PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 - SharkieROM 6.5.X v5.1
Carrier: Sprint

vancomycin is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Retiring the TP2 - how can I still make use of it?

So I had the TP2 as you know for since its inception - I've upgraded my phone to the photon 4g... I needed something that handles voice calls a little more effectively, and there is a known issue with using airvana and a series of phones from sprint (specifically TP2 being on the list) that prevents incoming call waiting tones to be sent through the device while on an active call. It works if I am out of the airvana network, but I am in an airvana network where this loss of function can't be compromised. This only applies to Airvana 2nd generations. Tested Tp2 on 1st generation "airave by samsung that doesn't have 3g data support) and it works.

Going back to my topic title :

I have installed sharkie's ROM and the phone is fantastic nonetheless.

So.... what or how can I still make use of this device, while at home or elsewhere? There will be no voice or data service to the device as I have switched it to the other phone.

1. I have the wifi router application installed (as per sharkieROM) - so I imagine I can still tether the device to a "public wifi" when outside of home. I can then use a laptop and connect to a VPN service I have to browse more securely (i.e. from a tablet pc or notebook).

2. At home I have a wifi network setup. What can I do with the TP2 at home? Granted that I can connect my already preexisting wifi devices to my home network as it is already.

I'm just trying to see what other uses I can see that I have overlooked and still would make me be able to use the device in that way.

a) perhaps use it as a remote desktop to enter some of the other devices? (i.e. using remote desktop or teamviewer - although I am not sure if teamviewer is supported for windows mobile)

a1) maybe as a RSS reader?

b) not sure what the benefit is, if I connect the TP2 to my home network and activate its wifi router and have devices connect to that...

c) the TP2 has bluetooth also - so not sure what scenarios I can use with that as well.

I've got the extended OEM and slim OEM batteries - so the power is there for this device to function really well.

d) Internation GSM - I forgot that I can have this maybe as a backup if I ever travel.

Give me some ideas PPCgeeks Cheers.

Last edited by vancomycin; 08-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (htc Pocket PC: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I suggest you flash a stripped rom like Bare Naked or a Titanium Rom and then use it like an ipod touch. You can connect to your home wifi for internet access and you could put lots of music/videos on it. Then if your car has a bluetooth connection, pair it with it and you can play your music from it on your car radio.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the TP2 - how can I still make use of it?

I use mine to test out roms and various cab tweaks, and I also use it as a picture viewer because there are quite a few that I don't want transferred to my arrive. and sometimes I use it to see how things used to be every now and then.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I do have a MP3-Bluetooth headunit - kenwood excelon kdc-x695

I use to sync my TP2 to its bluetooth, but it will only do "voice" so I can not stream data to the headunit. The head unit also has a line-in and USB port. I also have a sansa fuze that I hook up that way... so TP2 might not be much of a "media player" for me in that sense.

I doubt I will be doing much "cab testing" but it's good to know for whatever may come.

I will probably keep sharkieROM - if I ever travel internationally, I can consider this for international GSM use right? The photon4g that I purchased is an international phone too for that reason, when the need would ever arise.

Thanks for the ideas - would love to hear some more uses after losing voice/data on it.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

um..use it as a wifi adapter..

you can I guess use it to find channel programming and depending on your setup a wifi remote control...

Also maybe at home use it to check emails or social network as the keyboard makes it easier to type sometimes...

effectively without service its a windows ce pda..

the only known advantage I can think of in comparison to photon is it can take pen/stylus input :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yes the wifi adapter is obvious - but in the instances I mentioned, I was just curious to see what else

wifi / music / cab testing / as a PDA /

how I might be able to use the "bluetooth" feature would be interesting - my car stereo doesn't accept bluetooth streaming of data, only voice... I do have a few bluetooth devices though.

The stylus is going to be a greatly missed part of all these new phones.
I primarily use a tablet PC when around - just because I love the use of a "pen" - I still think there are some better "capacitive" pens coming out - one notably called the "Jot Pen" - Adonit - Jot Pro
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

I just retired mine, I have Google Voice (beta tester), and use it for that. It's my bonafide music player, but Zune sounds waay better than WMP. It's also sim unlocked, so I can use T-Mo or AT$T. I have the TV out cords, so I can still hook it up to just about anything and go (you should see the looks when I do that lol). I loved my HD2 and love my HD7, but nothing beats that TP2 keyboard .
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I used to use my TP2 as a music player and I just gave up on it...ever since I loaded up Voodoo sound hack on my Epic the difference was night and day :/..I mean it will work ok if there is nothing else...but once you have a phone with a dedicated sound chipset its hard to go back..
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Use mine also as a SDcard music player while I'm out bike riding, don't want any outside contact, and don't care about possible carnage.

Arrived from my T7575 using Board Express
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

So in this situation - I have been trying to figure out how we might allow my TP2 to be used as a wifi router since there is no service to the device anymore.

I was running sharkierom v5.1 and also tried a few steps in installing another ICS program (the rom already had one) but when trying to launch it - it was not being very functional - giving me sprint related errors.

I tried connecting a USB cable between the TP2 and tablet pc and I was able to get a "established 10.00mbs connection" but it would disconnect because windows couldn't identify the connection after a few seconds.

I wanted to connect the TP2 in this way via a wifi service (either mine or a public) and then allow a device to be tethered to it and access the internet, etc without trying to use a "sprint data" plan.

Any ideas on what I am missing or need to do in this situation?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2