trying to figure out how to live without a D Pad as well.

For instance, when you need to select an item to delete it etc., it just opens the item. With a D Pad, I could just scroll down towards it. Now the keyboard has arrow keys which address this, but not much use in portrait mode. sometimes, i'd like to be able to scroll down. In screens where text is required in portrait, a keyboard appears on screen, and it too has arrows. Therefore, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Glaring annoyances I see immediately:

1. When I text someone, I get a pop-up window stating my text message was sent. I really don't need this.
2. The only way to turn on the screen is by pressing the power button on the top of the device, pulling out the styalus, or sliding out the keyboard. I noticed this is a pain when I want to just make a phone call. I'd like to be able to wake the screen up by pressing the "Phone Send" hard key and have it go straight to the dialer.
3. The USB and AC power adapter are used togeter. Therefore, I can't have a dedicated wall charger and a USB hooked up to my computer at the same time without going out and purchasing an additional USB cable (come on Sprint...$600 bones for a BUSINESS Device...how about letting the user connect to our computers without unplugging our wall adapter)!

These 3 issues, are NOT deal breakers. Please don't take this post wrong, this phone is AWESOME!!! The screen is beautiful, the keyboard is top notch, the features and additional software on the phone are superior, web browsing is no longer a chore, but an enjoyment, speaker quality and noise cancellation is nicely done.

Don't let my "annoyances" sway you against this phone...it is the best phone I've had to date!

I'm hoping someone will be able to hack these away (minues the cord issue).

Cosmo

1) you can fix the text thing by using these tips and modifications.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78019

2) with the tp1 pressing the phone hard key will not turn the phone on either, so turning the phone on is the same as with the first tp1.

3) that does kind of suck using them both at the same time but to get a mini usb cable for a computer most people have 2 or 3 laying around, I have about 7 or 8. The mini usb cable from the 1st tp works or any mini usb from a camera or other phone or device will work also so this shouldn't really be a detorrent for anyone.

remydakid 09-05-2009 01:33 PM

pros: the new touchflo. great keyboard, 3.5 MM
cons:NO flash, a bit heavy. doesn't come with headphones, or holster

~~i hate the screen vibe..

JZ* 09-05-2009 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=p-slim;1142197]1) you can fix the text thing by using these tips and modifications.

QUOTE]

Isn't there a registry hack to do this as well? Anybody remember? Thanks

freeza 09-05-2009 01:38 PM

Umm...a mere 16 hours later and i'm glad i made the purchase. I think it's a worthy upgrade from the TP1.

Opening the Windows folder takes 1 second.....ON STOCK ROM. how awesome is that?

TF3Dv2 is AWESOME.

8notime 09-05-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZ* (Post 1142411)
Isn't there a registry hack to do this as well? Anybody remember? Thanks

Yes: HKLM\software\htc\phone\phoneextendsetting\keypadv ibration should be set to 0.

tmac15 09-05-2009 01:54 PM

The bulges on the battery door and the space bar clicking were issues that weren't noticeable immediately. I only noticed mine after i had put the battery door back on for the 4th or 5th time from playing around with the phone. I guess in time we'll see if its Telus only.

8notime 09-05-2009 02:38 PM

How about the keyboard lag in text messaging? It seemed to be gone on the T-Mobile TP2 but how about the Sprint version?

soicy423 09-05-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrazyKevin76 (Post 1141963)
Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming!! Has anyone noticed a increase/decrease of performance? Like watching video, or using different apps? Also, I know on the TP1 using google maps, the GPS lagged behind. Does this still happen?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it appears the only negatives so far is:
1. Not much of a upgrade from TP1 for the money
2. Some do not like the color of the tflo theme
3. Maybe less memory?
4. Loss of flash
5. Magnetic stylus gone? This could be an issue, but did HTC come up with a better
idea?

I haven't watched any videos yet but when i do i'll let u kno. Google Maps runs faster than it did on the pro the lagging is gone for me. its a great upgrade it's just kinda price. i think it's worth $350. Personally i hate the tflo colors...the orange is ugly. loss of flash is not that big a deal and i do miss the magnetic stylus but its fine without it.

