PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

pbeaul is keeping up the good workpbeaul is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pro 2 is Also missing 3d accelaration. Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Come ON! HOw much is a driver gonna cost? 1000000000 dollars? Its a small code for gods sake! matter of fact they have it written for the GUP already! Its not like the just design a GPU and say.."Now how do we program it?" No... the drivers are done and finished.
How much it costs to create a graphics driver is irrelevant. And you're clueless if you think graphics drivers are "small code" they are among the hardest to write and definitely up there in complexity. I'm a programmer, I've worked on low level devices and also had to write basic drivers before.

Where do I state that the drivers are not done? Of course they are done... that's not the debate. The debate is whether or not the device is significantly disabled by the omission of the drivers. More specifically, to the point where it will detract a significant percentage of potential buyers.

It's a VERY BASIC business decision, I don't know how much licensing costs, and the terms surrounding the licensing agreements. But HTC obviously doesn't feel that drivers are that important or that not including them will hurt the sales of a given product. Don't like it... no one is forcing you to buy an HTC Touch pro 2, with or without drivers.

Last edited by pbeaul; 08-30-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: business -> graphics
Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeaul View Post
How much it costs to create a business driver is irrelevant. And you're clueless if you think graphics drivers are "small code" they are among the hardest to write and definitely up there in complexity. I'm a programmer, I've worked on low level devices and also had to write basic drivers before.

Where do I state that the drivers are not done? Of course they are done... that's not the debate. The debate is whether or not the device is significantly disabled by the omission of the drivers. More specifically, to the point where it will detract a significant percentage of potential buyers.

It's a VERY BASIC business decision, I don't know how much licensing costs, and the terms surrounding the licensing agreements. But HTC obviously doesn't feel that drivers are that important or that not including them will hurt the sales of a given product. Don't like it... no one is forcing you to buy an HTC Touch pro 2, with or without drivers.
Hence again, we don't have a choice....

and if you work with drivers you should know how important they are

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
It is EXACTLY the same thing...I'm sure at least 30% or more of the world population eats like this if not more..because to them its part of daily life and they don't have a choice...if you were starving you'd eat food off the floor before you know it. Same thing...we don't have much choice other then the TP2 for business use if we want a function phone, if another manufacturer like Samsung were to release similar phone with drivers, then I'd obviously go that way.
There you go again... You seem to be COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that NO ONE forced you to pay for the device! You have a CHOICE to eat at a restaurant with or without utensils. If a restaurant feels that it can survive by not offering cutlery to its patrons than that's THEIR business choice. But I, like most others will probably visit the restaurant next door.

You're confusing your level of choice... you don't get to pick what HTC does or doesn't do with its device. Only whether or not you're going to purchase it.

And please spare me the 3rd world talk when referencing a 500+ dollar communication device/toy. Makes your argument sound awfully weak and a little retarded if you ask me.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
There you go again... You seem to be COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that NO ONE forced you to pay for the device! You have a CHOICE to eat at a restaurant with or without utensils. If a restaurant feels that it can survive by not offering cutlery to its patrons than that's THEIR business choice. But I, like most others will probably visit the restaurant next door.

You're confusing your level of choice... you don't get to pick what HTC does or doesn't do with its device. Only whether or not you're going to purchase it.

And please spare me the 3rd world talk when referencing a 500+ dollar communication device/toy. Makes your argument sound awfully weak and a little retarded if you ask me.
Yes..and ignoring facts makes your argument sound strong? I view everything on a scale...you told me only 0.01% would be interested but that is on a eccentric of USA only. The proper way to look at it is to include everyone regardless 3rd world country or not, thats why I said 30% and not 90%. I could have easily ignored all countries with wealth but I did not..and I'm sure even 30% was a smaller then it really is.

Personally I am getting a TP2..BUT you don't realize one thing...WE DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE! its get this or not, but that is not a choice..choice involves "options". If we do not have options we might as well be in a 3rd world country. You said it yourself, you'd go to a restaurant next door, but there is none, that is the only one..so your choice is to eat there or not eat at all.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

Would you buy a car without a engine? Sure you can say "its your choice to buy the car with or without the engine". And if you know it doesnt have a engine but you can push it then theres ppl who wanna push it. lol
Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy
Threadstarter

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

BTW.. drivers are not simple so I correct myself. Althou they are not impossible and they are not worth extra money. Evrything in telecommunicATIONS REQUIRE DRIVERS SO THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE INCLUDED. oNCE WE LET COMPANIES START TAKING AWAY SNIPS AND BITS THEN THEY WILL CHARGE EXTRA NOT ONLY FOR DRIVERS BUT FOR Colors on the screen.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
BTW.. drivers are not simple so I correct myself. Althou they are not impossible and they are not worth extra money. Evrything in telecommunicATIONS REQUIRE DRIVERS SO THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE INCLUDED. oNCE WE LET COMPANIES START TAKING AWAY SNIPS AND BITS THEN THEY WILL CHARGE EXTRA NOT ONLY FOR DRIVERS BUT FOR Colors on the screen.
One thing at a time...I would prefer to pay extra to just get the drivers already as an option then wait years for them to finally decide to give them free.

