PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

deltapancake is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do I properly flash a ROM?

Hello guys,

TP2 SPRINT CDMA user here and I have a few questions.

Story: My phone was unlocked for me by a friend and Mr. ROM was flashed. He also gave me a SIM card and saved my contacts on there.

The phone has been glitchy: Screen goes blank, won't turn on for a few minutes, twitter app doesn't work, can't read facebook comments etc...

Situation: I want to learn how to do this once and for all but I am a complete newbert when it comes to Flashing Rom's and transferring contacts (I do not want to lose my phone #'s)

Goal: I would like to flash something that is fast, stable, and reliable.

I only have a slight idea of how the process works, but with a descriptive tutorial I think I should be able to do it, so I'm asking your guy's help.

I don't know how to use a SIM card
I don't know how to properly flash a ROM
I don't want to lose my contacts

PS: I've read those stickied threads on how to flash a ROM but it's kinda confusing and I'm lacking confidence to attempt something like that on my own w/o guidance.

Thank you.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: How do I properly flash a ROM?

maybe ur the type that learns better by watching it being done step by step so here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIM9RUV6J0w
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

As far as your contacts go, they are stored on your SIM card, so you shouldn't have to worry about losing them.

There are a few programs you can use though to back them up, Activesync is one (I think, I've never backed up that way) and I use a program called PIM backup. Either should do the same thing.

I'm sure the video explains how to flash a ROM, but I can't tell cause it's blocked from work...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

deltapancake is a n00b

Ok, I'll try it and report back. Thank you guys.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

there's also cloud sync solutions such as exchange ActiveSync (google or windows live) and MS Myphone until they shut it down so u can also backup via either one of these 2 ways and another thing id like to mention is the person in the video is flashing a GSM rom on his GSM TP2,since u have sprint u MUST only flash a CDMA ROM and CDMA radio or else u'll end up with a brick. as long as u avoid that there's almost no way u can fuck up a ROM flash.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

deltapancake is a n00b

Great!

Update: I just flashed the Energy ROM and it's working very smoothly. The only thing is, facebook still has that error message when I try to read comments and I'm still not entirely sure how to access my saved contacts from my SIM card.

All of my pictures from before had transferred over. I believe the friend who flashed my previous rom had set the phone to save contacts to the sim card using PIM? on a weekly basis.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2 (R.I.P) / htc EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premuim

aedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on repaedon is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapancake View Post
Great!

Update: I just flashed the Energy ROM and it's working very smoothly. The only thing is, facebook still has that error message when I try to read comments and I'm still not entirely sure how to access my saved contacts from my SIM card.

All of my pictures from before had transferred over. I believe the friend who flashed my previous rom had set the phone to save contacts to the sim card using PIM? on a weekly basis.

If your contacts are on you sim card, then all you need to do is have the sim card in your phone.

It should pick up your contacts from the card on its own.

You should be able to see all you contacts from the start menu contact icon. If not... then your sim card is blank...

If you can however see the contacts then you can just copy them over to your device off the sim card. There are two ways to do this.
Sim contact Import from the htc sence contact page (the bottom slide bar is the sence icons)
Or through the start menu contact page with copy to.

Energy roms import sim contact from the sence tab has never worked for me, so what I do is go to contacts from the start menu and then what you can do is hit menu, then select contacts, then all
after that long hold anywhere on the contacts to 'right click' and then hit copy contact, then to contacts
If you like i could post some screen shots of each step. What flavour energy rom are you running? I can flash that specific rom so you can see it as it would be for you

That should do it.

I personally dont use my sim card, i have all my contacts on it and I copy them over upon flash, but you cant have a sim card in the phone running an android dual boot.

As far as the pictures go, anything on the SD card or sim card are not affected when you flash a rom.

So pictures, vedios, what ever you have will still be there.

Last edited by aedon; 07-08-2011 at 04:24 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2