Heres My Sprint TP2 Review:
I got mine yesterday and I think i'm in love http://www.everythingdiamond.info/im...es/biggrin.gif. I like it much better than the touch pro. It has no overheating issues, a stronger signal, faster internet speeds, improved ui, bigger keyboard, bigger screen and the speaker is so much better than the touch pro. I also like the stock rom it's really smooth and it definitely is snappier and more responsive than the pro. I think the battery lasts longer too. When I had my touch pro at work it barley lasted a full 8 hour shift....most of the time it died after 6 hours. My pro2 lasts me the whole entrie shift and has about 40%-50% battery left(it may be due to the fact I get a stronger signal with it therefore my phone battery doesn't drain all the way down trying to poll the tower for service). I also don't have the old problems I had like getting text messages late and not having service in the food processing plant I work in.

freeza 09-05-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1142197)
1) you can fix the text thing by using these tips and modifications.

2) with the tp1 pressing the phone hard key will not turn the phone on either, so turning the phone on is the same as with the first tp1.

3) that does kind of suck using them both at the same time but to get a mini usb cable for a computer most people have 2 or 3 laying around, I have about 7 or 8. The mini usb cable from the 1st tp works or any mini usb from a camera or other phone or device will work also so this shouldn't really be a detorrent for anyone.

lol exactly. I have so many usb cords laying around it's unbelievable

searcher61 09-05-2009 03:53 PM

I don't know which phones many of you are coming from...but I had a diamond. I like this phone MUCH better than the Diamond. I am getting older and have big hands..(you know what they say..LOL). Love the screen, the keyboard, the responsiveness. The phone was expensive but it feels expensive. I love the way the keyboard lights up.... I did not realize that I used the D-Pad for so many things...so I am trying to get used to the lack of one. I hope 6.5 is more finger friendly...I hate using my stylus, though because the screen is so large I use it less frequently. So far I have to say this phone is a winner.

I gave my son my Diamond and we did an ESN swap to put it on his number. After that he did not have any internet. Was on the phone with SPRINT for 2 hrs to fix his Diamond, they told me to take it to the store. I did that today....while I was there I brought out my PRO2. WOW, you should have seen all the Sales people and even the Tech's wanting to look at it and touch it. Made quite an impression on them...most of them LOVED the phone, they had only seen it in pictures. They all wanted to know how I got it already..... I just smiled.

tek818 09-05-2009 04:20 PM

I love the TP2 for the most part compared to the TP1. I dont know if it is just my phone, but the space bar on the keyboard doesn't click as firmly as the other keys, so it is hard to know if it was a successful key-press without looking up at the message.

Anyone else experiencing this?

jimmyz 09-05-2009 04:32 PM

My 2 cents
Pro
1)screen size- this is huge, with the tp1 I never used the on screen keyboard- now I can use it easily when I need to do some quick text entry
2) the new touchflo is great
3) 3.5 jack is great- no more carrying an adaptor around
4) battery life seems better

Cons- these seem minor and fixable (expecially the sprint theme)
1) Sprints theme is horrible- why choose gray and orange? the clock doesn't stand out that well- imo the tp1 theme was so much clearer
2) TomTom 6 doesn't work- display is messed up- but on the other hand this forced me to switch to Garmin which works great and seems to include free traffic
3) no tab key on the keyboard

other- what rebate form is everyone using- the one that covers purchases through the 7th does not include the touch pro2 (probably cause it wasn't due out till the 8th)
Also- where can we go for sprint specific hacks- i.e. how to edit out the sprint music banner, how to tether etc

JZ* 09-05-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac15 (Post 1142440)
The bulges on the battery door and the space bar clicking were issues that weren't noticeable immediately. I only noticed mine after i had put the battery door back on for the 4th or 5th time from playing around with the phone. I guess in time we'll see if its Telus only.

Are you removing the stylus first? I noticed when I took it off the first time, i didnt do that, I got ot off, but tweeked it...I now remove it! Anyway...maybe that helps:)

JZ* 09-05-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8notime (Post 1142439)
Yes: HKLM\software\htc\phone\phoneextendsetting\keypadv ibration should be set to 0.

Nevermind...found it (search...Duh!)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settin gs] Set SMSNoSentMsg to 1