Just like lets say your in an apartment, and you don't get enough heat during winter...sure you can argue forever with the landlord..or you can buy an electric heater yourself first so your still warm, then argue. Get the point?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Yes..and ignoring facts makes your argument sound strong? I view everything on a scale...you told me only 0.01% would be interested but that is on a eccentric of USA only. The proper way to look at it is to include everyone regardless 3rd world country or not, thats why I said 30% and not 90%. I could have easily ignored all countries with wealth but I did not..and I'm sure even 30% was a smaller then it really is.
Wow, seriously... are you that dense? I challenge you to survey RESTAURANTS of anywhere in the world and count how many of them have patrons eating food off the floor and/or without utensils. I'm not saying that impoverished people don't face those conditions... but that they're generally not eating in restaurants, which is the major problem with your non-existent argument.

I have eaten in a few 3rd world restaurants (in the Dominican republic) and surprisingly they offered utensils. But, you keep trying to play your game and make it seem like I'm bolstering my position by omitting "facts".

Quote:
Personally I am getting a TP2..BUT you don't realize one thing...WE DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE! its get this or not, but that is not a choice..choice involves "options". If we do not have options we might as well be in a 3rd world country. You said it yourself, you'd go to a restaurant next door, but there is none, that is the only one..so your choice is to eat there or not eat at all.
You'd be correct with that assumption if 1) HTC was the only smart phone manufaturer or 2) if you were were forced to purchase a touch pro 2. But last time I checked there were many handset options and I haven't seen any news reports of people being held at gunpoint to purchase an HTC Touch Pro 2... which makes that an invalid assumption.

The reality is that you're dead set on a touch pro 2 and you WANT drivers. Go buy a different device THAT is your choice. HTC isn't obligated to provide you with "options" your option is pick the device that best suits your needs. HTC never promised anyone any drivers... regardless how much better it would make their device. HTC like Apple (and most other companies) do things that don't always benefit their customers in the name of business/profit.

Anyways, good luck with your graphics driver crusade. If you really want drivers I would suggest buying something else that is known to have them.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6700 & 6900
Carrier: Verizon

buddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good workbuddhatikkigod is keeping up the good work

yes technically they could start charging for driver and driver updates but its why we have competition. If BFG who sells Nvidia cards starting charging for driver updates then people would just switch to another company or if nvidia starting charging driver updates people would switch to ATI.

Youre not being forced to buy the HTC Touch Pro 2 if it really upsets you that HTC refuses to pay for the drivers then go buy an Iphone or an Omnia

this argument has just gotten surreal
Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Wow, seriously... are you that dense? I challenge you to survey RESTAURANTS of anywhere in the world and count how many of them have patrons eating food off the floor and/or without utensils. I'm not saying that impoverished people don't face those conditions... but that they're generally not eating in restaurants, which is the major problem with your non-existent argument.

I have eaten in a few 3rd world restaurants (in the Dominican republic) and surprisingly they offered utensils. But, you keep trying to play your game and make it seem like I'm bolstering my position by omitting "facts".
oh wow..I don't know where to start but I will try...

met⋅a⋅phor  [met-uh-fawr, -fer]
–noun
1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def. 1).
2. something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

I am obviously not arguing whether or not 3rd world restaurants have utensils or not...I am making a metaphor to what HTC is doing.

Quote:
You'd be correct with that assumption if 1) HTC was the only smart phone manufaturer or 2) if you were were forced to purchase a touch pro 2. But last time I checked there were many handset options and I haven't seen any news reports of people being held at gunpoint to purchase an HTC Touch Pro 2... which makes that an invalid assumption.
In a world of business you are always held at gun point in one way or another. (and no I don't mean literally)

Quote:
The reality is that you're dead set on a touch pro 2 and you WANT drivers. Go buy a different device THAT is your choice. HTC isn't obligated to provide you with "options" your option is pick the device that best suits your needs. HTC never promised anyone any drivers... regardless how much better it would make their device. HTC like Apple (and most other companies) do things that don't always benefit their customers in the name of business/profit.

Anyways, good luck with your graphics driver crusade. If you really want drivers I would suggest buying something else that is known to have them.
Then please give me a list of touch screen cell phone with a keyboard I could use in the USA?

And read above, on the htc class action, it states that htc did promise this for many devices and did not deliver.

Just as you would find a restaurant with no utensils as wrong, I find a phone that is crippled to be wrong. But to continue to do business I need to get the device. But if I had the drivers I would be able to do it more efficiently. Just cause they get away with it doesn't mean that it is right or should be done.

Edit:

Let me give you a more real example that you may be more familiar...it is standard to wear gloves and prepare food in sterile environment and all employees must wash hands. Some ignore those and don't wash their hands and prepare food in places that haven't been cleaned for weeks. (It happened at a pizzahut was it not long ago and you hear cases here and there)

You don't notice it because you aren't in the kitchen and when you come out you find nothing wrong or taste nothing wrong...but the moment you found out the truth, would you be upset? most people that buy it don't know..thats the thing.

Last edited by gTen; 08-30-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2